Europe & Med airfare

You will have children with you.... so departure time, convenience and seating arrangement will be important to you right?

My advice is book your cruise as soon as you are ready (we book a year out and have done the Med with 4 children).......find your airline and time of flight .....as soon as posted...333 days or something like that

then...look at the seating plan...and find the best seats for you...I would think you want to sit with the kids next to you...right?

And then book the flight and pay for the tickets.....and expect $1200 to $1400 per person......so then..because of the steep price... you might want to consider adding days on pre or post cruise or even spending time in another city as well...like adding Paris is the cruise is r/t Barcelona. of course do this prior to finalizing your airline tix.

remember to buy you travel insurance with 14 days of your first deposit on the cruise......do not travel to Europe without it

and then start looking for good carry on size luggage for all:D

Finally, start researching private excursions in ports...because each port will cost close to $1000 for a family...of course depending on what you want to see......Monaco is walkable and will only cost you admission fees and food

When you are in Rome and Florence you want to see as much as possible I would think....so have that car waiting for you...with the guy waving the sign with your name on it!!!

We are talking our 4 kids back to the Med in 2012 and making it a priority to hit the way eastern ports..Athens..Istanbul. I have even found a reasonably priced cruise that goes into the Black Sea....the further and more exotic the better for us!!!

Enjoy your cruise and all the planning....oh and buy a 7 pocket plastic folder for the documents!!!!

You will have children with you.... so departure time, convenience and seating arrangement will be important to you right?

My advice is book your cruise as soon as you are ready (we book a year out and have done the Med with 4 children).......find your airline and time of flight .....as soon as posted...333 days or something like that

then...look at the seating plan...and find the best seats for you...I would think you want to sit with the kids next to you...right?

And then book the flight and pay for the tickets.....and expect $1200 to $1400 per person......so then..because of the steep price... you might want to consider adding days on pre or post cruise or even spending time in another city as well...like adding Paris is the cruise is r/t Barcelona. of course do this prior to finalizing your airline tix.

How old were your kiddies when you went, and what stateroom/suite did you book? I am in a dilemma...RCCI is charging more for 2 connecting balconies than a suite on Epic...but Epic seems a little too big for a trip where I want to be OFF the ship all the time!

remember to buy you travel insurance with 14 days of your first deposit on the cruise......do not travel to Europe without it

Finally, start researching private excursions in ports...because each port will cost close to $1000 for a family...of course depending on what you want to see......Monaco is walkable and will only cost you admission fees and food

When you are in Rome and Florence you want to see as much as possible I would think....so have that car waiting for you...with the guy waving the sign with your name on it!!!

We are talking our 4 kids back to the Med in 2012 and making it a priority to hit the way eastern ports..Athens..Istanbul. I have even found a reasonably priced cruise that goes into the Black Sea....the further and more exotic the better for us!!!

Enjoy your cruise and all the planning....oh and buy a 7 pocket plastic folder for the documents!!!!

Hi!

How old were your kids when you went to Europe, and what suite/stateroom s did you use?

Thanks

Kat

I just found a great looking cruise out of Rome (visits Monte Carlo, which my husband would love). Summer airfare from Detroit to Rome, round trip, is currently at the bargain price of $800 pp!!! Fly in a few days early to see the sights. . .that may work out very nicely. . .;)

I think we will have to wait a few years since my younger son is only seven and a half and I can't imagine him on a plane for that long. But that looks like a great option, assuming it is still there when we are ready to book! At least I have a few options in the back of my mind, thanks to this thread.

My youngest of 4 daughters was 7 1/2 when we took our Med cruise in 2008.....no problems..no issues.....she was already aseasoned traveler though.

Look at the ages of your kids and ask yourself this...

If we wait a few years..will we still all be able to go?

Will the kids schedules (college, jobs) interfere, making us have to postpone for more years?

I am so thankful that I didn't listen when told that she would be too young...does she remember everything..no...but neither do I...will we go again..defintiely...is it difficult to get everyone's schedule to mesh......without a doubt.

Would I have done it when she was 5? yes

and most importantly....

Will we eventually have to take a family Med cruise without the entire brood of kids? sadly, yes

Why?

Because time is a thief and if you wait too long someone in your family will have other priorities..important ones too...and you will agree that the internship..or the job..or the school opportunity is actually more important than scheduling that family cruise!!:(

Take the 7 1/2 year old...it will only make him a better student!!!

as far as the plane is concerned...take the latest flight out...like 10pm and see how quickly he falls asleep!! My 7 1/2 yo daughter slept 8 hours straight and was perfect for the next day!!!:)

Hi!

How old were your kids when you went to Europe, and what suite/stateroom s did you use?

