Zuiderdam S Cabins

jpny

Hi all. we're on the 4/30 sailing and are holding aft cabin s7133. would you recommend that we go up to the 8 s cabin instead for privacy? want to make sure that the 3 of us have ample lounge chair space for sunning.

And how "formal" did you find the Zuiderdam's formal nights.

Thanks for the help

:)

after reading everyone's comments on aft s cabins.. would all you experienced folks please advise your opinion on the best aft S cabin.. 5th seems to be preferred all around and we are holding 7133.. we're newbies so indulge me pls - need your knowledge :o

thanks again

I believe the wake cabins on deck 8 are totally covered. You'll have plenty of lounge space but no sun.

Hi all. we're on the 4/30 sailing and are holding aft cabin s7133. would you recommend that we go up to the 8 s cabin instead for privacy? want to make sure that the 3 of us have ample lounge chair space for sunning.

And how "formal" did you find the Zuiderdam's formal nights.

Thanks for the help

:)

We were in 7132 in Dec and have booked it again in a few weeks. I love the amount of room on the veranda....we were travelling with 2 friends and all enjoyed spending time out there. Lots of room for the 4 of us to spread out. 7 deck is the first open deck that you can see looking down from the Lido deck. There were usually people looking down on you...but I never felt it to be intrusive...it depends on what you are looking for. Deck 8 has full privacy from above...however we could look up at them anytime we wanted. If you are looking to lie out in the sun....deck 8 may not be for you as it seemed to be shaded at all times. Let me know if you have any more questions.

You will trade some cabin space for verandah size in the aft S suites. In my opinion, its well worth it. The deck 5 suites are the largest of the aft S suites and I think deck 7 are almost as large. Deck 4 and 8 are the smallest. Deck 8 is completely shaded but private. I suspect you may also get some noise from the lido deck on 8. We have been in 5186 on Zuiderdam and just loved it. The verandah is superb. For us, privacy simply wasnt an issue. I'm on vacation, I'm there to enjoy myself, and I really dont care who sees me enjoying myself. If you absolutely need privacy, there is privacy on the sides of the varandah.

As for formal nights, it seems to be all over the place. More so on Zuiderdam than on Veendam. While most people did dress a little nicer on formal nights, the majority were not dressed in tradional formal wear. I always wear a tuxedo and my DW wears a nice evening gown. I dont think you'll feel out of place no matter what you wear, provided its somewhat dressy.

Tim

We've had aft S cabins 4 times on the Zuiderdam. We've had 7133,5186 and 5187 (twice). The one's on deck 5 have more cabin space that any of the others but 7133 is excellent also. We've never stayed on deck 8 but from what I've read the cabin's on deck 8 are smaller. You will enjoy 7133.

Also on the 4 cruises we've been on the Zuiderdam the formal nights you can make it as formal as you want. Most men dark suits and the women wear nice dresses. Some men wear tux's. Hope this helps.

We were in 7132 in Dec and have booked it again in a few weeks. I love the amount of room on the veranda....we were travelling with 2 friends and all enjoyed spending time out there. Lots of room for the 4 of us to spread out. 7 deck is the first open deck that you can see looking down from the Lido deck. There were usually people looking down on you...but I never felt it to be intrusive...it depends on what you are looking for. Deck 8 has full privacy from above...however we could look up at them anytime we wanted. If you are looking to lie out in the sun....deck 8 may not be for you as it seemed to be shaded at all times. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Did you find that this cabin was too small and that there was enuf sun during the day? Definitely want to sun and have drinks and enjoy the veranda.

We love having a veranda and we don't sail in anything but an "S".....

We don't care for the aft location. More cabin space is far more important to us than more veranda space EXPECIALLY if the decks above can look down on us. I want to be able to enjoy our breakfast privately in my robe if I chose to not dress. I like a reasonably amount of privacy and sightseers from above would disturb me.....also having less cabin space would disturb me.

I don't care for the aft view of only seeing where we have been.....or a constant view of the wake. Just my personal opinion by I like to have a port or starboard view. I also think there could be thruster/anchor noice when docking or leaving port. Is there much vibration back there?

Either way, I am sure you will enjoy.

Have a great cruise.

We love having a veranda and we don't sail in anything but an "S".....

I couldnt agree more. We feel the same way.

We don't care for the aft location. More cabin space is far more important to us than more veranda space EXPECIALLY if the decks above can look down on us. I want to be able to enjoy our breakfast privately in my robe if I chose to not dress. I like a reasonably amount of privacy and sightseers from above would disturb me.....also having less cabin space would disturb me.

I dont think I could ever sail in any other than an aft suite. I cant say that the lack privacy was ever an issue. Maybe we're just exhibitionists;) We really enjoyed the large sunny verandah and never noticed the 20 less square feet in the cabin.

I don't care for the aft view of only seeing where we have been.....or a constant view of the wake. Just my personal opinion by I like to have a port or starboard view. I also think there could be thruster/anchor noice when docking or leaving port. Is there much vibration back there?

