Live from the Celebrity Summit

wiselindag

Live from the Celebrity Summit

Today is Day 4 of a 7 Night cruise to Canada and New England on the Celebrity Summit. I am starting this review now because there has been almost no time in the first four days of this cruise to write. For those of you who have booked on Summit and are worried, I just want to reassure you that this ship looks very good to me with a wonderful staff and crew. As I write this review (and I probably won’t be able to complete it until next week), I’ll try to detail the many examples of how everyone I have met on this ship has gone the extra mile to make the experience a pleasant one.

This is my 28th cruise, twelve of which have been on Celebrity. I’ve been on both Millennium and Constellation, but this is my first cruise on Summit. Our last Celebrity cruise was on Solstice, so I had some curiosity as to how it would be going back to an M class ship.

Check-in was quick and easy. What a difference a thousand people makes at Cape Liberty! Two years ago it was a zoo when boarding the Explorer. This Sunday, getting on Summit was a breeze…. no lines except for a two minute wait for check in, barely a wait at all.

Next time I'll report on the first few days and the food and our cabin and all the wonderful people on this ship. Right now, we're about to sail, and I must go upstairs and try to make a call before I lose my cell phone service so I promise I'll report back soon!

Thanks for posting! We too will be going from the Solstice to the Summit (with a little detour to Regent along the way.) I amso happy to hear you are enjoying your cruise, and look forward to hearing more details. The solstice is a stunning ship, but we have enjoyed the Constellation in the past, it is a nice size. I'm inclined to think smaller is better these days after our Regent cruise. 700 passengers. But of course it's pricy, and I think Celebrity has a great product for the price.

Be careful what you wish for! I was bemoaning the lack of time to write my review earlier in the week and lo and behold... more time! After we left Bar Harbor the captain gave his daily post-departure update and announced we were changing our itinerary (it would have saved me a great deal of trouble and a gigantic telephone bill if I had known this while we were still in port!) We were going to head straight to Halifax and skip St. John. As a result, my carefully planned historical excursion for 13 people in Halifax no longer had a vehicle (since it had been reserved for Friday and we would now be there on Thursday) and had to be canceled. Of course the St. John excursion also was canceled.)

We headed East and out to sea to do an end run around Earl. At the moment (Friday) we are on parallel tracks, Earl heading North while we head South. It has been a gorgeous day at Sea, warm and sunny and breezy. While it was smooth sailing this am., the seas have picked up a notch and the ship is now rolling a little (much as it does on the Florida to NY run). The Captain said to expect deteriorating conditions later this afternoon so we'll see exactly what that means just in time for our second formal night dinner!

More later.... must get dressed and head down to Michael's Club for a martini to better cope with the evening to come!

Well it did indeed deteriorate last night. About 1:30-2:00 a.m. the winds howled and the waves grew and the ship started heeling from one side to the other... creaking and rolling with lots of things falling... it was a wild and crazy night followed by a similar day. We didn't get fairly normal seas until this evening. We were told winds up to 50 mph and waves up to 30 feet. Some seasickness among passengers and crew, but otherwise all is well.

We'll be late coming in on Sunday. They have told us to expect noon, although it could be a little earlier and our group isn't getting off until 1:30. If you're getting on, it will be delayed. There is a separate thread on this topic.

Stay tuned for the full cruise review which I'll post in a day or two... it has been an interesting week!

Archived