Cruised on Coral Princess Sep 4-11th - questions anyone?

Fat Bottom Gurl

Apparantly, the cruise week of Sep 4 to 11th was the best of the season. Sunshine and calm seas the entire week and we were fortunate to see all the glaciers in College Fjord at the same time (a first in 4 years). This was the first cruise for both me and my sister.

We had great shore excursions:

In Ketchikan we did the kayaking around Tatoosh Islands.

In Juneau - I went whale watcihng wtih Harve and Marve (Captain Shawn) and saw at least 8 whales and 100s of sealions. My sister did the rainforest zipline and glacier. I also stopped at the Mendenhal glacier and walked to the waterfall and back. Later I took the Sky Tram.

In Skagway, we took the Chilkat Eagle Preserve River Rafting Float. That was a remarkable trip. Saw many eagles and a brown bear with her two cubs. The lunch they provided afterwards was topnotch - the best of all the tours (featured homemade gourmet sandwiches).

The glaciers were breathtaking and I saw the John Hopkins glacier (in Glacier Bay) calve at least 6 times. It was amazing how the ship would silently float towards the glacier - it was difficult to judge the size (they are massive), it seemed like we could just reach out and touch them, when in fact they were still a couple of miles away.

The seas were never rough and often times were smooth as glass.

The ship - The Coral Princess - was absolutely spotless. We could not get over how clean she was. The crew was constantly painting or polishing something. Their uniforms always starched - their manners impeccable.

If you enjoy cocktails - they make the best Martini's. And they do not short on shots - in fact, they pour very generously.

This ship waited over 2 hours in port in Vancouver for late passengers. There was about 50 people who were delayed due to their plane breaking down and the Coral Princess waited for them. The other ship - the Millenium (I believe) did not wait for their late passengers. The ship also waited for my sister and I in Ketchikan when the tour we booked through the cruiseline delayed :o us (and 4 other passengers) by 15 minutes getting back to port.

I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any.:)

Thanks for posting your review. It was very enjoyable to read your comments about your experiences. From all that is written about potentially unpleasant weather in September, you sure got lucky I would say. Good for you!!! We went too early in the season to see John Hopkins Glacier. Maybe someday I will get there.

Your trip is a good example of what several of us always say. There is no reason you have to do the same things as your travel partner(s). It is always a good idea to split up so everyone can do what they would like.

I'd be interesting in your opinions. I have been capturing the various cruise videos this season, and the September 4th Coral Princess was one of them.

You can view it by clicking here.

What I found worth exploring was that you said you never hit any rough water but the capture shows some "rough" seas on the 2nd day out. Perhaps they look rougher in the video than in reality. It also seems to show a few days with rainy and cloudy weather but again, perhaps this weather was when it didn't affect you.

This kind of information is important for me to add to the videos so if someone watches next spring, they get the benefit of your first hand experience.

I'd be interesting in your opinions. I have been capturing the various cruise videos this season, and the September 4th Coral Princess was one of them.

You can view it by clicking here.

What I found worth exploring was that you said you never hit any rough water but the capture shows some "rough" seas on the 2nd day out. Perhaps they look rougher in the video than in reality. It also seems to show a few days with rainy and cloudy weather but again, perhaps this weather was when it didn't affect you.

This kind of information is important for me to add to the videos so if someone watches next spring, they get the benefit of your first hand experience.

Hi IAT:

I don't recall any rough seas on our voyage - mind you, I've never been on a cruise ship before, so perhaps my opinion of rough seas would differ. There was certainly a constant roll/sway - I found it rather soothing (especially at night being rocked to sleep). We were on Deck 5 with an ocean view about midship, and I believe lower decks do not experience as much sway as above. There was certainly a couple of times when I was walking down a hallway that I staggered around (and not due to the martini's ;)).

The 2nd day was our first "sea day" and I was so intent on exploring the ship and maveling at everything, perhaps I did not notice rough seas. A bit of sway, but nothing was crashing around.

There was one moment when we left Glacier Bay that we did see some big swells, but it was only for a few minutes. I believe we must have been crossing a channel and entered some kind of cross-current. It literally was only a few moment and then calm again - I videoed it from my cabin window because it was so different than the rest of the voyage.

It was a bit overcast in Ketchikan, but no rain - and was not cold. Juneau was sunny, sunny, sunny. Skagway had a bit of rain in the morning, but when we went on our raft tour (Haines) there was no rain and the sun shone for brief periods.

