Costa Classica: Jewels of the Far East - heaps of questions both general and specific

patatie

Hi Mel

Had a look at Wild Wild Wet - it looks very similar to Adventure World here in Perth and the boys will be going there when they come back off the cruise - they go every Easter/April holiday with their parents so we will give that one a miss. They can spend the morning of the cruise in the hotel pool - not as exciting - but relaxing (for us oldies)

Then fish and chips at Hans at the harbour terminal for lunch. That's a three course meal and it was $7.50 each over twelve months ago - so it won't be much dearer now - and well worth it.

Songs of the sea (I keep calling it sounds of the sea) is on Sentosa - it is a holographic show on water and the first show is 7.30pm and the second is 8.30pm. We didn't do it before - but we saw a glimpse of it from the mono rail station - needless to say the guards moved us on - otherwise we would have had a free show. We tried to get in to see the show - but it had started and they wouldn't let us in. It was the last show and we were flying out the next morning - so we just put it on our to do list for the next time.

Liz

What time does the dinner buffet area close?

5. Is there a midnight buffet every night?

We were on the ill fated fated first cruise after the crash back in October but that is another long and sad story.

But in answer to your question the buffet closes most afternoons after lunch service about 3.30 ish. If you come back from a trip and want something to eat about 4.30 ish there is nothing not even free coffee until dinner which could be 8.45 if you are on second dinner.

I would say the buffet was only open for dinner 5 nights in 2 weeks. Also the buffet is always closed on Formal night so half the passengers are in T short and jeans at dinner on Formal nights as there is no other option.

We never had a midnight Buffet in 2 weeks but there is Pizza after 9 pm in one of the smoky bars.

There were a number of party nights and buffets planned on deck but none ever happened because of the terrible weather.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also hoping anyone might post when they get back... especially curious about where the ship is parking itself in Phuket and what transfer options you were able to find if it was outside the tourist area??? Dizzy1948, were you able to get tickets for Universal while you were there or did you need to buy them in advance. I had read they frequently sell out but on a previous visit to Singapore we had pre-purchased tickets to Jrong Bird Park and then it Poured rain, a deluge. You could hardly move... but at least in March we're not in the monsoon season. Hope you had a wonderful time and will post back. Did anyone use a transfer company in Bangkok and were they there as promised, I've written 3 for quotes- I do know imagelimo.com has an excellent reputation.... please share anything you thought would be helpful. I will do the same when I return. Thanks so much!

Hi T-2

I haven't been yet - don't go until 16th April. I bought the tickets for Universal studios on line. If you look at the posting" Costa Classica - back to answer your questions" there are some bits in there you could find useful - and ask on that thread about pre booking Universal Studios as mkhannah and tjand luke have both been. A quick read indicates to me that mkhannanh may have bought their tickets there. Drop your question in there - and also about transfer in Bangkok - patatie has just come back off the cruise and would be able to help. In that posting mkhannah answered questions for me about where the ship docks at Phuket etc.

Look forward to your review when you come back

Regards

I'm also hoping anyone might post when they get back... especially curious about where the ship is parking itself in Phuket and what transfer options you were able to find if it was outside the tourist area??? Dizzy1948, were you able to get tickets for Universal while you were there or did you need to buy them in advance. I had read they frequently sell out but on a previous visit to Singapore we had pre-purchased tickets to Jrong Bird Park and then it Poured rain, a deluge. You could hardly move... but at least in March we're not in the monsoon season. Hope you had a wonderful time and will post back. Did anyone use a transfer company in Bangkok and were they there as promised, I've written 3 for quotes- I do know imagelimo.com has an excellent reputation.... please share anything you thought would be helpful. I will do the same when I return. Thanks so much!

Hi T-2

We recently returned from 7 days on Costa Classica cruise. In Phuket we docked at the "old" Phuket Port area on the first day, and we were advised that you could return to the ship at this Port by 4pm (which gave you about 3hrs) or find your own way to the main beach area where you could return by tender boat from 6pm onwards. We caught a taxi from the port to Patong beach for about $10AUD and then when we were ready to return to the ship, we got a tender.

