Sunscreen Advice

mnsawyer

Trying to figure out what kind and type of sunscreen to take with us on our Glory cruise in April. We are from the northeast so we are Casper the Ghost white! Neither one of us will be tanning prior and are relatively fair skinned. I have to be very careful with my face in that I've had problems with "brown spots". I have a high sunscreen that I wear every day and will do so on the cruise. Also, I'm ordering one of those big hats that have a high spf and shield out rays. Yes, we will still sun but only in moderation!

Has anyone tried the spray sunscreen as opposed to lotion? There are some good ones out there but not sure if the spray is that good? To me, it would be so much better to use the spray but does it cover well, etc.?

My DH loves the water and have found a sunscreen for him that is waterproof and 45 spf. For me, I'd like something that has plenty of vitamin A, E and C since I think that keeps your skin looking less "leathery" - we all know the bad affects of the sun but on a cruise, we still enjoy getting tan. It's amazing how I used to "bake" and now I'm worried about getting too much!

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!

I would not try something new while in the Carribean. The sun is so strong there. My daughter ( a red head) is very fair and she tried something new for sensitive skin 45 SPF. It worked for her face but she got burned elsewhere. I'd stick with a good quality brand name 45 SPF.

My roommate is so white that is she has on khaki shorts, it is hard to tell where the shorts and and her legs start. She uses a brand called No-Ad with an SPF of 45. She has never looked leather like.

But, like like ocean travel said, if you have something you like already, I wouldn't change.

Pam

I recommend spf50 for you guys unless you want some sun. Then I recommend going to a tanning bed a couple of times. Other wise you will fry.

I live in Florida and the sun is really strong in April.

Holiday--4-11-05:eek:

There is a argument that anything above a SPF 30 is a waste and at one time the US was considering taking off the market anything above that. Keep in mind that the number is the amount of time you can stay in the sun without buring. For example, if you burn in 1 hours an SPF 30 will allow you to stay out 30 hours without burning. Most people make mistakes in applying the sunscreen. Firstly, it should be applied thirty minutes before you go outside. You should cover yourself well. A "shot" glass full is about right and reapply after sweating or swimming. Start with a 30 for a few days then work your way down to a 15. Ombrelle is a good brand especially for sensitive skin.

I am a red head with very fair skin. I use Banana Boat as well. When DH and I went on our first cruise last summer we used an SPF 50. We applied it often and very liberally and niether one of us got burned. Just remember to reapply several times a day if you are going to be out in the sun for long periods, if swimming or sweating as well. While the Banana Boat we used was waterproof/sweatproff it is still recommended that you reapply when you get out. I hope that helps.

Rebecca

There is a argument that anything above a SPF 30 is a waste

Anything over SPF 40 is basically a waste of money cause that’s about as protective as it gets.

from

http://www.gothbandphotos.com/prettygothic/sunscreens/

SPF numbers can go beyond 50 but in the US they stop at 30

from

http://www.shoppingbill.com/special_report_suncream.html

We have had great success with Banana Boat 30 spf. My kids never burn with this product but we do apply about 30 minutes before going out in the sun and reapply every 4 hours or so.

You could check out a consumer testing group such as Consumer Reports or something but I do highly recommend Banana Boat and Bull Frog.

Have a wonderful vacation!:cool:

Thanks so much everyone for your responses. I too, have often wondered about the above 30 SPF and if it actually is better. I've used banana boat and it's a brand you can get most anywhere. I'll check out the websites that you have posted too! I especially like the posting from the fair, red head that the spf 30 worked fine for their first cruise. We're not that fair but still pretty light. Thanks again!!

My youngest daughter has porceline skin and burns very easily. (She's not a baby, she was 16 at the time of the cruise) When we were on the cruise, despite dilligent application and re-application, of a #45 she got fried at the first port...which was Port Canaveral, Fl!! We hadn't even made it to the Bahamas and she was toast!

You have to be very careful if you are fair....reapply every 1/2 hour if you are totally exposed to the sun with no shade cover.

Also, I'd highly recommend a product that is good for people who snorkel or dive...called Sea Safe. You can get this sunscreen from http://www.lifestylesdirect.com. It is a sunblock that repels jelly fish and their larvae...it really works!!

Has anyone tried the spray sunscreen as opposed to lotion? There are some good ones out there but not sure if the spray is that good? To me, it would be so much better to use the spray but does it cover well, etc.?

My husband is very pale and used the Coppertone 30 SPF spray on his legs once at the beach. Well, he just sprayed it in bursts all over his legs without rubbing it in (it's the misty type spray that is invisible, looks sort of like pump hairspray). He ended up with white spots all over his legs (where the spray hit him) and red and burned everywhere else. I think if he had actually rubbed it in he would have been fine. He actually looked spotted!

My daughter is very fair too, but we used the NO-AD 45 SPF on her on our last cruise and she was fine. We made sure she wasn't in the sun too long and wore a t-shirt sometimes as well to protect her back, since she tends to burn there first.

Cellex-C! It's a bit pricey, but I use it on my face. I'm fair, blue-eyed...this is one of the few sunscreens that works for me. For a really brown, not orange, "fake" tan, Lierac is great. It's a bit too perfume-y for me, so I put it on an hour before my shower. The tan lasts a full week.

Check it out:

http://www.parrotwest.com

A woman that I work with just returned from a two week holiday in the Caribbean - she is pretty fair and she and her husband both used NoAd 45. She has used all kinds of high end brands in the past and liked this the best of all and came back not burned at all. I'm going to try the NoAd 45 for babies since there is zinc oxide in it which I think is really important to get a full spectrum of sunblock - both UVA and UVB. I've also found some clear zinc oxide that we can use for lips, ears, nose, etc. Found them at our local Rite Aid. I'll also take it slow and not be in the sun for hours! We're all so anxious to get out in the warm sun that it's easy to stay out too long the first day and then you are sorry!

Archived