Personally, I'm kind of partial to the 270+ degrees of view afforded by a corner suite. I also find staring at the wake while at sea to be mesmerizing and totally relaxing, and just loved the sound. Its also much less windy on an aft verandah.

As for the noise, there's no question there is a little more noise and vibration in an aft cabin. But, we only really noticed it the first night out on the Zuiderdam when running at near maximum speed. Never noticed it again the rest of the week. No vibration at all when docking and leaving port. Only at high speed.

I guess it really boils down to your personal preferences. To each, his own.

Tim, counting the days...

We had 7053 and loved it. It is close to the Neptune Lounge and we thought the Verandah was huge. I also like having the port or starboard views, especially when arriving to a new port...

I don't know how true it is (since I've never experienced it personally), but I was told about complaints from my TA who said that debris is blown onto the Aft Verandah often enough that some of her clients would never book one again. It sounds like there are many "repeaters" here for those cabins, so it must not be too much of an issue. :)

So a Suite can hold 4 correct? What is you have a Suite w/ 2 and a inside State for 2. Any chance of negotiating the other 2 into the Neptune, priority boarding etc? I might assume it would not be a big deal with a family, but am just kind of curious (and ignorante with regards to cruising).

Hi

In answer to your questions....we had more than enough room in our suite. There were 2 of us and we had friends that spent quite a bit of time in our room hanging out. The veranda had all 4 of us on it most of the time.....frankly we could have had 4 more with us and still had ample room. We had sun all day long...that was important to me. I liked that I could lay out there and read/nap in my own space. Yes people could look down on me but they generally repected my privacy. There was a table for 4 that was underneath the small covered area...I was able to sit out there in the rain and not get wet when it rained...and also have breakfast in my PJ's and have no one see me.

Hope this helps.

So a Suite can hold 4 correct? What is you have a Suite w/ 2 and a inside State for 2. Any chance of negotiating the other 2 into the Neptune, priority boarding etc? I might assume it would not be a big deal with a family, but am just kind of curious (and ignorante with regards to cruising).

HAL will book 4 into a midship suite and thats a really cost effective way to go. But, I think it would be pretty crowded with 4 adults. They wont book 4 pax into an aft corner suite, only 3.

If you go with the S and an inside, I dont know how keen they'll be on you having "guests" in the Neptune or using other suite perks. I never tried, so cant say for sure.

Tim

I understand. However when I went to the HAL website, it sure seemed like you could do 4 on the pull out. I would not do it even though the price was cheaper. If they don't help he out with the aged parents, then I'll just give the boarding/tender/whatever perks to them. Some negotiation is in order though, it seems.

I understand. However when I went to the HAL website, it sure seemed like you could do 4 on the pull out. I would not do it even though the price was cheaper. If they don't help he out with the aged parents, then I'll just give the boarding/tender/whatever perks to them. Some negotiation is in order though, it seems.

You could be overbesaring and rude, and the friendly, curteous staff would most likely go along with you - but your fellow passengers might not. If you'd really like to have suite perks for your parents - why not put them in the suite and you take the other cabin?

I think I've thought of that, but never thought of being overbearing or rude. Not my thing, maybe you have better luck with this technique.

I'm just playing the "what if" thing here after all it is the net and I am admittedly cruise newb. Apparently there is no logic to the 4 in a suite thing. Fine.

Dave is right- some of the priority perks are hard to transfer to someone else as they are tied to the suite pax' ID card.

There is logic to the 4 in a suite thing mentioned in your other post- the cabin and sofas in the aft suites are smaller and single beds, hence 3 to a suite only. In the midship suites the sofas are wraparounds and sleep 2, hence 4 to a suite is permissible.

I'm not sure why you say 'some negotiation is in order'. I do understand you want to make your parents happy (what are their ages?), but if all the suite pax who have family on board in other categories had them share in the suite amenities it would definetely cause problems.

We had 7053 and loved it. It is close to the Neptune Lounge and we thought the Verandah was huge. I also like having the port or starboard views, especially when arriving to a new port...

I don't know how true it is (since I've never experienced it personally), but I was told about complaints from my TA who said that debris is blown onto the Aft Verandah often enough that some of her clients would never book one again. It sounds like there are many "repeaters" here for those cabins, so it must not be too much of an issue. :)

ekerr19! You had our cabin! We're in that very cabin on 8/27. So it was fabulous? Say it was fabulous! :) I picked it especially because it was close by not directly across from the Neptune, and nicely midway between elevators (or at least that's what it looked like to me). We are doing the Western Caribbean itinerary...what did you do? If it was Western, could you tell me how the views were? Thanks!!

- terri

Actually, I believe if you get a cabana on HMC, you also get priority tender there. I'm pretty sure about that; there is a thread on this board (a little ways down) that discusses the perks of the cabanas, and I believe it is covered there. It might also be on the HAL website, but it's running very slowly right now. Try calling them or checking the site later.

A lot to pay for priority, but from what I've heard about how busy HMC can get, perhaps worth it? ;)

- terri

Archived