Celebrity tours on Dominica

Sailing Grandma

I posted this on the Dominica board also, but am putting it here because I feel more people may see it:

My husband and I will be on the Summit in February with a stop at Dominica. I know many people on this board have recommended private tour operators, but my husband wants to stick with a ship tour.

We are looking at "Dominica Favorites" or "Pools & Falls Nature Adventure." Has anyone done either of these? They seem very similar (both go to Trafalgar Falls and Emerald Pool) except one is a half hour longer and $20 more per person plus it is labeled as a strenuous activity which the other is labeled moderate activity.

I called Celebrity excursions desk, but they were no help, so I would appreciate any advice you can give us.

HI. We did the ship's tour in Dominica also this past March - I think the one we did was Trafalgar Falls and Sulphur Springs - also labeled Moderate but was a relatively easy walk (not long) to both. We did not do the one with the Emerald Pool as I had read on the boards (at least I think as I recall) that it was about an hour each way to get there (you may want to read up on the port of call boards) and we did not want to be in vans that long. Enjoy.

Vicky

We did the Hike to the waterfall but not Trafalgar. It was mostly up the river and it was marked strenuous. many of my fellow hikers were not up too the task but everyone made it to falls. it was a great trip and our guides were great. I'd do it again. Donna

If you find an excursion that includes Titou Gorge (and you're reasonably mobile and enjoy a cool fresh water swim), DO IT. It's a uniquely cool place on Dominica. Its a tiny 8-10 foot wide box gorge that cleaves into the rain forest (at the trailhead to Boiling Lake) you wade maybe 100 yards through a 3-4 foot deep stream that enters a deep pool with a waterfall plunging in it. There are youtube videos... its unique and fun. I've only been to Dominica once; did Champagne Reef in the morning and a tour including Titou in the PM. One of my best days in the islands. AM and PM were both great, but I'd make the bigger point of doing Titou again.

Last January while on the Equinox, we took the Aerial Tram tour in Dominica offered by Celebrity. It was one of the best excursions we have ever taken. The tram ride in the rain forest is very relaxing and absolutely breath taking. I would do it all over again!

Hope this helps.

Ann :D

My sister and I did the river tubing through Celebrity last year. There were about 10 of us who were picked up by an air conditioned van. The ride to the Layou River was about 1/2 hour. Once at the river we were outfitted with helmuts, paddles, and life preservers. With a gentle shove by one of the guides, we were off down the river. The water was very warm and mostly gentle. The rougher parts were fun and fast. There were four guides for our group who made sure we stayed together or didn't get stuck on a rock or on the side of the river. In the middle, we stopped at a gentle spot for swimming and one of the guides found a coconut and opened it up for us to sample. After about an hour or so of tubing, we reached the end of the river and were provided with a drinks and a light snack. All in all, a very enjoyable excursion.

If you find an excursion that includes Titou Gorge (and you're reasonably mobile and enjoy a cool fresh water swim), DO IT. It's a uniquely cool place on Dominica. Its a tiny 8-10 foot wide box gorge that cleaves into the rain forest (at the trailhead to Boiling Lake) you wade maybe 100 yards through a 3-4 foot deep stream that enters a deep pool with a waterfall plunging in it. There are youtube videos... its unique and fun. I've only been to Dominica once; did Champagne Reef in the morning and a tour including Titou in the PM. One of my best days in the islands. AM and PM were both great, but I'd make the bigger point of doing Titou again.

I agree with that recommendation! Titou gorge is great! Although the water is cold but basically swimming (with a noodle!) through a thin slot canyon. It was very beautiful. I did some ship tour that included this and swimming in the hot springs later. Great tour.

Jeff

Thank you, everyone for your help. Norm174, we were also considering the aerial tram and appreciate your positive comments about that. Woodofpine, I will will look into Titou Gorge. Although we are both senior citizens, we are very active, do a lot of exercising, etc so we should be able to handle "strenuous" activities. I was just curious why two trips to the same places were labeled differently and cost different amounts.

