Back from the Spirit - any questions?

mared1

ranchovista...just returned from the Spirit sailing 2-13-05...first time cruising with Carnival...was a little apprehensive being all that I had heard of Carnival..but was pleasantly surprised...terrific cruise...very clean ship..great service...wasn't crazy about the ports... Zihuatanejo was the best...had to take tender, but loved the quaint village shops. Didn't get off ship in Manzillo...due to fact that you have to take bus/taxi to town...so had quiet day on the ship. Any questions you may have feel free to contact me...(EAgle Point...I'm in Medford....)

Stage was also closed on our 2-13-05 sailing...said it was due to some minor damage...personally I felt it was due to the fact that they had a very poor selection of entertainment that could not have possibly filled a lounge that size!

MauiBabe..Small world isn't it? We moved from Medford to Eagle Point 4 years ago. We're out across from the golf course, have about 3 acres, love the country life. We're both retired from education in Medford. Maxine taught at Hoover Elem. and I was at LonePine (special ed. asst.). We cruise about twice a year, this will be our first with Carnival. We've done Royal Crib. in the past and like that cruise line alot. Going to Alaska June 12th with Royal Crib. Thanks for all your input re: Spirit, take care, and enjoy your cruising experiences.

Stage was also closed on our 2-13-05 sailing...said it was due to some minor damage...personally I felt it was due to the fact that they had a very poor selection of entertainment that could not have possibly filled a lounge that size!

I would disagree. I believe the entertainment on your sailing was lacking due to the closed stage. I was on Spirit in Nov. and the entertainment was excellent. The Vegas style shows used alot of lights, lasers, set changes and suspension cables for the actors as well as the stage itself has many tricks. An area that spins, raises and lowers, other areas that raise/lower individually. The band area lowers and disappears at times, and at others it raises for effect. It was the best entertainment I have seen at sea. The stage is probably problematic because it is so full of features.

There is no possible way they could have performed those acts on the smaller stage.

It's too bad you missed out.

p.s. Pharoas Palace was packed for every show except the "R" rated comedy each night. The comedian was just ok, but not horrible as I have experienced once before.

You can go to Ixtapa Island on your own. There are taxis when you get off the Carnival tender that will take you to the water taxi's in Ixtapa. We didn't go there but many people on our cruise did and most went on their own. I think the water taxi is $3. If you check this board there were several posts back in Jan/Feb with details.

• 2 weeks later...

How was your cruise? I am the one with 3 boys ages 11,17 and 20! What do you recommend for the older boys? Will our 20 year old have enough to do on the ship? Our middle just had his appendix out this past Monday so he will have to take it easy on the cruise, no boogie boarding, ATV's and maybe swimming! Would love to hear what you thought and recommend! We have 2 weeks and one day to go and are so looking forward to it!

Julie (daveandjules)

Hi all, I was on the 02-21-05 Spirit sailing with my 3 kids, girl (7) and boys (12 & 22) and we had a blast. My oldest was never bored, he played shuffleboard, pingpong, swam, hot tubbed, went to all of the shows, laid in the sun, went to some of the trivia activities, did homework, ate tons of food, gambled, went to the clubs...he also hung out with his little brother which was awesome. He met lots of people his own age from hanging at the clubs when the rest of us were sleeping. Our favourite port was Ixtapa and I would recommend taking a taxi to Ixtapa and going to Carlos & Charlie's for food and then hang out at that beach. Absolutely beautiful and the boys rented boogie boards and had a blast, except for my 12 year-olds face plant. We also went to a cool little market in Ixtapa that was cheap with a great variety of items. It cost us $15 one way and $4 to get back...go figure? I would go back to this port and stay for a week! Manzanillo we took a taxi to a beach (La Boqueta?) near elephant rock and the boys snorkelled and we played in the sand & swam. A few markets there too. In Acapulco we took a taxi to Caleta Bay and then a glass bottom boat to Roqueta Island and we snorkelled and swam. Crystal clear water and very warm. Lots of Mexicans. My daughter had her hair braided for $12...lasted the whole trip...best money I ever spent! In the evening we booked the cliff divers trip through Carnival...what a ripoff! I would recommend doing this on your own too.

All in all the trip was great, food was yummy and we all found lots to keep us busy. We even did okay sharing one room with no window. I would get rid of the TV though, it was annoying. I got our room dude to empty the fridge & we used it for water bottles & leftovers. Oh yah, the gym is great and was busy each time I went.

Bon Voyage, Cari

How was your cruise? I am the one with 3 boys ages 11,17 and 20! What do you recommend for the older boys? Will our 20 year old have enough to do on the ship? Our middle just had his appendix out this past Monday so he will have to take it easy on the cruise, no boogie boarding, ATV's and maybe swimming! Would love to hear what you thought and recommend! We have 2 weeks and one day to go and are so looking forward to it!

Julie (daveandjules)

Hi all, I was on the 02-21-05 Spirit sailing with my 3 kids, girl (7) and boys (12 & 22) and we had a blast. My oldest was never bored, he played shuffleboard, pingpong, swam, hot tubbed, went to all of the shows, laid in the sun, went to some of the trivia activities, did homework, ate tons of food, gambled, went to the clubs...he also hung out with his little brother which was awesome. He met lots of people his own age from hanging at the clubs when the rest of us were sleeping.

How funny... I think I was one of those people "his own age" or at least close (18) that he hung out with. Your son is Dylan (forgive me if you spell it differently) right?

