Sunscreen Advice

mnsawyer

A very fair skinned, light blonde, blue eyed cruiser checking in here!

I have to hit the tanning bed AT LEAST two weeks prior to going to any beach, river, lake, cruising destination. If I don't, I am guaranteed to FRY the first fifteen minutes I am there. I don't use the tanning bed a lot, just a few weeks before I go to get some sort of melanin going. It helps tremendously.

I use Hawaiian Tropic waterproof SPF 45 and SPF 50. I still burn through that...but not as bad as I would with 30 or lower. Then I am just crispy! I am the lady at the beach with shorts, tank top, hat, umbrella, long sleeved shirt, etc. :)

DON'T FORGET YOUR PART IN YOUR HAIR! Just a suggestion from someone who learned at a very young and tender age!

Stef

Guest Time2gocruzn

DON'T FORGET YOUR PART IN YOUR HAIR! Just a suggestion from someone who learned at a very young and tender age!

Stef

OUCH. I remember VERY clearly what it is like to try and brush out my long tangeled wet hair with a BAD sunburn where my part is. NOT good. Even worse if it peels, lol.

AND READ THE LABEL! You WILL FRY if there is any MINERAL OIL in the product, no matter how high the SPF. Think egg in a frying pan, PERIOD.

Which is why I go back to the BULLFROG waterproof spray. NO OIL. It drys on contact. I will destroy your manicure, so bring lots of clear polish and use it. That's the only down side with all of the high SPFs, especially the waterproof ones.

But I am red/fair w/freckles. I tan eventually. But with this stuff, I NEVER burn.

IT ROCKS.

To everyone who recommended this Bullfrog stuff, it's sounding better and better. I've never seen it, can you get it anywhere?

Oh my gosh, the dreaded burned part in the hair!!! My poor daughter had that happen really bad once...when I thought pigtails would be so cute on her at the beach! I had even used sunscreen on it, but it still fried (and peeled, so yucky in hair!). Now we do the whole head of hair pulled back into one braid hair-do. Great reminder, Stef!

Zinc oxide is in most sunscreens for babies - according to my dermatologist, it's very important to screen out UVA rays and is great for sensitive skin - in addition, the green or pink stuff that you see people wearing on their nose, etc., is zinc oxide. This is totally clear which is great.

YES, i AM GOING TO PUT IN MY 2 CENTS WORTH. I AM A FAIR SKINNED RED HEAD WHO HAS BURNED THE MAJORITY OF MY 50 SOMETHING YEARS. BUT SO THAT I DO NOT RUIN MY CRUISE BY BURNING, I DO PRE-TAN!!!! ALONG WITH CONSTANT RE-APPLICATION OF SUN LOTION, I AM VERY CAREFUL ABOUT DIRECT SUN EXPOSURE. I LIMIT DIRECT EXPOSURE. ALSO, BE CAREFUL WITH WHAT TYPE OF EXCURSIONS YOU TAKE. DO SOME UP FRONT WORK. SOME EXCURSIONS HAVE YOU IN A BOAT WITH NO COVER. OFTEN IN REVIEWS YOU WILL READ MENTION OF THIS. I AM A BEACH LOVER AND I MUST BE SOMEWHERE WHERE THERE IS COVER. PALM TREES ETC. I HAVE TO SAY THAT IN THE LAST 8 YEARS I HAVE NOT BADLY BURNED. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT TRIUMPH FOR ME. I AM NOT SURE THAT ONE BRAND OF LOTION IS ANY BETTER THAN ANOTHER. I THINK OTHER POINTS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN PRODUCT CHOICE.

ANYWAY HAVE A GREAT SAFE AND SUNBURN FREE CRUISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOAN

SAIL ON.......................

Great comments. I would agree about the shade factor. I can't believe how often I have asked those question. We're doing a ship excursion to Goff's Caye and Belize and that was my first question...shade. Also, that's why we love Chanakaab Park in Cozumel is because we have great shade under the tiki huts. It's great and my husband loves it too!

But these are people who wear sunscreen, even over their tattoos

from

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/137334_traderjoes30.html

Please forgive me for getting way off topic, but I couldn't resist, since we're talking Trader Joe's here...Is it only a California thing, or are ALL of their shopping carts listing to the left?

(By any chance, do the Arizona carts list to the right?)

Just wondering.

You don't get a second chance with your skin--That's what the old time parasols were all about--keeping the skin nice smooth and pliable--not to turn into alligator skin by the time you're 50 (or 40). Not to mention your $ savings on dermatologists.

Archived