Can't bring water on Royal Caribbean

trizzou

....don't worry, you won't run out, even if you don't bring your own.

And if you are still concerned, get an Army survival manual and you can learn to make a salt water still out of a poncho. The manual and the poncho will take less space and weigh a fraction of bottled water.

This is a duty-free shop at the San Juan terminal, like before you board? If so, that would be great - I thought I would have to stop somewhere en route to the ship and pick up some water and soda; it would be great if they had it right there as we're boarding! Did you put a luggage tag on it, or just carry it on?

Yes, it's a duty free shop. It is AFTER you hand over your luggage so we just carried it on in the white plastic bags they put it in.

Great post and I agree with you. I really like the water that they keep in the cannisters in the Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos. It is always cold and tastes great.

Third world country.... you are funny!

I completely agree and this is what we do. We always go there and take a couple of glasses back to our cabin especially in the evening, boy that's good cold water!

On our recent cruise I drank one or two of those big quart size Avian waters every day from the mini fridge and our total at the end was a whopping $32. Totally worth it for me not to have to hassle with dragging (hiding) water in my luggage :D

I don't buy water on the ship, I use theirs in glasses and it works out great. Of course the other alternative is to do what you do as it's much more convenient, but I would rather spend my money on cocktails instead!.:D

I completely agree and this is what we do. We always go there and take a couple of glasses back to our cabin especially in the evening, boy that's good cold water!

I don't buy water on the ship, I use theirs in glasses and it works out great. Of course the other alternative is to do what you do as it's much more convenient, but I would rather spend my money on cocktails instead!.:D

We spent plenty of money on cocktails too :D

In June 2009 I took an engine room tour while aboard Liberty of the Seas that was conducted by the Chief Engineer. Part of that tour included a tour of the water distillation and processing plant.

In that plant sea water was flashed to steam by waste engine exhaust heat, passed through a set of distillation units, then passed through a reverse osmosis unit, bubbled through an activated carbon/mineral bed to achieve the desired ph balance and taste, and put into the tanks for use in the ship's potable water system. The potable water system is piped to every faucet in the passenger, crew and kitchen spaces, including the public restrooms.

The Chief Engineer told us that the potable water aboard Liberty of the Seas met or exceeded every published standard for bottled water.

I take a sports bottle and fill it from the bathroom sink faucet. Your mileage may vary.

In June 2009 I took an engine room tour while aboard Liberty of the Seas that was conducted by the Chief Engineer. Part of that tour included a tour of the water distillation and processing plant.

In that plant sea water was flashed to steam by waste engine exhaust heat, passed through a set of distillation units, then passed through a reverse osmosis unit, bubbled through an activated carbon/mineral bed to achieve the desired ph balance and taste, and put into the tanks for use in the ship's potable water system. The potable water system is piped to every faucet in the passenger, crew and kitchen spaces, including the public restrooms.

The Chief Engineer told us that the potable water aboard Liberty of the Seas met or exceeded every published standard for bottled water.

I take a sports bottle and fill it from the bathroom sink faucet. Your mileage may vary.

Very interesting information- thanks for posting! Sounds like one of the more interesting tours (at least to me);)

:rolleyes:And if we follow your logic...

...we should have a problem with those who abstain from alcohol because it drives up the cost of a cruise.

...we should have a problem with those who choose not to eat in a specialty restaurant because it drives up the cost of a cruise.

...we should have a problem with those who take their own pictures rather than those from the ship's photographer because it drives up the cost of a cruise.

..we should have a problem with those who book tours on their own rather than taking a ship sponsored shore excursion because it drives up the cost of a cruise.

...we should have a problem with those who do not book a massage or use the spa because it drives up the cost of a cruise.

...we should have a problem with those who choose not to feed coins into the slot machines because it drives up the cost of a cruise.

...we should have a problem with those who eat too much and bring along their own antacids rather than buying them from the shops because it drives up the cost of a cruise.

...we should have a problem with those who shop on shore rather than on the ship's promenade because iit drives up the cost of a cruise.

...etc., etc., etc...

Quite frankly I have a problem with others who worry about what I do rather than worrying about themselves!

Yes, I would have a problem with all of the above if such terms were in the contract to be violations.

However, there is nothing in the terms of the agreement that address any of your points.

I have a very senative stomach. The water where I live is not very good. I have a filter system and use bottled water. I do have stomach issues when traveing so I always bring my brand of bottled water. Have always brought a 24 pk on Carnival cruise lines with me. This is for 2 and on 7 day cruise. That way I have no issues.

I have to decide now what to do since we will be doing our first RCCL cruise on Jan of 2012. Their water package is outlandish priced for me.

