Carnival Cruise as a P90X Motivator/Reward

Synthetic

Not that I 'need a reason to cruise' but I started the P90X program this past Monday. To ensure success and discipline, I booked the November 25th sailing on the Elation (94 days from starting this 90 day program). This program encourages you to take before, during (every 30 days) and after photos of yourself. I expect to look completely different for the cruise.

What better way to stay motivated than to know you will have to be in a bathing suit on a cruise ship?

Anyone else ever done something like this?

I like the beachbody videos ... but not sure I believe someone can go from regular to ripped in 90 days ... they would have to be much younger than me.

I started Pure Barre, supposed to be the most effective exercise ...(dont they all say this?). It promises to change my body I think in 10 sesssions.

I like the beachbody videos ... but not sure I believe someone can go from regular to ripped in 90 days ... they would have to be much younger than me.

I started Pure Barre, supposed to be the most effective exercise ...(dont they all say this?). It promises to change my body I think in 10 sesssions.

I will say this - I was a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army for 10 years (our specialty was borderline and overweight soldiers) and the P90X program addresses all aspects of problems people have with home workouts - it isn't a miracle, moreover it is structured to allow muscle recovery and exhaustion with a balanced, low fat diet.

A former commander of mine saw (on Facebook) that I was thinking about trying it and he sent me his Day1, Day 30, Day 60, and Day 90 photos and WOW... You can't fake that...

We shall see, but already I am looking forward to this evenings Plyometrics session... This program has made working out fun again...

This was funny to me becasue, I myself got the P90X six month ago thinking my up coming cruise would be a great way to keep me motivated; however, I only did it a handfull of times. I now leave for my crusie in 8 days! I was never really out of shape so that is a plus but thought it would be nice just to tighten things up! Oh well. Good luck! :D

This was funny to me becasue, I myself got the P90X six month ago thinking my up coming cruise would be a great way to keep me motivated; however, I only did it a handfull of times. I now leave for my crusie in 8 days! I was never really out of shape so that is a plus but thought it would be nice just to tighten things up! Oh well. Good luck! :D

Thanks! I am simply looking to get my 25 year old body back (I am 45 and not in 'bad' shape, but need a few tweaks)...

I intend to be ripped and healthy for the cruise - I really enjoy the program...

Oh - by the way - 8 days? You can do 7 of them with the P90X double and be noce and taught for your trip!

Have fun on the Valor!

Synthetic: I do not know if you are a man or a woman. I am a woman in her mid 50's. I completed P90X. I have been working out for the past 15 years or so. Therefore, it wasn't from doing nothing to doing P90X. I definitely noticed more strength (hey, you're talking about doing hundreds of pushups each chest workout). It was not what I was looking for. I didn't lose a dress size/jeans size. Felt great whereas they incorporate yoga, pylo, kempo etc which helps balance, flexibility, etc. (Just doing the entire Pylo disc is a big ego booster) My hubby loves it. He uses it as his workout routine. Not every day as it is very time consuming. When he does chest-he uses that disc. Same as the other body parts. He continues to do the yoga as his flexibility has increased enormously.

Back to me. Vacations ARE my incentives. My mark is the three month mark (which is August 28th for our Nov. 28th cruise). Three months before I am leaving, I kick up my cardio immensely and don't miss a day of at least some weight training along with either spin bike, elipitical, or treadmill. This gets me back to a real comfortable size 4 instead of 6. This way I can pack anything in my closet for the cruise and I know it will fit.

The best part is that you will find you continue to work out on the ship. You will feel soooo great and so proud of yourself that you will workout as part of your ship routine to allow yourself that warm chocolate lava cake.

Good luck.

P.S. Hubby is 49 and looks fantastic!!

Synthetic: I do not know if you are a man or a woman. I am a woman in her mid 50's. I completed P90X. I have been working out for the past 15 years or so. Therefore, it wasn't from doing nothing to doing P90X. I definitely noticed more strength (hey, you're talking about doing hundreds of pushups each chest workout). It was not what I was looking for. I didn't lose a dress size/jeans size. Felt great whereas they incorporate yoga, pylo, kempo etc which helps balance, flexibility, etc. (Just doing the entire Pylo disc is a big ego booster) My hubby loves it. He uses it as his workout routine. Not every day as it is very time consuming. When he does chest-he uses that disc. Same as the other body parts. He continues to do the yoga as his flexibility has increased enormously.

Back to me. Vacations ARE my incentives. My mark is the three month mark (which is August 28th for our Nov. 28th cruise). Three months before I am leaving, I kick up my cardio immensely and don't miss a day of at least some weight training along with either spin bike, elipitical, or treadmill. This gets me back to a real comfortable size 4 instead of 6. This way I can pack anything in my closet for the cruise and I know it will fit.

The best part is that you will find you continue to work out on the ship. You will feel soooo great and so proud of yourself that you will workout as part of your ship routine to allow yourself that warm chocolate lava cake.

Good luck.

P.S. Hubby is 49 and looks fantastic!!

Thanks for your insight! Oh yes, the chest/back workout can be intense! I am typing to you after having done Chest/Back last night and ouch. I am a man, by the way, and I shave my head. I had to use 2 hands to do it this morning - now THAT is true muscle failure...

I have so very much more energy since starting this program - I am cardiovascularly fit and simply need some toning, but this program really gets all the right spots in the right ways...

Unfortunately I am a Type 1 diabetic, so no chocolate cake for me - I can splurge a bit and have the low sugar desert and a glass of Port, though...

Not that I 'need a reason to cruise' but I started the P90X program this past Monday. To ensure success and discipline, I booked the November 25th sailing on the Elation (94 days from starting this 90 day program). This program encourages you to take before, during (every 30 days) and after photos of yourself. I expect to look completely different for the cruise.