Thanks

Kat

they were 17, 13, 12, and 7 1/2 and we got connecting..not adjoining...oceanview cabins..gave us 2 bathrooms and slept 3 in each cabin

we have taken several cruises with the kids and have always found that less is more as far as cabins are concerned...no family staerooms for us...just 2 inexpensive connecting OV's...works every time.

I have never cruised RCCL...I was just on this board because something interested me.....I always thought they were expensive anyway. CCL is the best priced...and does a great Med cruise. We did them in 2008 and I believe they will be back in the Med in 2011...only I feel the ports are too typical ...meaning that they really are geared toward newbie Med cruisers...which is actually perfect for what you are looking for...it worked for us in 2008. Very well priced...

Do you really think this $800 fare will still be available in a "few years"? Really?

Umm. . .very possibly. I was a travel agent, and an agency supervisor after that. The last I worked was over seven years ago. OVERALL, the vast majority of flights are at almost the same price they were at that time. The flights that have gone up have been what I consider minor increases - for instance, from $165 to $185 or $190.

Now, obviously, prices can (and probably will) go up. My experience, however, is that the fares that DO increase, do so in small increments over a long period of time. Yes, we have to pay for luggage now, which is where you see the real increase in fares, but we don't even think about that as part of our airfare. We have been doing it for a few years now, and we just accept it.

Anything could happen. Three years from now, that $800 fare could be $1500. But if it is, the $1400 fares will probably be $2200. So Rome would still be the cheapest. Do I think fares will go up a lot in three years? Absolutely not, based on my extensive experience. If they do, we will still have to fly if we want to take vacations.

$1000 in each port :eek: - but you can use public transport. In Rome for example as long as you get up early you can use the train to get into the city - 9 euro per person get off at the Vatican and then get a taxi to take you to the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, the Pantheon and the Colloseum.

I have not done this myself but have researched for a friend and found that public transport to Pisa and to Pompeii are really good value. You just have to make sure that you have your guide book with you.

$1000 in each port :eek: - but you can use public transport. In Rome for example as long as you get up early you can use the train to get into the city - 9 euro per person get off at the Vatican and then get a taxi to take you to the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, the Pantheon and the Colloseum.

I have not done this myself but have researched for a friend and found that public transport to Pisa and to Pompeii are really good value. You just have to make sure that you have your guide book with you.

I am from NYC and would do just as you suggest in my home port...you are from Gibralter..so you would do so in Europe I would think.

But with 4 children..it is well worth the money and convenience of have a private driver..they can make bathrrom stops and take you to places by car that would be impossible on foot...trust me. You also can leave your day bags with them in the car/van and they will be safe and you don't need to lug them around.

9 euro for 1 person is 63 E one way for a family of 6.

My $1000 estimate includes admissions..Sistine Chapel...Colesieum..etc and of course that meal in Rome will cost a lot more for 6 than it will for 1

too many people just do not realize the high cost of traveling with a family...which is the only way I want to do it btw:) and just look at the costs for one or two travelers

Many pax love the challenge of saving money..but for me and mine..it is the thrill of seeing the sites as efficiently as possible.....and no we are not rich Americans....we just know that private drivers are the best bang for the buck when you are a family of 6:)

also...for a fmily traveling with children it makes load of sense to hire a guide in The Sistine Chapel and Basilica as well as take a group tour at the colesieum.

Do you realize how much that costs? Of course one could just aimlessly wander through those sites...of course then the kids and adults would not know what they were looking at.

Again...you live a steamer ride or quick flight away from these places...we do not.....and therefore we cannot just hop over the pond on a whim. Heck..I live 3 hours from Boston and it took us 15 years to get there for a weekend....it takes lots of planning..time and money to do certain vacations with a large family.

I guess doing Disney during their free food plan offers is cheap though......and we have gotten un believable deals there.

Flights through the cruise lines are usually higher than what you can find on your own. When you book with the cruise lines you can end up with long layovers.

I recommend you compare cruise line price and booking on own price. If the cruise line price is a little lower, that doesn't mean it's the best flight. Oversea flights are long and layovers make them even longer.

Take control and book your own air. JMO

We sailed on Brilliance out of Barcelona and it was a wonderful cruise. We loved all the ports, esp. Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Once you make a decision, check the Europe forum for GREAT info on the ports of call. Oh and make sure you book 1-2 night pre-stay.

Dubrovnik is a very special port..fantastic.

I almost booked a land-only 10 day Italy...the airfare is VERY reasonable. I cannot publish the name due to regs. I am sure you can google it if you realize that Italy is in Europe and it would be a european vacation.