Smuggling booze, or not, has nothing to do with the cost of your cruise. The cruise lines will charge as much for the cruise as they can get. Do you think that if they sell a lot of drinks they will decide that they have made enough money and give people a break on the cruise fare? It doesn't work that way. They will sell the cruise for as much as they possibly can. They will sell drinks for as much as they can. They will charge as much for the specialty restaurants as they can. They are not trying to curtail smuggling in order to keep cruise fares low. They are doing it in order to sell more drinks..

The objective of any business is to maximize profits, as well as beat the competition.

You really need a better understanding of basic economics related to the free market and capitalism.

When certain actions cause a business to lose profit, the business must make up for that lost profit. As I stated in an earlier post using basic assumptions, a ship like the Oasis makes $18 million in profit from the sale of beverages.

So, what would happen if that profit disappeared. One of two things. The cruise line would have to make changes to the cost of other goods, services, or the cost of the cruise.

Or, they could do nothing, lose profitability, and go out of business.

I agree that they do not allow smuggling because they want to sell more drinks. That is what they do as any business. They sell stuff to make profits to remain in business.

I never said that the cruise line sell beverages "to give a break on the cruise fare". The cruise fare is determined by the cost of their operation, the ability charge for those services while making a profit, and what the free market of customers will decide which line gives them what they want for what they are willing to pay.

To think that revenue from sales of beverages does not have an effect on the cost of the cruise is ridiculous.

The objective of any business is to maximize profits, as well as beat the competition.

You really need a better understanding of basic economics related to the free market and capitalism.

When certain actions cause a business to lose profit, the business must make up for that lost profit. As I stated in an earlier post using basic assumptions, a ship like the Oasis makes $18 million in profit from the sale of beverages.

So, what would happen if that profit disappeared. One of two things. The cruise line would have to make changes to the cost of other goods, services, or the cost of the cruise.

Or, they could do nothing, lose profitability, and go out of business.

I agree that they do not allow smuggling because they want to sell more drinks. That is what they do as any business. They sell stuff to make profits to remain in business.

I never said that the cruise line sell beverages "to give a break on the cruise fare". The cruise fare is determined by the cost of their operation, the ability charge for those services while making a profit, and what the free market of customers will decide which line gives them what they want for what they are willing to pay.

To think that revenue from sales of beverages does not have an effect on the cost of the cruise is ridiculous.

To think that the cruise lines are not already attempting to maximize cruise fares is ridiculous. Exceeding that price point doesn't help the bottom line. It drives people away.

I think my understanding of free market and capitalism is pretty good but thanks for pointing out what you consider to be my shortcomings.

To think that the cruise lines are not already attempting to maximize cruise fares is ridiculous. Exceeding that price point doesn't help the bottom line. It drives people away.

I think my understanding of free market and capitalism is pretty good but thanks for pointing out what you consider to be my shortcomings.

Not a problem.

And when prices get too high, for beverages or the cost of the cruise, customers will go elsewhere.

Everything effects the cost of the cost of a cruise, and those costs are always passed on to the consumer.

It could also be a liability issue. If you get sick from "your" water (and yes you can if it is stored wrong for a period of time prior to consumption)... you could plausibly blame RCCL by saying it was their water or food...etc. By not allowing it, they are protecting their a(*'s.

The "free" water they have tastes really good to me, and I've never had a problem drinking it on our cruises. As for bottled, I usually get the large ones they sell on port days as you're leaving the ship, and I believe it's around $3. That's not much. Not enough saved for me to worry about lugging a case of water.

As for soda, we might get the drink package for the kids, but DH and I just drink the tea (we're big iced tea drinkers). I give up my Diet Coke's for the week. Would rather spend my drink money on the little fruity fru-fru ones. :D

I have a very senative stomach. The water where I live is not very good. I have a filter system and use bottled water. I do have stomach issues when traveing so I always bring my brand of bottled water. Have always brought a 24 pk on Carnival cruise lines with me. This is for 2 and on 7 day cruise. That way I have no issues.

I have to decide now what to do since we will be doing our first RCCL cruise on Jan of 2012. Their water package is outlandish priced for me.

I'll be posting in December if our 24pk of Poland spring gets confiscated. :eek: At this point I am still waiting to hear from folks who have recently been on Explorer .... we had no problem this past summer or any cruise prior.

I also am sensitive to the tap water on the ship. bummer, I know, but it is what it is!!! We will be tagging a 24 pk., as always- will see what happens for real! :D

Just got back Sunday from LOS and people in front of me were talking on cases of water without any issue. Personally, I would slap a luggage tag on it and check it at the pier, but some were carrying it up to check in and walking on board with it.

Also, we came back from shore several times with large bottles of water in our beach bags and nobody said anything.

Archived