Glacier Bay was overcast, but no rain.

College Fjord was sunny, sunny, sunny - if one was to sit away from the wind that day, one could have worn a swimsuit and got a suntan.

Funny thing - I must have great sea legs because I am still experiencing the rocking of the ship - apparantly this is real syndrom - Mal de Disembarkement.

Just to add a few things:

We had an ocean view room and were very satisified - we were up close and personal to the water being on Deck 5. Left the curtains open at night, but realized that coming into port the Captain turns on the outside lights when coming into and they will shine into the stateroom.

We chose the last sitting for dinner at a table of 10. It was a great way to meet new people. |We also realized that if one wants to control their food consumption, it is best to eat in a dining room (as opposed to the buffet) because the portions are smaller and are delivered in a timely fashion - so one does not overeat.

Going around the promanade deck 3 times equals 1 mile :) And taking the stairs as much as possible helps to counteract the buffet (read: eating contest).

The elevators at the stern/aft are not as busy as the ones in midship.

Do plan to attend at least one formal night - especially the first one because it is the Captain's party and free champaigne flows.

Shopping during the last 2 weeks in September is the best for sales - everything is reduced.

Cool. I was on the Golden Princess during the exact days. Where did you boat embark/disembark? Mines was Seattle Roundtrip and we stopped at the ports you mentioned (juneau, skagway, glacier bay, keitchikan, victoria)

Water was very very smooth, except the 2nd night at sea at nighttime because ship was speeding up to make it to Juneau early. By the 5th or 6th night, the boat was so smooth that I didn't even know when the ship started moving again after being ported for the day.

I must say the weather was absolutely beautiful and was very thankful for that.

I went whale watching with Orca Enterprises and was pretty meh about it. We didn't spot many whales at all and did not see any sea otters.

Cool. I was on the Golden Princess during the exact days. Where did you boat embark/disembark? Mines was Seattle Roundtrip and we stopped at the ports you mentioned (juneau, skagway, glacier bay, keitchikan, victoria)

Water was very very smooth, except the 2nd night at sea at nighttime because ship was speeding up to make it to Juneau early. By the 5th or 6th night, the boat was so smooth that I didn't even know when the ship started moving again after being ported for the day.

I went whale watching with Orca Enterprises and was pretty meh about it. We didn't spot many whales at all and did not see any sea otters.

We embarked from Vancouver (several hours late due to waiting for passengers who had plane problems). It was a good thing it was so sunny and warm because no one was too worried - we were all having so much fun on the Lido deck dancing and drinking and just soaking in the sun. The ship probably was speeding that night - but I never felt it.

We disembarked in Whittier. Then took the bus to Anchorage. We were off the ship by 7 am. That bus ride through the 2 mile long tunnel was interesting.

I was very fortunate with my whale watching tour. I booked with Harve and Marve and we were out in the bay around 10:30 and we saw so many whales I didn't know which way to point my camera. Captain Shawn said the day before it was so rough he tried to talk the passengers out of going, but they were determined. One person "lost their lunch" overboard. We didn't see any sea otters, but many sea lions. They were on this rock - about 100 of them, grunting and playing and STINKING...I almost puked from the smell of them.

I think when one sails out of Seatle, they don't go on the inside of Vancouver Island, so the seas are a bit rougher on the otherside. We never stopped in Victoria.

And yes - there was about 5 cruiseships all travelling the same route. We'd see the same ships in port everyday.

"Then took the bus to Anchorage. We were off the ship by 7 am. That bus ride through the 2 mile long tunnel was interesting."

How did you get to Anchorage? What time did you leave? Just wondering as we are going to do the same thing next year and Princess told us they do not leave until at least 11 o'clock. We need to get to Anchorage as soon as we can.

When I went in July with Harv and Marv's we saw quite a few whales. But another boat captain was in radio contact with the other boats (they all are). Funny thing was that captain hadn't seen any whales that afternoon at the time he was in contact with our captain (and he had been on the water about the same length of time we were). Very strange, being that we saw quite a few. But it happens.

And it is rare (though not unheard of) to see sea otters. In fact, we saw one on our whale watch tour but our captain Jay said that was the first one he had seen in years near Juneau. Steller sea lions are much more common.

"Then took the bus to Anchorage. We were off the ship by 7 am. That bus ride through the 2 mile long tunnel was interesting."

How did you get to Anchorage? What time did you leave? Just wondering as we are going to do the same thing next year and Princess told us they do not leave until at least 11 o'clock. We need to get to Anchorage as soon as we can.

