This might seem silly -- however...

jwoap

I was talking to another lady who is a previous cruiser and she was saying she really didn't care for the "lifts" that took you from the ship to shore?

You mean they don't "park" or "dock" the ship and put down the gang plank and let you walk off?

We are headed to Alaska, and have some excursions -- do any of you know when cruising to Alaska does the Star dock at a pier or how do they get you from ship to shore at each port.

And can these "lifts" support someone who weighs 250 lbs?

(Gadzooks I just outed myself as a big girl -- *cringe*)

I was talking to another lady who is a previous cruiser and she was saying she really didn't care for the "lifts" that took you from the ship to shore?

You mean they don't "park" or "dock" the ship and put down the gang plank and let you walk off?

We are headed to Alaska, and have some excursions -- do any of you know when cruising to Alaska does the Star dock at a pier or how do they get you from ship to shore at each port.

The "lifts" she mentioned are likely tenders (the shuttle / lifeboats hanging on the ship) that are used when there isn't a big dock or terminal. They usually have a capacity of well over 100 passengers. Your ship will likely dock everywhere in Alaska (and you walk off) whereas ships that visit Sitka or Icy Strait Point drop anchor out in the water and you have to "tender to shore" aboard the tender boats.

Took the star last year. We docked in every port, so you will be just fine.

It sounds like she was referring to the tender boats. Most of the time you will dock right at the pier, but some ships are too large to get into some of the smaller ports so they are anchored a little way from the peir and boats, holding serveral passengers will take you to shore. Don't worry, they are fine and yes, they can handle several people weighing over 250 lbs.

As far as I can remember, all Alaskan ports have docks, and do not use tenders.

Nita

It sounds like she was referring to the tender boats. Most of the time you will dock right at the pier, but some ships are too large to get into some of the smaller ports so they are anchored a little way from the peir and boats, holding serveral passengers will take you to shore. Don't worry, they are fine and yes, they can handle several people weighing over 250 lbs.

As far as I can remember, all Alaskan ports have docks, and do not use tenders.

Nita

On occassion, tendering is used at Juneau and Ketchikan.

When I was on the Star in 2005 (doing the itinerary now used by the Pearl), we had to tender into Juneau because all the berths were in use when we arrived but later in the day, a berth became open and the moved the ship in and she docked and we walked back on. Only time I have tendered one way and walked on the other...lol.

Now we docked in Ketchikan, but there was two other ships that were using tenders due to lack of dock space. I seem to remember reading that on occassion NCL ships had to tender there as well. But haven't heard of that in a long time.

Pride of America does this.

You can see plenty of videos on what this looks like on You Tube!!

So you have to tube from the ship to shore?;):eek:

Just kidding, of course.:)

Any way to get to Alaska is fine with me. Wonderful cruise itinerary.

Kathy

We did the Star to Alaska last month, and it was gangplanks all the way - think it was Ketchikan where the tide rises a lot so you will exit on one deck but rejoin the ship at a different level due to height difference caused by the tide.;)

have a great time.

250lbs is not a lot compared to some passengers that are easily accommodated.;)

As others have said, most of the time, if not all of the time you will be right at the dock. However, due to tides, or even dock problems, now and then a ship will have to 'anchor' a little ways out and then they lower the tender boats and people are taken to the dock that way. Do not worry about the weight - it's NOT an issue! If 250 pounds was a problem for something like that, then there are a lot of people who are borderline before the cruise and way over AFTER the cruise!:D

We did the Star to Alaska last month, and it was gangplanks all the way - think it was Ketchikan where the tide rises a lot so you will exit on one deck but rejoin the ship at a different level due to height difference caused by the tide.;)

I forgot about that part of docking in Ketchikan! I remember how funny it was and the lost looks on people when they re-boarded the ship and found themselves on a different deck than they got off of....lol

have a great time.

250lbs is not a lot compared to some passengers that are easily accommodated.;)

Thanks! I have lost almost 130 lbs but I still feel large. This is going to be my first challenge to stay "even" (not gain not lose) on our cruise. I am excited they have exercise equipment and a pool.

Again thanks for helping me keep my anxiety level at DEFCON 5:)

On occassion, tendering is used at Juneau and Ketchikan.

When I was on the Star in 2005 (doing the itinerary now used by the Pearl), we had to tender into Juneau because all the berths were in use when we arrived but later in the day, a berth became open and the moved the ship in and she docked and we walked back on. Only time I have tendered one way and walked on the other...lol.

Now we docked in Ketchikan, but there was two other ships that were using tenders due to lack of dock space. I seem to remember reading that on occassion NCL ships had to tender there as well. But haven't heard of that in a long time.

yes, you are right, there are rare times when any port can be so busy a ship will need to tender, my point was it normally doesn't happen. All Alaskan ports have docks that can handle the ships. Or all I have seen do. There are exceptions to all rules, I was generalizing.

Nita

Thanks! I have lost almost 130 lbs but I still feel large. This is going to be my first challenge to stay "even" (not gain not lose) on our cruise. I am excited they have exercise equipment and a pool.:)

Big gurls RULE! Congratulations on your weight loss...I went from a size 26 to a 12...I know how hard it is...I found that I would not gain too much on a cruise because of all the walking...try to take stairs instead of elevators, make some healthy lighter choices when dining, don't stuff yourself silly and visit the gym a little and you should be fine...Have fun on your cruise!

Archived