Julie (daveandjules)

My cruise was fabulous thank you... Still working on getting a review done (me, procrastinate, never:rolleyes: ) I had a lot of people around my age (a few years above or below) butI also sailed over presidents week, when there are generally more children/younger people. Your son should find a lot of people his age though, because I'm sure you'll catch some of the spring break crowd. I'd recommend going to the nightclub either the first of second night for the oldest. I met a lot of people that way. As for the ports, my family prefers doing the shopping thing, so I don't have very good insight for what boys may like... However, if the oldest wants to romance a girl he may meet on the cruise (this happens a lot) there are a ton of great restaurants right on the beach in acapulco, very romantic. Also, he might like the club there, I think its paradise. As far as daytime goes on the ship, I found that sometimes I had to make my own fun... ie find friends to hang out with, because activities didnt seem super-plentiful for people my age. Also, if your youngest is feeling up to it, I'd really recommend that he go to the teen mixer thing the first night. Thatsthe easiest/best time to meet people to hang out with on the cruise.

Lots of New post on the Spirit posted today and yesterday, I came off of it on 01 march and someone just wrote a cool post about it that went on 01 - 09, both weeks turned out to be awesome, my post is floating around here somewhere, do a search on Spirit and you will see them. by the way Micheal Mullane is the Cruise Director, I had him 3 times so far, tell him the guy from San Diego said Titilation, he knows what I mean and he will get a laugh, he is great and you will have a great time, that Spirit Crew has been getting GREAT Reviews by alot of us on here, from the ship being spotless etc, Cruise Director Mullane has been on that ship since last March with his wife Jennie, and its the same Captain, one cool safe guy. Nothing to worry about youre in good hands there.

We had Michael Mullane and Jeni on the Sensation in October, I agree... they are great. She was a ton of fun... they are a great couple!!!!

I heard from a crew member that they're not really married, but it would sound badly to say that [if she was just a live in girlfriend]. I still dont know which is true or not, but it had me wondering, and analyzing them the whole cruise. Either way they were both great, and very capable. I'm sure you'll have a great time sailing with them :D

Yes my oldest son is Dylan and you did spell it right, he is not hard to miss being 6'4" with curly hair and a "lets have fun" attitude. He is back at college working hard and hopefully will grad someday!

Cari

How funny... I think I was one of those people "his own age" or at least close (18) that he hung out with. Your son is Dylan (forgive me if you spell it differently) right?

My cruise was fabulous thank you... Still working on getting a review done (me, procrastinate, never:rolleyes: ) I had a lot of people around my age (a few years above or below) butI also sailed over presidents week, when there are generally more children/younger people. Your son should find a lot of people his age though, because I'm sure you'll catch some of the spring break crowd. I'd recommend going to the nightclub either the first of second night for the oldest. I met a lot of people that way. As for the ports, my family prefers doing the shopping thing, so I don't have very good insight for what boys may like... However, if the oldest wants to romance a girl he may meet on the cruise (this happens a lot) there are a ton of great restaurants right on the beach in acapulco, very romantic. Also, he might like the club there, I think its paradise. As far as daytime goes on the ship, I found that sometimes I had to make my own fun... ie find friends to hang out with, because activities didnt seem super-plentiful for people my age. Also, if your youngest is feeling up to it, I'd really recommend that he go to the teen mixer thing the first night. Thatsthe easiest/best time to meet people to hang out with on the cruise.

Yes my oldest son is Dylan and you did spell it right, he is not hard to miss being 6'4" with curly hair and a "lets have fun" attitude. He is back at college working hard and hopefully will grad someday!

Cari

Your son is a very nice guy and you should be proud :D Tell him the "Barbie Game Girl" says hello (he should know what that means) ;) and should he want to say hi back, my email is piaqua@twcny.rr.com We never got around to exchanging info or anything.

Bethwte,

Hey, hows it going.....met you on the cruise.

You recognized us from our picture here on Cruise Critic.

Glad you had a great time....

I've been meaning to post a mini-review myself..........but have just been soooo busy...:)

Bethwte,

Hey, hows it going.....met you on the cruise.

You recognized us from our picture here on Cruise Critic.

Glad you had a great time....

I've been meaning to post a mini-review myself..........but have just been soooo busy...:)

Actually, I didn't meet anyone from cruise critic (exept her son if that counts), I think you've confused me with someone else. I suppose if you really thought you met me you can email me and I'll show you some pictures of me (I don't want to post too many of them here), but either way, thank you for the kind words about the cruise, and I hope you had a wonderful time as well! :D

[quote name='Bethwte']Actually, I didn't meet anyone from cruise critic (exept her son if that counts), I think you've confused me with someone else. I suppose if you really thought you met me you can email me and I'll show you some pictures of me (I don't want to post too many of them here), but either way, thank you for the kind words about the cruise, and I hope you had a wonderful time as well! :D[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm, I just remember very quickly a fairly young girl.....stoped us for a moment in the crowd and said she recognized me from the picture on the board........I just thought it might be you from your postings.....

I did meet a couple other CCer's........but I over slept and missed the get together in the Atrium.........

Ranchovista...been out of town, just now getting back to Cruise Critic reading. Good to hear from you. When did you teach at Lone Pine..my daughter went to school there and we still live nearby. Anyway, sounds like you're getting ready to take off again. We to have sailed with RCC and loved it, but have never been to Alaska..keep in touch and let me know how it was...take care....

Archived