The ship was anchored off Patong Beach for the remainder of our stay in Phuket. They announced that the tenders would run continuously until midnight and from midnight to 6am there was one tender an hour. They were very frequent, I even knew of people who caught a tender back to the ship to freshen up before getting another tender back to Patong Beach for the evening.

Univeral Studios - we visited the tourist centre and booked our tickets. We did not have to specify a day - we paid for a "weekday ticket" and used it on a Tuesday. We were fortunate to have good weather that day, and just as we were leaving Universal at about 6pm, the rain came.

Regards

Mel

What time does the dinner buffet area close?

5. Is there a midnight buffet every night?

We were on the ill fated fated first cruise after the crash back in October but that is another long and sad story.

But in answer to your question the buffet closes most afternoons after lunch service about 3.30 ish. If you come back from a trip and want something to eat about 4.30 ish there is nothing not even free coffee until dinner which could be 8.45 if you are on second dinner.

I would say the buffet was only open for dinner 5 nights in 2 weeks. Also the buffet is always closed on Formal night so half the passengers are in T short and jeans at dinner on Formal nights as there is no other option.

We never had a midnight Buffet in 2 weeks but there is Pizza after 9 pm in one of the smoky bars.

There were a number of party nights and buffets planned on deck but none ever happened because of the terrible weather.

Hi all,

I was on the Classica from the 2 - 16 January, after lunch there were snacks served from 4- 5 pm everyday in the buffet restaurant, and as snacks go they were quite nice.

There is a bar-b-que at the Alfresco Cafe on deck next to the buffet most days at lunch time.

Also the buffet restaurant was open every Gala Night for dinner as an alternative if you did not what to dress up, and the food was almost the same as the MDR.

You can also have breakfast and lunch in the MDR if you do not want to go to the buffet.

Thanks everyone for sharing- any chance your sailings also stopped in Ko Samui or or Kuantan? I've found the least info about those 2 stops and am curious what it was like. Anything you might remember?

(Dizzy1948- I will definitely also post when we return, this will be our 2nd Costa cruise but info on some of these stops has been hard to find, we will go ahead and get our Universal Studio tickets ahead of time, we only live a couple hours from the Hollywood one but this looks very, very different so it'll be fun to see)

Gordmar- are you still out there, I have transfer quotes into Bangkok on Tues Mar. 15 and didn't know if you might be interested in splitting the ride cost. We're just ordinary size people, I know inches and pounds don't make sense to the rest of the world who use meters and kilo's- but we're not hefties, they said 4 could share a sedan. Anyone else on the Mar 12 Classica sailing, we don't have a roll call.

Hi Spaceman777

I am having a guess here -it has been mentioned that the buffet is not open every night - would that be when the ship is staying overnight in places?

The buffet restaurant (La Trattoria) was not open every night, only on Gala Nights, I don't remember what time it closed. Sometimes there were special events at midnight when they had different snacks etc, and of course you could have a Pizza in the in the Pizzeria in the late afternoon, (pizza slices) on in the evening (whole pizza's) from 9pm -1am.

I hope this helps.

And by the way, it was a great cruise and we had a wonderful time !!!

Thanks everyone for sharing- any chance your sailings also stopped in Ko Samui or or Kuantan? I've found the least info about those 2 stops and am curious what it was like. Anything you might remember?

(Dizzy1948- I will definitely also post when we return, this will be our 2nd Costa cruise but info on some of these stops has been hard to find, we will go ahead and get our Universal Studio tickets ahead of time, we only live a couple hours from the Hollywood one but this looks very, very different so it'll be fun to see)

Gordmar- are you still out there, I have transfer quotes into Bangkok on Tues Mar. 15 and didn't know if you might be interested in splitting the ride cost. We're just ordinary size people, I know inches and pounds don't make sense to the rest of the world who use meters and kilo's- but we're not hefties, they said 4 could share a sedan. Anyone else on the Mar 12 Classica sailing, we don't have a roll call.