What better way to stay motivated than to know you will have to be in a bathing suit on a cruise ship?

Anyone else ever done something like this?

Uh, no.

I worried about it before the first cruise but not enough to do anything drastic. :rolleyes: Then I saw what other cruisers look like. :eek:

NOW I know that I look better than half the women on board and worse than the other half, so I'm about average. ;)

I think it's a great idea! Perhaps you should consider searching on workout forums/weight loss forums for others who are doing P90X. Making a buddy or two who starts the same day (or week or so) could help you to keep accountable.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Dh and I started P90X a year ago in March. No incentive except to be in better shape. Unfortunately DH had to have knee surgery so 30 days into the program he had to stop, and so did I. In 30 days I could tell a huge difference in my strength...lost a few inches too. Now finally the dr has given him the go ahead and we can start the program again!!

In the mean time we did the South Beach diet. I've lost a total of 35 pounds and have gone from a size 12 to a size 6. DH lost about 40 pounds and 6 inches off his waist!! We leave in 2 days for our trip to Miami then onto the cruise. I'm looking and feeling better than ever...but i know P90X when we return will help even further!!!

Good luck on your progress....keep with it!!

Thanks! I am simply looking to get my 25 year old body back (I am 45 and not in 'bad' shape, but need a few tweaks)...

I intend to be ripped and healthy for the cruise - I really enjoy the program...

Oh - by the way - 8 days? You can do 7 of them with the P90X double and be noce and taught for your trip!

Have fun on the Valor!

Now I have to work out when I get home from work! ;)

51 yr old male here...my wife (also 51) started P90X a year ago. We've almost completed 4 rounds. Our first round had a cruise at day 60...we worked out as best we could on the ship...no pull up bars available, so we used the lat pull down machine. If you get into the gym early enough, you can usually use the aerobics room before they schedule a yoga class or some other such activity. We did a lot of walking on the track. We also do not use the elevators at all.

I have lost 30 pounds doing the program. I did run into some knee and shoulder issues. So, I now modify some of the moves to account for my injuries.

You will see a difference in your clothing, and you will see(and feel!:eek:) muscles that are only in your body to tell you you are doing P90X!!!:D

The big thing I noticed is when you hit phase three and do Chest and Back again...you'll be amazed at the increase in pushups!

Only dislikes: The Beach body folks pushing their supplements. I do not use their stuff...I use chocolate milk for a recovery drink and use Whey Protein and L-Glutamine tablets from WalMart.

Congrats on starting! That's the biggest hurdle! KPP!

My brother has done p90x a few times, and he is in very good phyiscal shape.

It does work if you stick to it, but I will say, the real only way to get to looking like the people on the advertisement, is to stick to the diet plan. and the diet plan they give you is insane.

Good luck though, if you stick with it you will have success and feel better then ever. My bro does it about every few months or so with other working out inbetween, i wish i had his motivation!

Only dislikes: The Beach body folks pushing their supplements. I do not use their stuff...I use chocolate milk for a recovery drink and use Whey Protein and L-Glutamine tablets from WalMart.

I too take L-Glutamine and drink low fat chocolate milk for recovery. Have you ever thought about taking a Casein based Protein drink as well. Whey with food then Casein 3 hours later, Helps keep amino levels up and protein synthesis going strong.

It does work if you stick to it, but I will say, the real only way to get to looking like the people on the advertisement, is to stick to the diet plan. and the diet plan they give you is insane.

As a former professional rugby player I will say to look like some of those people in the ads , you need to do a lot more than work out and eat right. It usually involves a cycle of needles into your butt.

You should watch "Bigger Stronger Faster"

I haven't used PX90, but I do use 10-minute trainer and Turbo Jam which are both affiliated with beachbody. I work out regularly and I'm in decent shape. I may try to tighten things up a little more as we get about 2 months away from our cruise.

Others on here have said they actually lose weight on a cruise. I"ve also heard others say they gain weight. Our cruise will be a total of 14/15 days counting pre-cruise and post-cruise stays. It will be our first cruise too. I'll probably try to tighten up starting 2 months before the cruise to help ensure I will be able to fit into my clothes at the end of the two week trip.

I am smiling because I am doing exactly the same thing. We are going in April which gives plenty of time. I am finding great results with P90X. It is a hard workout and you must stay dedicated. Best results come if you follow a good eating program as well. P90X has a good one. I am doing the Dukan Diet and I love what I am seeing. Good luck!

I haven't used PX90, but I do use 10-minute trainer and Turbo Jam which are both affiliated with beachbody. I work out regularly and I'm in decent shape. I may try to tighten things up a little more as we get about 2 months away from our cruise.

Others on here have said they actually lose weight on a cruise. I"ve also heard others say they gain weight. Our cruise will be a total of 14/15 days counting pre-cruise and post-cruise stays. It will be our first cruise too. I'll probably try to tighten up starting 2 months before the cruise to help ensure I will be able to fit into my clothes at the end of the two week trip.

I don't typically keep up my workout routine on a cruise as I would when at home. Granted (narcissistic as this sounds) I will go up to the fitness and lift a few weights and do some abs prior to going to the pool area... Otherwise cardio and my cruise behavior do not mix...

I am smiling because I am doing exactly the same thing. We are going in April which gives plenty of time. I am finding great results with P90X. It is a hard workout and you must stay dedicated. Best results come if you follow a good eating program as well. P90X has a good one. I am doing the Dukan Diet and I love what I am seeing. Good luck!

Well I can tell you I am loving it - I am doing the P90X Lean to slim and firm. I am using the bands instead of pull-up bar at well as pushup handles and a spongy mat for abs and Plyometrics...

So easy to stay on this program...

Archived