Choosing our itinerary

SharonK

We are planning a cruise in the Med. for 2011 and would like to start and end in different cities. The ones that start or end in Barcelona would only give us a day in Rome (assuming that was one of the ports of call) versus a cruise that would start or end in Rome with the other starting/ending point being Venice for either choice. So my question is which would you prefer - to have extra time in Rome without going to Barcelona (because the Rome to Venice itineraries do not inlcude Barcelona) or do the Barcelona to Venice itinerary and only have a short port stop in Rome? Hope this makes sense! I would appreciate any comments from those with experience.

We've done both ... the Barcelona to Venice itinerary first with just a port day in Rome, and then a cruise starting in Rome/ending in Athens, that gave us a chance to spend 3 days in each city pre and post cruise.

We loved both itineraries, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. However, for a first Med cruise I thought that the Barcelona to Venice one provided the best variety of ports in several countries. I understand the compromise of only having one day in Rome on that itinerary, but you can cover a lot in one day there, and then if you love Rome as much as we did, you can plan your next cruise to start or end there.:)

Thanks for the quick responses - I have been looking at 'Greek Isles and Mediterranean' on the Star Princess and the 'Grand Mediterranean' on the Ruby Princess. My DH says he doesn't care about going to Turkey (not sure what his reason is?) and the Grand Med makes 2 stops in Turkey. So how is Istanbul and Kusadsi versus additional places in Greece (like Santorini)? We have not been to any of these places so it is sooooo difficult to decide. I would really like to go on the Ruby but I'm thinking that a trip like this, the itinerary is more important than the ship.:confused:

Thanks for the quick responses - I have been looking at 'Greek Isles and Mediterranean' on the Star Princess and the 'Grand Mediterranean' on the Ruby Princess. My DH says he doesn't care about going to Turkey (not sure what his reason is?) and the Grand Med makes 2 stops in Turkey. So how is Istanbul and Kusadsi versus additional places in Greece (like Santorini)? We have not been to any of these places so it is sooooo difficult to decide. I would really like to go on the Ruby but I'm thinking that a trip like this, the itinerary is more important than the ship.:confused:

With that information, I'd have to choose the Ruby Princess -- it's the newer ship AND the better itinerary. Do as abosi suggests and visit Rome before your cruise (if you start in Venice) or after (if you end in Venice). Really, Princess' Grand Med itinerary is agreed by many to be one of the best itineraries for a first-time Med cruise.

Most people who say that they don't want to visit Turkey know very little about it. I enjoyed my first cruise stops in Istanbul and Kusadasi so much that I planned an entire 2-week land vacation there a couple of years later. Istanbul would have to rate second only to Rome as my favorite large European/Mediterranean port. It is just exotic enough to be interesting, while still easy to get around and packed with history, good food, and friendly people. The ruins of Ephesus (the main attraction for first-time visitors to Kusadasi) are better even than those found at Pompeii.

We are planning a cruise in the Med. for 2011 and would like to start and end in different cities. The ones that start or end in Barcelona would only give us a day in Rome (assuming that was one of the ports of call) versus a cruise that would start or end in Rome with the other starting/ending point being Venice for either choice. So my question is which would you prefer - to have extra time in Rome without going to Barcelona (because the Rome to Venice itineraries do not inlcude Barcelona) or do the Barcelona to Venice itinerary and only have a short port stop in Rome? Hope this makes sense! I would appreciate any comments from those with experience.

Hi,

You will get a lot opinions for this trip. We have done the Barcelona to Venice, as well as visiting 5 ports in Turkey, Cypress, Cairo, & Athens. If this were my first trip, Barcelona to Venice. Be sure to get a balcony cabin on the port side. This trip is port intensive and you will be on lots of excursions & in port nearly everyday. Rome is a 1 1/2 hr bus ride from the port. However your excursion will cover more than you think. We went to the Trevi Fountain, Forum, toured the Coliseum, & spent the afternoon at the Vatican. Yes it was a long day & worth all the effort. The Med trip will allow you more countries & the Greek Islands. The ride up the Grand Canal in Venice is exciting & beautiful. Again if you want more time in Rome take the train. Our next cruise started in Rome & we arrived 3 days early to take in some of the sights. However when you leave from Rome you have to take a car, taxi, or train to the port. Again some distance from Rome. Last year cars around a 110 euros to port, train about 9 euros. Whatever you decide, your trip will be wonderful with great memories. Take lots of photos & relax during your tours.

My wife was nervous about Turkey and then I became nervous after the floatilla incident. But Kusadasi is great if you spend the morning in Ephesus. It's only a 1/2 port but still one of the best days. It makes for a great compare and contrast to Pompeii, which you may see later on your cruise. But Istanbul is what makes this Grand Med on the Ruby an extra special cruise. I have seen nothing like this city. From Topkapi Palace (also visit harems section there) to the Blue Mosque, to the Hagghia Sophia, to the Grand Bazaar, and even the streets of Istanbul, it was amazing. If the Rome beginning/ending option does not include Istanbul, I'd say choose Venice to Barcelona on the Ruby.

As to the discssion as to whether the ship matters, I'd say it is not the first attribute I'd look for in a Med cruise. But it is important. After all, you'll really have 2-3 sea days and that is where you'll spend your evenings. I like to know that if I want the entertainment and the nice specialty restaurants that they're there.

Thank you for all of the suggestions:D - we thought we wanted the Greek Isles and Med. but now we will seriously consider the Grand Med instead. Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Venice to Rome on the train, also from Barcelona to Madrid on the train. I studied in Madrid 30 years ago and have always wanted to go back with my DH so if we did the Grand Med. maybe we could fly into Madrid.

We are wanting to go in May, 2011. Is that a good time - weatherwise and crowdwise?

Picking the itinerary was the hardest thing for me two years ago:eek:

As others said Rome how can one try and do it in a day, yet there is more to European cruise than Rome. You have to step back and look at what you are trading off and what are your must see stuff.

It is all about tradeoffs between a round trip or one that starts or ends in Rome versus some of the other tasty cruises that only do a day there.

I can say that I was happy in the end I didn't do a overnight or one that started and ended in Rome. Not that I wouldn't have done more, but in reflection we got everything on the must do in Rome and we got the bonus of Barcelona, Ephesus, Istanbul not to mention a few minor places like Naples/Amalfi, Florence/Pisa, Athen on the Princess Grand Med. It really was a whirlwind but so many additional treats for us.

In the end only you can decide.

Best of luck

Archived