New York Subway !

richfrommo

It backtracks, so when you go back to the hotel you would go uptown. Above every train platform is a sign telling you if the train goes uptown or downtown and it gives the final destination of the train. As for not having a map, I still think it's a good idea to have one on your person, sometimes the big maps in the stations and trains get stolen or graffitti'd or have stickers put on them.

A one day pass is 8.25. You have to buy one for every person traveling with you. Maybe not for kids... The pay-per-ride is 2.25 per trip, multiple people can share it, for every 8 bucks you put on the card you get a 15% discount. I think if you transfer from buses to trains within an hour you don't have to pay for another ride.

I agree with a previous poster. Times Square takes only about 5-10 minutes to gawk at, but it's a good place to begin (and it is even better at night). There are kiosks to do tours, and buy show tickets. Now that no auto traffic is allowed through most of the area, it's quite a nice place to sit down and plot your next move. I wouldn't eat at any of the restaurants there or buy anything because they jack up the already high prices because it's Times Square.

The museums are fabulous but HUGE. I've been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Natural History Museum about three times each, and am nowhere near to seeing everything. The Museum of Modern Art is smaller, but some of it to me is not art! For most of them the admission price is "suggested", so you don't have to pay what the sign says.

We don't have time for the museums this trip but would like to go through them.

So , the buses and the train use the same ticket ?

We don't have time for the museums this trip but would like to go through them.

So , the buses and the train use the same ticket ?

Yes, it's called a Metrocard. You swipe it when you get in the bus or subway station. You can buy them at any train station and from a lot of delis and supermarkets. Probably at the airport and maybe at your hotel too.

They make it a bit awkward for you in the museums for you to pay lower than the "recommended" amount, but everyone does it, don't feel bad. I know the Metropolitan Museum of Art is open until 9 pm on Fridays and Saturdays and it is closed on Mondays. The other days it closes quite early, I think around 5... Not too sure about the Natural History, should be easy to find out. Both museums are right on Central Park. If you walk back toward downtown through the park you can see the Plaza Hotel and a GIGANTIC Apple store, if you like that sorta thing. If you have kiddies, FAO Schwartz is also there, and the American Girl Place is nearby. All of those things are free, and pretty cool to check out.

Yes, it's called a Metrocard. You swipe it when you get in the bus or subway station. You can buy them at any train station and from a lot of delis and supermarkets. Probably at the airport and maybe at your hotel too.

They make it a bit awkward for you in the museums for you to pay lower than the "recommended" amount, but everyone does it, don't feel bad. I know the Metropolitan Museum of Art is open until 9 pm on Fridays and Saturdays and it is closed on Mondays. The other days it closes quite early, I think around 5... Not too sure about the Natural History, should be easy to find out. Both museums are right on Central Park. If you walk back toward downtown through the park you can see the Plaza Hotel and a GIGANTIC Apple store, if you like that sorta thing. If you have kiddies, FAO Schwartz is also there, and the American Girl Place is nearby. All of those things are free, and pretty cool to check out.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is on the eastern edge of Central Park, 5th Ave., while Natural History is on the west side, Central Park West, so it's not as if they are really anywhere near each other. Further, one is best advised to walk downtown from the Met towards the Plaza Hotel on 5th Ave., which forms the eastern boundary of the park, not through the park itself.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is on the eastern edge of Central Park, 5th Ave., while Natural History is on the west side, Central Park West, so it's not as if they are really anywhere near each other. Further, one is best advised to walk downtown from the Met towards the Plaza Hotel on 5th Ave., which forms the eastern boundary of the park, not through the park itself.

They really are quite far away from each other. I run the NYC Marathon every year and we cut into the park at the Metropolitan Museum of art around mile 21.5 and the Museum of Natural History is at the end of the run around mile 26 so you can do the math. The path between the two basically follows the road around Central Park South.

They make it a bit awkward for you in the museums for you to pay lower than the "recommended" amount, but everyone does it, don't feel bad. .

I know no one who does this with the exception of a few students here and there. If you can afford the $15 dollars, please pay so future generations can enjoy these wonderful monuments we are so lucky to have.