They also have a plan where you can fly in pre-cruise to one of several countries, stay 3 days or so,and delay the departure until after your cruise. Right now they are pricing me about 790 pp RT NY to Rome or 815 NY to Athens. WE just want to decide on our ports for the cruise and the rest will come together.

The website was recommended by a friend who now resides here but is from Europe and loves to take her kids back to many different venues.

We have cruised in Europe several times and we are leaving for one on 9/7/10. If you fly to London and change to Europen budget air carrier the same day, it is worth it. If you have to stay over, any air savings are used up with hotel/transport etc. We use search engines like Kayak and Momondo for overseas air travel. Unfortunately, like others have said, travel to Europe during the summer high season will be expensive. As to credit card deals, check out American and United, both are now offering high miles and first year free but Really dont expect mileage will help you very much( perhaps one way on one ticket).

I have a AA card, and have tried to use some of the miles during the late spring and early fall, they, for most of the days, want toooooo many miles for each flight and the flights are not direct some with 2 or more airplane changes. Having said that, there are times when the skymiles are very reasonable, but again the flights connections are so so, not so good for this old traveler.

What ever do not, do not, fly the day of the cruise, as others have said, do at least one day or more in or near the cruise port. By the way Barcelona has a great port and a fun city to be in, but take money.

Check flight prices out of Canada. It is sometimes worth it for us to drive to & fly out of Montreal.

It is cheaper to fly in Europe than the US.

You might get better prices into London Heathrow. Explore London a couple of days. Get used to the foreign accents and expressions & jet lag. The train passes for London you buy there.

Then take the train through the Chunnel or ferry crossing. Check into Eurrail passes. You purchase them in the US and then activate them in Europe. We trained through Europe on Eurail passes one summer. We even took the boat along the Rhein as part of the Eurrail pass.

Pack as little as possible and each person should carry their own backpack. Rick Steeves on PBS has good suggestions.

Good Luck and thanks for starting this thread. It is quite informative.

Look at the Cruise Critic threads from last fall when the Med weather was bad or this spring with the Icelandic volcano eruptions disrupted flights and disembarkations... If you can, allow a day or 2 at the end of the cruise before flying back to North America.

People who booked through RCCL got their flights changed and some got hotel rooks through RCI I believe due to the changes in schedules. If you had booked your own, the cancellation and re-booking was the individuals responsiblity and the communication was an issue as I recall. Some folks lost out on re-booking.

I almost booked a land-only 10 day Italy...the airfare is VERY reasonable. I cannot publish the name due to regs. I am sure you can google it if you realize that Italy is in Europe and it would be a european vacation.

They also have a plan where you can fly in pre-cruise to one of several countries, stay 3 days or so,and delay the departure until after your cruise. Right now they are pricing me about 790 pp RT NY to Rome or 815 NY to Athens. WE just want to decide on our ports for the cruise and the rest will come together.

The website was recommended by a friend who now resides here but is from Europe and loves to take her kids back to many different venues.

Those deals are very good and I did many of them back in the day...1970's & 80's. I dont happen to like those long bus rides anymore and the ease of taking your room with you from city to city coupled with traveling at night is what is keeping us going back to crusing in europe right now......maybe in a few year we will do a bus tour...it is on our short list.

I just found a great looking cruise out of Rome (visits Monte Carlo, which my husband would love). Summer airfare from Detroit to Rome, round trip, is currently at the bargain price of $800 pp!!! Fly in a few days early to see the sights. . .that may work out very nicely. . .;)

I think we will have to wait a few years since my younger son is only seven and a half and I can't imagine him on a plane for that long. But that looks like a great option, assuming it is still there when we are ready to book! At least I have a few options in the back of my mind, thanks to this thread.

Can you tell me what airline you found that price on and what days? 800 is a BIG bargain.

Can you tell me what airline you found that price on and what days? 800 is a BIG bargain.

It was US Air - I can't remember the exact dates I checked, but looking now at several dates in June and July I am finding $900 easily (including all taxes); which is still a pretty good price. The terrible thing is, some of their flights connect through Barcelona, but if you try to book Detroit to Barcelona, it is over $1400. :mad: Typical of the airlines!

It was US Air - I can't remember the exact dates I checked, but looking now at several dates in June and July I am finding $900 easily (including all taxes); which is still a pretty good price. The terrible thing is, some of their flights connect through Barcelona, but if you try to book Detroit to Barcelona, it is over $1400. :mad: Typical of the airlines!

I just checked the fares from NYC and Philadelphia( I am in PA on the Mason=Dixon line). It is still 801 dollars for early July, 2011.

Only prob is there are 2 stops if you fly from NewYOrk.....

But for the 5 of us, one stop from Philly and saving 700 pp would be worth it!

Archived