Hi T-2,

I can only help you a little with Ko Samui or or Kuantan, we did not do any excursions except the one to KL. In Kuantan we decided as we didn't have a lot of time, (the ship arrives at noon, and leaves at 6pm, but realistically by the time the ship docks and you can get off it is about 12:45pm and you have to be back on the ship by say 5:15pm), so we decided we would just walk around, we left the ship and walked out of the port there was not a lot to see, we turned left and found a little bar on the right had corner, nothing much there so we then walked 10 yards to a T Junction and turned right and walked for about 2 minutes where we saw a couple of motorbikes parked up on the left hand side, walked across the road, looked through the bushes, and low and behold the sea and a wonderful beach, completely empty except for 2 guys and a crew member taking photos, no one on the ship told us about this, maybe they wanted us to go on their excursions? We stayed there for a couple of hours just walking and taking pictures and then went back to the ship.

As for Ko Samui, we took the tenders from the ship and walked around all day, it was really nice, we had some great food and beer in a nice bar overlooking the sea.

I must say one thing, it was really hot for the whole cruise, not a problem, but makes walking for a long time just that bit harder :D

Spaceman777 thank you so much, I had absolutely no visual image of what to expect in those 2 ports so your insights are a Huge Help. Kuantan is our first stop in Malaysia so I was hoping there might be an ATM about so we can take out some local currency as there are several ports of call into Malaysia. I really appreciate your taking the time to help... it will be even warmer when we go in March... can you imagine hotter... again, thanks so much, if you happen to think of anything else you wish you'd known about any of the ports before you stepped off the ship, please think of us who will be enjoying the swelter behind you :D, we leave in about 5 weeks, I'll keep checking back. Ihave booked the ships transfer to 'Kuala Lumpur on your own'. Did you happen to use a transfer service for Bangkok?

Spaceman777 thank you so much, I had absolutely no visual image of what to expect in those 2 ports so your insights are a Huge Help. Kuantan is our first stop in Malaysia so I was hoping there might be an ATM about so we can take out some local currency as there are several ports of call into Malaysia. I really appreciate your taking the time to help... it will be even warmer when we go in March... can you imagine hotter... again, thanks so much, if you happen to think of anything else you wish you'd known about any of the ports before you stepped off the ship, please think of us who will be enjoying the swelter behind you :D, we leave in about 5 weeks, I'll keep checking back. Ihave booked the ships transfer to 'Kuala Lumpur on your own'. Did you happen to use a transfer service for Bangkok?

Hi T-2,

We used the 'Bangkok on your own' with Costa, it took about 2 hours and we went on the river boat, it is great and costs 160 Baht, so cheap and worth every penny, you can hop on, hop off, and it goes to all the famous sites. We had been to Bangkok before and wanted to see more from the river, you can get there very easily on the SkyTrain from the drop of point.

The buffet restaurant (La Trattoria) was not open every night, only on Gala Nights, I don't remember what time it closed. Sometimes there were special events at midnight when they had different snacks etc, and of course you could have a Pizza in the in the Pizzeria in the late afternoon, (pizza slices) on in the evening (whole pizza's) from 9pm -1am.

I hope this helps.

And by the way, it was a great cruise and we had a wonderful time

Hi Spaceman 777

PLEASE submit a review! My review ("Costa Classica - Absolutely Brilliant") is well and truely out numbered by reviews from those who did not enjoy Classica. I would appreciate some support ;)!

Funny isn't it - same cruise such different experiences :confused:!

Cheers

Mel

I have ridden on the Chao River, amazing and an easy way to get around. But I did just recheck the Costa website regarding excursions as previous guests who'd sailed on this trip had mentioned that there wasn't any "transfer" into Bangkok to then explore 'on your own'. (Which they do have for Kuala Lumpur and we've already registered for). So it's either the taxi's and trying to negotiate the fare into Bangkok, or using a transfer service. We have the price from a couple companies for the transfer to the Taksin Skytrain station, probably where you caught the boat. But from everything I've read about this cruise- the only way into Bangkok is to either take a ships tour OR arrange it on your own... were you on a ships tour right from the beginning? The least expensive one offered is 44E and it doesn't go into Bangkok ( just nearby Pattaya), the prices go up from there, but nothing that was just a ride into the city. I haven't found anyone yet looking to share a transfer... so if you remember how it worked on your sailing- that would be a great help. Did you try to get there on your own or had you gone into Bangkok with a ships tour, anything you can share is truly appreciated. We know Bangkok pretty well, but we've never arrived by ship before. We never tire of Bangkok- wonderful and amazing city!

Hi all,

I have put a review up (sorry I don't know the link)...I've since posted in another Costa thread ... but have a look anyway if you haven't.

Ummm...can't really comment on the port in Kuantan (we also felt almost too rushed to get off the ship...)...it was (from memory - please correct me if I'm wrong) docked in an industrial port and it didn't seem worth the effort to get off and figure out what to do.

In Ko Samui there was a tender ship and several taxi drivers/tour operators waiting around to take you anywhere you wanted to go - we took one to a beach, went shopping, had a massage...don't think you really need to "plan" too much ahead for this port.

For Bangkok, it seemed that those on board who had not booked excursions with the cruise ship mainly decided to take a taxi to Pattaya. We had booked with a company called Tour with Tong, which had rave reviews on the Trip Advisor website. This was one of the best days for us - they offered us a return trip to Bangkok plus a guided tour (which we tailored to our own needs) for a better price than the tours offered by Costa. That being said, I think you need to weigh up your own needs when deciding who to go with eg for us, we were a group of 5, so a private tour worked out well as we only paid one fee for the trip to/from Bangkok (as opposed to 5 x single fares)...hope that makes sense. My advice would be to go on the net and do a search and get quotes from as many companies as possible - explain the situation via email, and maybe you'll get a company willing to do the ride. I know that probably isn't very helpful, but that's the way we organised our tours (Bangkok and Phuket). It meant that the tours differed to what was offered on the internet, but you'll probably find companies willing to do this for you if you ask!

Oh and RE the buffet dinners, I think it was also open on informal nights if the ship was docked late in port eg if the ship only left port at 6pm or so. I guess this was to cater for those who missed their dinner seating...though I really wouldn't recommend going to the buffet for dinner unless you're desperate.

MY EXPERIENCE: I was late coming back onboard at Phuket and only finished getting ready for dinner at 7.30pm. The rest of my family went to formal dinner, while I went to the buffet. When they got back they told me they had asked the Maitre D who said it was ok if I went to the MDR (even 1.5hrs late) as they expected people to be that late and people generally turned up late on port days anyway, and they'd still be happy to serve me.

Hope this is of some help to you (sorry if its too long!!!)

Patatie, your messages are never too long. You always give a ton of helpful information and are right on point. I have contacted 5 companies who have been mentioned for transfers into Bangkok, 3 didn't even bother to write back which makes one nervous if they would be there. Only imagelimo is responisve and helpful. They also have the highest feedback on Cruisecritic. As well as tripadvisor. Unfortunately, for all the other companies mentioned, not one person had written afterwards to say if they showed up as promised. I'm guessing because it was only a transfer and not a tour. So you've been great to come back and help out and I always do the same, everyone on C,C. is so helpful, its only fair that I give back too.

And thank you for the insights on Kuantan and Ko Samui. I will explore both as well and write when I return as I know Dizzy is going in April (although I think hers is just a week). If anyone else has any memories to share of Kuantan??? And Thank You!!

Patatie, your messages are never too long. You always give a ton of helpful information and are right on point. I have contacted 5 companies who have been mentioned for transfers into Bangkok, 3 didn't even bother to write back which makes one nervous if they would be there. Only imagelimo is responisve and helpful. They also have the highest feedback on Cruisecritic. As well as tripadvisor. Unfortunately, for all the other companies mentioned, not one person had written afterwards to say if they showed up as promised. I'm guessing because it was only a transfer and not a tour. So you've been great to come back and help out and I always do the same, everyone on C,C. is so helpful, its only fair that I give back too.

And thank you for the insights on Kuantan and Ko Samui. I will explore both as well and write when I return as I know Dizzy is going in April (although I think hers is just a week). If anyone else has any memories to share of Kuantan??? And Thank You!!

Awww thanks T-2, best of luck with booking your transfers!

(

Hi,

Would be very interested in sharing, have you quotes for transfer to Bangkok, and transfer back to port ? if so approximate cost.

Also, we were toying with the idea of staying overnight in Bangkok, and returning to ship for around noon on 16th, as we quite fancy a night in Bangkok.

Are you planning to stay overnight in Bangkok or just returning to ship later on the 15th.?

We have not yet decided on this though, just a thought.

Cheers,

Gordon.

P.S. Neither my wife nor I are hefties either.

I'm so glad you revisited the board, I do have a quote and also some info on where we are going to stay in Bangkok that night as we want to overnight and be able to go see the Siam Niramit show, this is our 4th trip to Bangkok and we love the city. I know you are new to cruise critic but the host would prefer we keep our 'sharing of tours/transfers' to the roll call pages. Our cruise didn't have a roll call but I did open one up a couple days ago. I can share details there. Can you find the category 'roll calls', and click on it, you can then get to where you select 'Costa', our roll call should still be near the top of the page- 'Mar 12th sailing for Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia' is what I think I titled it. If you can't find it just come back here - I'll check back.

I did get a quote from the most recognized reliable service for 2900 baht, we can either share a taxi back if you decide to stay overnight or you can apparently get one for about 1600 baht coming back. Leaving from the port the taxi's are quite a walk away and extremely expensive We found a great deal on a hotel near the Taksin skytrain stop and that's near the Chao River for water taxi's as well. I don't know the price in your home currency, it's 1350 baht, love the location. Reviews were fine, it's just a place to sleep and if you decide to stay elsewhere, we could always just have them drop us at the Taksin station. Driving within Bangkok is a slow and tedious process. I hate to spend our time in the city crawling through traffic. I'll check again, talk it over with your wife, let me know if you have any other questions. We're frequent travelers and on time, considerate and love Bangkok.

I know you are new to cruise critic but the host would prefer we keep our 'sharing of tours/transfers' to the roll call pages. Our cruise didn't have a roll call but I did open one up a couple days ago. I can share details there. Can you find the category 'roll calls', and click on it, you can then get to where you select 'Costa', our roll call should still be near the top of the page- 'Mar 12th sailing for Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia' is what I think I titled it. If you can't find it just come back here - I'll check back.

Thanks for that, I will correspond with you on the Costa roll call site.

regards,

Gordon

• 2 months later...

We just came back 2 weeks ago from the Costa Classica. They have a power board (4) supplied. We are aussies.. The ship is only a 3 star so dont expect shampoos etc. For the money it was good value. The staff are great we only had 1 rude person she worked in reception. The entertainment was very good. We were told that you could ask to have tipping removed. Australians already pay it with your tickets. We used to take cans of drinks on board every day and they never questioned it. Enjoy yourself.

We just came back 2 weeks ago from the Costa Classica. They have a power board (4) supplied. We are aussies.. The ship is only a 3 star so dont expect shampoos etc. For the money it was good value. The staff are great we only had 1 rude person she worked in reception. The entertainment was very good. We were told that you could ask to have tipping removed. Australians already pay it with your tickets. We used to take cans of drinks on board every day and they never questioned it. Enjoy yourself.

Hi Patricia,

I don't know who told you that you can have the 'tipping' removed but I have read on this forum that a person refused to pay, the police were called and he was arrested and taken to a police station with his family, he paid in the end, but it cost them a lot more as they missed their flight home and had to buy new tickets :rolleyes:

Hi Patricia,

I don't know who told you that you can have the 'tipping' removed but I have read on this forum that a person refused to pay, the police were called and he was arrested and taken to a police station with his family, he paid in the end, but it cost them a lot more as they missed their flight home and had to buy new tickets :rolleyes:

I remember reading that. Sounded then like a good STORY and still sounds like it.

• 9 months later...

Hi there

I've just returned from a Costa Cruise (Jan 2012).

I would highly recommend the Bangkok transfer/tours thru

Miss Petrada (Tour guide Ms Katy)

Customer Service Department

Chang Thai Travel

www.changthaitravel.com

www.bangkok-transfer-tour.com

Tel: +66 (0)2 5973537, Hot Line: +66 (0)81 7015145 / +66 (0)86 5005279

Fax: +66 2 5973547

Email: info@changthaitravel.com and info@bangkok-transfer-tour.com

They were brilliant! (Floating markets, elephant ride, canals tour, Grand palace)

Have all the other questions been answered?

Happy to help out where I can.

I thought the cruise was fantastic!

J:)

Patricia - did we meet you onboard?

Archived