Hi,

If you check on the Ports sections on the Boards, you will find the name of Levi, Bumpiing Tours. We have used his services twice and we were thoroughly satisfied and enjoyed the tour. He will get you to the sites before the crowds and you will see that it matters when you are leaving and the crowds are entering. He spends all the time with you and even goes into the water and watches over all of his guests. He can be found online and his website gives detailed information about the tours he offers. If you email him he will respond quickly.

Have a great cruise,

Diane

Has anyone done the river tubing in Doninica through Celebrity? We are trying to decide whether to book through them or independently.

We did river tubing on a RCI excursion (I imagine the Celebrity excursion is the same one). First they took us to Trafalgar Falls, then we went to the river tubing. The river tubing was about and hour and a half. Afterwards they took us to a place for about half an hour that had bathrooms, and a place to grab a snack or a drink before returning to the ship.

Has anyone done the Whale Watch excursion thru Celebrity in Dominica?

Wondering how many passengers at one time and if it was worth your time. There are a few private whale watch tours and their boats only hold maybe 15 people . I would prefer to stick with the cruiseline unless they have 50 people all crammed in tightly.

Anybody been?

We did the aerial tram in Dec 2008 thru an RCI tour. You have the choice of getting off the tram at the top and walking across the suspension bridge and partially down the mountain to a way station and reboarding the tram, or just stay on the tram all the way back down. Each tram car has a guide who gets off at the top and hikes with the group down to the way station. The tram is an open cage and the walk across the suspension bridge over the waterfalls is exhilirating. Not for those who have fear of heights issues.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

2293915710096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2701529420096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

This shot was taken from the suspension bridge

2938487280096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2869072640096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2639796120096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking down at a waterfall

2009948810096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

A woman in a scooter was in our car. She just took the tram to the top, stayed on and got off at the waystation to wait for her family. The ride is fully accesible at the home base with wheelchair ramps.

Has anyone done the Whale Watch excursion thru Celebrity in Dominica?

Wondering how many passengers at one time and if it was worth your time. There are a few private whale watch tours and their boats only hold maybe 15 people . I would prefer to stick with the cruiseline unless they have 50 people all crammed in tightly.

Anybody been?

Somebody in our M&M group took a private whale watching tour and recommends the operator

Captain Jerry of Island Style Fishing

We will be doing this tour in Dec but haven't booked it yet.

We did the aerial tram in Dec 2008 thru an RCI tour. You have the choice of getting off the tram at the top and walking across the suspension bridge and partially down the mountain to a way station and reboarding the tram, or just stay on the tram all the way back down. Each tram car has a guide who gets off at the top and hikes with the group down to the way station. The tram is an open cage and the walk across the suspension bridge over the waterfalls is exhilirating. Not for those who have fear of heights issues.

Thanks for sharing the pictures - it looks beautiful. Two questions:

How long a ride to get from the ship to the tram station?

How long was the tram ride itself?

Thanks for sharing the pictures - it looks beautiful. Two questions:

How long a ride to get from the ship to the tram station?

How long was the tram ride itself?

Roads are not the most developed on Dominica so even a straight run will be 25-30 minutes. In 2009 the excursion expanded to include a tour of the island. If you choose to get off at the top and walk down the ride will take more then 2 hours and then the tour of the island will add at least an hour, just a guess. We did it in 2008 and the post-ride trip was shorter then it is now.

This is not a cheap excursion but it is a worthwhile trip; you really get up close and personal as you silently glide up and down the mountain. The tram motors are at the base station and you hear no noise on the tram itself, aside from the hum of the wheels on the tension wire. All the trams move in unison so as each tram stops to load and unload your tram will stop also.

More pics

An empty tram passes us as we head up

2425937040096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Suspension bridge taken as we headed up.

2315950790096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Bananas up close

2791487880096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

This giant leaf was 3 + feet wide

2723189930096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Way station halfway down the mountain

2607505480096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Base station showing accessible ramps

2852448520096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Cruise ship passengers can only book thru the ship.

we did a tram excursion with Celebrity in panama to the rain forest --it was interesting but we did not see very many animals or birds..

can anyone else comment about the Celebrity Pools & Falls excursion (the one where you view them but don't go in for a swim--)

Are there any stores or vendors where the ship docks?

Archived