If you cannot afford the cover, please don't feel bad and only pay what you can or if nothing, don't pay. However don't stiff the museum just to be cheap.

And don't forget the new Poptarts Store in times square LOL. Sorry I just had to. Looks disgusting to me.

NYC is a large city, but definitely negotiable if you do your homework. Print out the subway map before coming, it'll help to have it handy. You can get it here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

It's a great city, and yes, there are plenty of nice people in NYC. I can't tell you how many pictures either me or my friends have taken for strangers that stop us on the street. Guess we have friendly faces despite being from the area :-)

Have a great time on your trip!

Getting back to the subways. You need to read the signs very carefully and know which direction you are going. You want to be on the correct side of the platform. Some platforms have double sides, one side for local and one for express.

This is definitely something to look out for when going BACK to your hotel, as pretty much ALL subways will stop at 42nd street (times square) but this will NOT be the case going back to your origin. :-)

This is definitely something to look out for when going BACK to your hotel, as pretty much ALL subways will stop at 42nd street (times square) but this will NOT be the case going back to your origin. :-)

If you are going back from Times Square towards LGA airport or Queens area where do you get on at ? :)

If you are going back from Times Square towards LGA airport or Queens area where do you get on at ? :)

Go to hopstop.com and then put in the address of your hotel. It will give you step by step directions. Even where to walk from the subway to your destination. You need to know exactly where you are going, and where to get off. Print it out and see if this is something you would be comfortable doing.

You'd get on at times square again. Many lines pass through there, you just need to check the maps to see which lines you can take to your particular stop.

Else, you could get on anywhere as long as that place has the line you need to go back to where you need :-) That's the beauty of the subway!

You'd get on at times square again. Many lines pass through there, you just need to check the maps to see which lines you can take to your particular stop.

Else, you could get on anywhere as long as that place has the line you need to go back to where you need :-) That's the beauty of the subway!

For someone coming from Kansas, never been on the subway, you need specific directions. You need to remember which train you took into Times Square. If you took the N Train, then you need to take the N Train back because you know it will go to your final stop. The positive thing is that all the subway stations are clearly marked. Look for your train letter or number, that means that train stops there.

I just got back from Manhattan. I know the city pretty well because I used to live there, and I understand why some folks are saying to go to the museums instead of to Times Square. But seriously, if you've never been to Manhattan you HAVE to do Times Square even if you hate it. LOL. It's crazy but there is really nothing like it if you are only going to be in the city for part of a day.

[quote name='msrizzo']I just got back from Manhattan. I know the city pretty well because I used to live there, and I understand why some folks are saying to go to the museums instead of to Times Square. But seriously, if you've never been to Manhattan you HAVE to do Times Square even if you hate it. LOL. It's crazy but there is really nothing like it if you are only going to be in the city for part of a day.[/QUOTE]

I agree. If you have one day to see the city, I would not recommend visiting museums. While they'll offer great art, to me that is not seeing NYC....see Times Square - you can't say you went to NYC but didn't stop there, if you have kids go into the Times Square Toys-R-Us so they can see the big ferris wheel inside (for visiting out of town friends that was their kids favorite part of the visit), walk around Central Park a little during the day, go past the Plaza (Did you/your kids see Home Alone or read Madeline), visit St. Patrick's - regardless of your religion - just beautiful inside - and across the street from there Rockefeller Center. If time allows try to get to lower Manhattan to visit Ground Zero, South Street Seaport, etc.

If the cost allows, I'd go with the Hop On & Off Bus Tour. Stay on for a full loop & see a broad spectrum of the city & hear about the sights. Then get off at various stops later. Otherwise, the city is very walkable...all the things I mentioned earlier are within an easy walking distance & then take the subway down to lower Manhattan for the other sites.

There is also the Times Square Visitor Center located in a restored movie theatre on 7th Avenue, between 46th and 47th Streets (just next to a big McDonald's so easy to see that) where you can go in & ask questions, also always a clean bathroom to use there. You will love sailing out of Manhattan and going past the Statue of Liberty. Enjoy!

Archived