Is Igor going to ruin my Dream? Leaving 9/11!!!

GAcruiser417

Looks like Igor may be an issue for the Eastern Caribbean itinerary next week. Help! We are leaving Saturday and have planned our excursions for Nassau, St Thomas & St Martin.

If we go Western due to Igor, what are your recommendations for the following?

- Cozumel, Mexico

- Belize

- Isla Roatan

- Costa Maya, Mexico

:confused:

Looks like Igor may be an issue for the Eastern Caribbean itinerary next week. Help! We are leaving Saturday and have planned our excursions for Nassau, St Thomas & St Martin.

- Cozumel, Mexico

- Belize

- Isla Roatan

- Costa Maya, Mexico

You should check the Ports of Call thread - there are lots of great things to do on the Western cruise! :)

I'm on the same sailing as you and have been watching the caribbean weather like a hawk. I think we'll be fine.

For one, most forecast models right now have the storm going to the north/northwest, whereas it would need to go directly west in order to hit the islands.

But assuming it does head straight for the islands, it's too far away to get there by the time we are there. Right now it's 2500 miles away from St. Martin. Moving at 15 mph (which is on the fast side for a hurricane) it would take 7 days to reach St. Maarten.. we'll be there in 6.

Not saying it couldn't happen, or that we might not get some rainy days, but I think we'll be fine.

We are boarding the ship after you get off and doing this itinerary.

Check out cave-tubing.com (yes, you need the hyphen) for Belize

We're doing Victor Bodden tours in Roatan

Cozumel is so fun because there's so much to do. We like Paradise Beach or Mr. Sancho's but others like Chankanab National Park or Nachi Cocum (sp?)

Not sure about Costa Maya... I understand there are ruins there, but we're not planning anything there.

I hope the hurricane leaves you alone, but if not, I hope this helps you!

Have a GREAT time... we are so anxious for our cruise to happen in 8 DAYS!!!

I just went to weather.com and found this:

TROPICAL STORM IGOR

As of 5am EDT Thursday Tropical Storm Igor was centered about 70 miles south of the southern Cape Verde Islands. Igor is barely hanging on to tropical storm status with top winds only near 40 mph. It could weaken to a depression later today.

A tropical storm watch remains in effect for the southern Cape Verde Islands, including Maio, Sao Tiago, Fogo and Brava. The watch should be discontinued later today.

Igor is currently struggling due to strong easterly shearing winds and its interaction with another area of low pressure over the northern Cape Verde Islands. These inhibiting factors should keep Igor from strengthening much through Friday.

Atmospheric conditions should become more conducive for strengthening over the weekend. Igor is still forecast to become a hurricane late Saturday night or Sunday.

Once it moves west of the Cape Verde Islands tonight it should not be a threat to land into early next week.

You should be ok. You can also go to Carnival.com and they show if any itinerary changes are planned.

Have a ball!

Same here - I've been reading/researching/planning for months... I also prefer eastern to western and would be a bit disappointed to end up on the western itinerary again (although not so much I'd cancel!)

We might actually luck out and have absolutely fantastic weather (knock on wood). I live in Florida and am familiar with the weather around hurricanes - usually if a hurricane is 'near by' but not over you, the weather is just beautiful.. this is because most of the moisture and clouds are being sucked up by the hurricane... so I figure as long as there are hurricanes around but not in our way or over us, we should have some great sailing.

- Cozumel, Mexico

- Belize

- Isla Roatan

- Costa Maya, Mexico

My advice would be research these ports just in case. I got off the Dream on 9/4 and east turned to west and I had to book Carnival's very costly excursions.

I'm on the same sailing as you and have been watching the caribbean weather like a hawk. I think we'll be fine.

For one, most forecast models right now have the storm going to the north/northwest, whereas it would need to go directly west in order to hit the islands.

But assuming it does head straight for the islands, it's too far away to get there by the time we are there. Right now it's 2500 miles away from St. Martin. Moving at 15 mph (which is on the fast side for a hurricane) it would take 7 days to reach St. Maarten.. we'll be there in 6.

Not saying it couldn't happen, or that we might not get some rainy days, but I think we'll be fine.

While it would take 7 days for the storm to reach you, the storm winds and rain squalls would be there before the storm arrives. I, too, am leaving on the 11th and headed towards the Eastern Caribbean but not as far as St. Thomas. I have been doing the same (calculating) and hopefully we'll be fine as we only go as far as Grand Turk. Maybe we'll get lucky and this thing will blow up and dissapate into nothing....or take a more northerly turn and miss everything! :D

Best wishes to all itineraries and happy sails.

Might be Julia...if the weak low in the Southern Caribbean gets organized and takes a more north-westerly track. But hey...it's hurricane season and these pesky things have been known to pop up from time to time. It's the risk you run for any cruise you take. Just pay attention to the weather sites (and maybe the Weather Channel if you can suffer through their "the worst is going to happen so I'm standing out in it for you" hype) and your email and the Carnival website for any changes in itinerary.

Then go and have a good cruise regardless.:)

Here's hoping that Igor is a miss - but if you do end of with a Western itinerary, we've enjoyed Paradise Beach in Cozumel; cave tubing in Belize (we went with Major Tom, but there are several companies that all get good reviews); a Victor Bodden "Best of Roatan" tour in Roatan; and a Chacchoben ruins tour with David and Ivan (The Native Choice). I know I read on another thread that when the earlier cruise was rerouted, the person was able to e-mail Victor and get a tour booked in Roatan at the last minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived