Help my crazy compulsive cruise planning

Walt fan

Yes, I have an addiction, it's called compulsive vacation planning, and the past few years, the compulsion has surrounded our cruise vacations. We (family and friends = 5 to 6 people) are not going on our annual cruise until June 2011, but I have to get my thoughts in order so that I will sleep at night. I thought I had saved information about San Juan in my compulsive Word document, which has all my notes for Samana and Labadee, but lo and behold I did not do a "save" when I added San Juan. Since then, my DH has nixed the Segway tour, so I was leaning towards a private tour. And I kept thinking I had read about a Robert doing private tours. After many, many, many searches later I realized it was not Robert, it was Raul. I remembered all the negative issues with an Albert. So, since my compulsive searching I am even more confused. Raul is not a licensed tour operator, so I am leery. People have mentioned Edwin Santos and also a Victor, both of whom are licensed. I am trying to fit in a rainforest tour and OSJ tour somehow with our weird port time of 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. So, I am thinking if we did a private tour we could eat somewhere afterwards in OSJ. Well, fellow CC members, do you think it is important for a tour operator to be licensed? Please add your thoughts on San Juan tours, tour operators, etc and any information you can add to my compulsive planning. I will carry on. And thank you, thank you, thank you, as my prior cruise excursions could not have been so wonderful without all your suggestions.

I'm doing compulsive researching too. :) obsessive too.

If your ship docks at 3pm and by the time you guys get off even if you get off in the first group of people, it is still 1 hr to the rainforest. Say you get there about 4:30ish then you will probably have an hour or so to walk around. I think it closes at 6pm or might be different in June and there is more light in June so you're lucky. We go in December and it will probably get dark by 5ish. I'm torn between private guide and renting a car. Good luck.

I'm doing compulsive researching too. :) obsessive too.

If your ship docks at 3pm and by the time you guys get off even if you get off in the first group of people, it is still 1 hr to the rainforest. Say you get there about 4:30ish then you will probably have an hour or so to walk around. I think it closes at 6pm or might be different in June and there is more light in June so you're lucky. We go in December and it will probably get dark by 5ish. I'm torn between private guide and renting a car. Good luck.

The sunsets at about 6pm in December, so it is still light until about 6:20p.

The sunsets at about 7pm in June, so it will be light until about 7:20p.

What are your plans after the forest? You can go to the Kiosks in Luquillo for dinner or back into OSJ.

Have you figured out the return of the vehicle at 10:30p? That may require taking a cab from the airport office. Check into that (it could be time consuming and a bit difficult).

I am wishywashy about the licensing issue of tour operators in PR. The tourism people keep offering the required classes for people to become operators, but then they don't offer the test needed to become licensed tour guides.

Being licensed with the Tourism company requires the operator to have insurance and the your can complain to the PR Tourism company if there is a problem with the tour.

I know there are some operators that may not be licensed but do have the needed insurance, and are just waiting for the test to be given.

I would like for the tour guide to at least have insurance; I didn't even think of that, thank you for the tip; if I decide on someone not certified I will ask; I would like to at least go to the Rainforest since we will be pressed for daylight; and then go eat in OSJ and walk around; the port time really limits you in my perspective

Okay everyone, so now I have a few more questions; something a poster said made me think; I really don't want a tour stuffed into a van with a bunch of other tourists; DH hates, hates, hates this type of situation and I have to keep that in mind; someone mentioned Sunset Tours but then on their web site nothing mentioned it would be a private tour; with 5-6 of us going it could not be a taxi type of tour; that is why I was wanting a private tour, in a van, like a few had mentioned; but I really concerned about what some posters were saying about "Alfred" and were concerned about some guides not being licensed; and I have to consider our late port stop, 3pm - 11pm; I have thought this through and am thinking of a Rainforest tour first and then OSJ, even at night I have heard it can be a good tour; please chime in and let me know your thoughts!

I have never been an organized tour person and have never had a problem in Puerto Rico renting a car and doing my own thing, to include Luquillo Beach and the kiosks, rainforest, Pinones, Old San Juan, and the bio bay tour out of Vieques. Why pay for a tour when you can do it yourself?

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are in the same boat, in that we want an organized tour but not one offered by our cruise line (HAL). We will be docked from noon until 8:00 PM so I'm not concerned about daylight.... more about HEAT, in the rainforest especially. ;) But we would really like a tour that combines the rainforest and the city as well.

One thing I find interesting is that in describing the Puerto Rico shore excursions, HAL mentions traffic concerns and long wait times on almost every option! I have not noticed this "disclaimer" for any other port we have been to.

Is San Juan very difficult to get around in? :confused:

My husband and I are in the same boat, in that we want an organized tour but not one offered by our cruise line (HAL). We will be docked from noon until 8:00 PM so I'm not concerned about daylight.... more about HEAT, in the rainforest especially. ;) But we would really like a tour that combines the rainforest and the city as well.

One thing I find interesting is that in describing the Puerto Rico shore excursions, HAL mentions traffic concerns and long wait times on almost every option! I have not noticed this "disclaimer" for any other port we have been to.

Is San Juan very difficult to get around in? :confused:

the rainforest is not located in San Juan, it is an hour from San Juan. Traffic can be tough, Puerto Rico belongs to the greater antilles (along with Cuba, Jamaica and the Hispaniola island ( Haiti and Dominican Rep.) and the population density per square mile is one of the highest in the world...it is a big island with a lot of traffic problems.

In response to the responses I have received from my inquiries, can anyone chime in on if a tour to the rainforest is even possible? Even by private tour? With our port time of 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm what would one suggest? My main goals in San Juan were to see the rainforest and OSJ, I have decided I definitely do not want to do any of this on our own; too many issues involved. But now I think that with the timeframe the rainforest isn't an option:( There are five in our party, no shopping allowed with four males out of the five!!!!! What would one suggest for one teenager, two twenty year olds and one DH who HATES shopping. I would appreciate all your ideas, chime in!!

In response to the responses I have received from my inquiries, can anyone chime in on if a tour to the rainforest is even possible? Even by private tour? With our port time of 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm what would one suggest? My main goals in San Juan were to see the rainforest and OSJ, I have decided I definitely do not want to do any of this on our own; too many issues involved. But now I think that with the timeframe the rainforest isn't an option:( There are five in our party, no shopping allowed with four males out of the five!!!!! What would one suggest for one teenager, two twenty year olds and one DH who HATES shopping. I would appreciate all your ideas, chime in!!

It is possible to do one or the other.

But with your time frame, I would just stay in OSJ and tour the forts and the museums and sites/bars/restaurants.

There is always next time to see the rain forest (and you will probably be able to see rainforests in your other ports of call.

OR... do the BioBay tour. As long as the moon is right, it is really neat and not something you can see in many places in the world.

Archived