Quick Tips for Airport in San Juan

Archie-o-Texas

We just got back from San Juan yesterday. For the first timers going to San Juan here are some things we learned.

1. Be sure to keep your baggage claim tickets when you get to San Juan. Airport security checks all bags against them before you can head to ground transportation.

2. As you walk out the door of the airport go to the small stand outside and tell the person there where you are going and she/he will fill out a form stating which Zone you going to with the amount required for the taxi. Most were vans with space in the back for luggage. We went to the Condado area that was halfway to the pier to stay overnight before the cruise. It was $14.50 (w/o tip) for the cab.

3. There are car rental places on the airport but beware as the streets are narrow and parking spaces are extremely limited. Traffic is very congested and drivers are not as obedient to rules of the roads as they are on the mainland. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Condado which was close to the Comfort Inn and the Marriott. Charlies Car Rentals and Avis were within walking distance if you still want to rent a car.

4. When leaving for home you must have your baggage cleared through the USDA. I saw that the inspection stations were close to the curbs of the terminals. Inspected bags were marked with a red tape marker. The airlines will not let you check your bags unless you go through this process first.

5. We saw many people get in the huge line next to the inspection stations for check-in. You do not have to check in there. After the USDA inspection you can go inside to check in and at 7AM on Sunday the line inside was much shorter.

Agree with everything but #4&5. If you are coming from a cruise and your bags have the cruise tags on them, it shows that they have already gone thru inspections before you got off the ship. My husband had one bag carried off so he had to get that inspected. I stayed in the small check in line while he ran to the inspection desk.

I would recommend taking a later flight. We hear it is a zoo from 11 am to 3 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Ours was after that, and it was pleasant, no long lines.

Archie O Texas.............we Will Be Staying At The Comfort Inn Next Week For Two Nights Before Our Cruise.can You Tell Me About Our Hotel..........location To Restaurants Shopping And Pam American Pier.i Would Also Take Any Advise About Day Trips Or How To Spend Our Days...............thanks

hi there iwill be taking carnivale destiny is anybody familiar with this cruise

Hi Mali, we loved the itinerary, the ship, and the crew was great. If you want to see Dominica without being put on a bus and told what/how much time you have to see each site, go thru the parking area thru the gate and you can negotiate a good rate with a local cabbie ( I can give you the # of a great guy if you e-mail or IM me- email's in my profile, just click on my screen name) Make sure that you stop at Mr Nice's stand:), he's great. Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Our flight won't leave until 5:20pm on March 13th .. returning to USA mainland. We arrive at 7am.. WHere can one store their bags safely so we can do a tour,etc? Should we take it to the airport or will the cruiseline store them for us?

We just finished the Radisson Diamond 02/15/05 to 02/22/05 cruise.

We got off the ship, got on a shuttle bus, got off at the airport, and walked up to the ticket counter and checked in. That was it. No difference than any main land airport.

Here's a tip for those checking in at the Delta counter. They will try to get you to stand in the self service lines to the left, which are shorter--don't do it! The self service lines go like this. You get fairly quickly to a phone where you pick up the reciever and give them your names and flight. Nobody tells you this--but the other folks standing in line will tip you off. Then you wait, in a milling clump of people, till a harried woman or 2 with tiny voices whisper your names. Then they take your luggage and you are checked in. Trust me--don't try this. One family started yelling. it didn't do them any good. Keep your sense of humor checking in to San Juan airport--you may need it:)

Here's a tip for those checking in at the Delta counter. They will try to get you to stand in the self service lines to the left, which are shorter--don't do it! The self service lines go like this. You get fairly quickly to a phone where you pick up the reciever and give them your names and flight. Nobody tells you this--but the other folks standing in line will tip you off. Then you wait, in a milling clump of people, till a harried woman or 2 with tiny voices whisper your names. Then they take your luggage and you are checked in. Trust me--don't try this. One family started yelling. it didn't do them any good.

I must have missed something here. I can't see anything wrong with the 'self-service' check in proceedure. Could you explain what the problem is???

Mike:confused:

mike--I guess you had to be there--or I didn't explain it properly. When I said a clump of people waiting to have their names called to check in, think, a group of 40 to 50 people with no standing in line stuff, trying to get to the counter where sometimes one, sometimes 2 poor women were supposed to shout out the names. They did not shout--they said the names --and could not pronounce them--in a rather quiet tone of voice.It is a very loud place and people were yelling --what did she say--is it me--I think it's me . Then others would push through the crowd --with baggage--only to discover it was not they that were called. It was so much quieter and more organized on the regular check in side tat looking over there--I could see it go more quickly.

Archived