Balance of PAII 2011-2012 Antarctic Schedule

Mike2131

OK, OK, I know it is a long way out, but I am just curious if anyone has heard when the balance of the 2011-2012 Antarctic sailing schedule will be released? We loved the Arctic cruise on the PAII this summer and it would be our first choice.

A lot of the competition is already out there (some offering 2012 discounts) - Hapag-Lloyd, A&K, Hurtigruten, Lindblad/National Geographic, etc. Some also are fully air/pre-cruise/post-cruise inclusive or at least include the air charter into Ushuaia from Buenos Aires or Santiago and pre/post-cruise hotels.

It could be a tough choice if Silversea maintaiins the mandatory charter add-on and no hotels.

It could be a tough choice if Silversea maintaiins the mandatory charter add-on and no hotels.

Is this changing for next season?

We did SS PAII to Antarctica in Dec 09, and the 1 night Bs As hotel and the USH charter were both included, IF you took their air package. Otherwise not, but for us it was cheaper to use SS air because of the included extras.

Plus SS air saved our hide when the very first leg of our trip was canceled - a call from our TA to SS rerouted us within 5 minutes, while we were waiting in a huge line at the Delta ticket counter that wasn't moving...

But, agree that the add-ons make this look less attractive if you book your own air, which we often do.

OK, OK, I know it is a long way out, but I am just curious if anyone has heard when the balance of the 2011-2012 Antarctic sailing schedule will be released?

I'm waiting for the schedule to come out, too. My TA says it will be sometime in September. Anxiously waiting, as well.

Is this changing for next season?

We did SS PAII to Antarctica in Dec 09, and the 1 night Bs As hotel and the USH charter were both included, IF you took their air package. Otherwise not, but for us it was cheaper to use SS air because of the included extras.

Plus SS air saved our hide when the very first leg of our trip was canceled - a call from our TA to SS rerouted us within 5 minutes, while we were waiting in a huge line at the Delta ticket counter that wasn't moving...

But, agree that the add-ons make this look less attractive if you book your own air, which we often do.

Looking at the November/December 2011 sailings that are up, there is no air option quoted - just the required $850 air charter add-on. Looking at the 2010/2011 sailings, the East economy class air package is $3,599 but the air charter was $100 less for those expeditions. If it is still included (and everything else remained the same price and included the items you mentioned) that would equate to $3,699 plus the cruise fare. That puts the 10 night December 12, 2011 sailing (Adventurer Class) at a mind-blowing $11,357. That starts to put the price into the Hanseatic pricing structure for a 22 day sailing in the lowest cabin guarantee. We loved the PA II but that is going to be a tough sell.

I'm waiting for the schedule to come out, too. My TA says it will be sometime in September. Anxiously waiting, as well.

I emailed our TA yesterday but I knew she was out for the day. I'll probably get what details she has on Monday.

A lot of the competition is already out there (some offering 2012 discounts) - Hapag-Lloyd, A&K, Hurtigruten, Lindblad/National Geographic, etc.

We're also awaiting the full Silversea schedule for 2011-2012. However, where are you finding the A&K for that season? Their web site only has the 2010-2011 season.

We're also awaiting the full Silversea schedule for 2011-2012. However, where are you finding the A&K for that season? Their web site only has the 2010-2011 season.

I did not find the schedule on the A&K site but on the Compagnie Du Ponant site. There are Antarctic cruise dates posted through November 2012 but without prices. I will suppose that A&K will fully or partially charter L'Boreal and/or L'Austral for the 2011/2012 season. Tauck is also using both ships for the 2010/2011 season at better rates than A&K for the same 14 day cruise. I figure they will be a player in 2011/2012 as well.

I did not find the schedule on the A&K site but on the Compagnie Du Ponant site.

I'd actually looked there as well after seeing the Le Boreal in Copenhagen this summer (beautiful ship). Unfortunately, the longer (with Georgia Island) cruise soon after Christmas that we'd like to do isn't mirrored in 2011-2012 since the charters listed (and available) aren't long enough. So our best hope may be that Silversea mirrors the coming season in 2011-2012 since the late Jabuary cruise fits our desires.

I'd actually looked there as well after seeing the Le Boreal in Copenhagen this summer (beautiful ship). Unfortunately, the longer (with Georgia Island) cruise soon after Christmas that we'd like to do isn't mirrored in 2011-2012 since the charters listed (and available) aren't long enough. So our best hope may be that Silversea mirrors the coming season in 2011-2012 since the late Jabuary cruise fits our desires.

They had a 22-night sailing (including travel days in and out) that might fit the bill. On a per diem basis. it is probably less expensive than the PA II and supposed to be fantastic. We would definitely consider it, but just cannot swing that kind of time.

Per our TA, limited availability on the December 2011 cruises. 2012 dates expected September/October. Same for Tauck (much less than A&K for the same itinerary and ship) with the amazing looking L'Boreal and L'Austral twins from Ponant.

FYI: If you are going to book the Prince Albert II, do so early. We booked in March of 2009 for our December 19th of this year. Prices are up $2,639 pp as of this date. Of course, to get the best rate, you must pay a year in advance! At least that is behind us.........now, we can spend on the outfitting.

FYI: If you are going to book the Prince Albert II, do so early. We booked in March of 2009 for our December 19th of this year. Prices are up $2,639 pp as of this date. Of course, to get the best rate, you must pay a year in advance! At least that is behind us.........now, we can spend on the outfitting.

A year in advance to get the absolute best pricing but it was worth it. PA II cruises (at least ours) became more expensive after the price increase last year. If the PA II is the choice once the balance of the 2011/2012 Antarctic season is announced we will do the same thing.

Funny, DH and I were just talking about planning our 25th wedding anniversary (2012) and he REALLY wants to do this cruise and I couldn't find any dates. Thank you for discussion!

We are new to cruising...been on two cruises; Carnival (kill me now) and RCI (meeehhh). Our Silversea cruise that is coming up is our 'last ditch effort' to like cruises, and I think we will.

May I ask a question to those who have sailed Antartica on the Prince Albert...small boat,eh? I worry about sea sickness as I am prone to it but can control it with mild meds. Any issues?

Archived