We booked a transfer with the cruiseline. Note that this tunnel is one-way (and shares it with the train - it's an old train tunnel). So, traffic is highly regulated and if one has to get the airport early, then it is important that one gets on some kind of transport in the early morning. There are no taxi's in Whittier. They only have buses, trains and I guess rental cars. Every 1/2 hour the direction of the traffic through the tunnel will change.

Disembarkment is highly regulated due to this tunnel. We had to be off the ship by 7 am. Everyone has to be off the ship by 8:30 am. because they are taking on new passengers at this port and have to prepare the staterooms. I guess there are things to do in Whittier - I never looked into it. It takes about 1.5 hours to get to Anchorage - depending on whether you get through the tunnel without having to wait. It's a pleasant ride - lots to see. Just remember that you cannot get a taxi, so you must secure some kind of transport to Anchorage either through the cruiseline or an independant.

We certainly could have done further touring in Anchorage becaue our flight did not leave until 3 pm, but, we were just tired and hung out at the airport - amused ourselves with going to the two bars and enjoying a massage in these chairs. I advise you to only put in a buck for a 3 minute massage because these things gave quite a vigorous massage. It was 1 buck for 3 minutes or 5 bucks for 15 minutes.

Note - there is no duty free shop at the Anchorage airport.

Thought I'd mention that a balcony is really not necessary for an Alaskan cruise. I would certainly say that an oceanview stateroom is great because you can see the ocean up close and personal, but, for viewing purposes of the glaciers - don't fight for space up on the upper decks - go to the promade deck (Deck 7 on the Coral princess). While everyone was fighting for space on the upper decks, trying to see through the windscreens, a totally unobstructed view is available on Deck 7. And it's so easy to simply walk from side to side (go to the stern area).

I think people forget about that deck for viewing purposes.

FBG...

Thanks for posting back, this was very valuable information. We in fact were on the Pearl in May and had seas bigger than what I saw with your cruise and while a few people did get sea sick, these big ships do a great job of smoothing it out.

It was also good to see you description of the weather as it matched up well with what I saw and I can see that it wouldnt have impacted you.

So have you booked another cruise yet.... It's hard to stop once you get started... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the same Golden Princess cruise, Sept. 4 to 11. The 2nd night out was very rough. This was my 3rd cruise and it was the worst rocking I've experienced on this size ship. After that, it was smooth sailing.

In Juneau, we went whale watching and saw 4 whales. We also saw some sea otters later on the cruise but not in Juneau. Weather was great in Juneau and Skagway. We did the train ride to White Pass. What a wonderful trip.

In Ketchikan, we took the tour to the Bight State Totem Pole Park. The driver/guide was native Alaskan and told some wonderful stories about her background and Tlinget culture. She was one of 16 children and is the only one in her family who got her college degree and will be getting her master's degree in social work later this year. I wish I had written down her name or the tour company to thank her.

I really enjoyed Glacier Bay but wondered why another ship got closer to John Hopkins glacier but we couldn't get in after they left. I didn't think our ship was that much bigger. They said they restrict access while the seals are having pups but the season was over.

What's too early in the season?

We were there mid June. The cruise ships aren't allowed to cruise to John Hopkins after the wildlife give birth. I did read a post on this forum that said cruise ships were allowed in after September 1. I am not sure how accurate that post is, but that is what was posted.

We were there mid June. The cruise ships aren't allowed to cruise to John Hopkins after the wildlife give birth. I did read a post on this forum that said cruise ships were allowed in after September 1. I am not sure how accurate that post is, but that is what was posted.

We were there Sept. 8 and the ship ahead of us got really close to the John Hopkins Glacier. We weren't allowed in as close but the park ranger said the area was open because the seals with their newborn pups had already left. Evidently, no one is allowed in when the seals have their pups because the seals might panic when the ships approach and the pups could get injured.

Thanks for the review. I always appreciate info shared by fellow cruisers.

So pleased that the weather was good in Sept. We are booked for next Aug 27th cruisetour thru Princess on the Island Princess. The cruisetour is 4 days prior to the cruise. That puts us on the SB cruise early Sept. Sure hope we luck out with nice weather and calm seas.

Did you book the Chilkat Eagle Preserve River Rafting Float on your on, or through the cruise line? I think this is something we really want to do.

Yes, we actually booked it the night before because we could not decide what we wanted to do. We had looked at the train trip, but decided that we wanted to do something that was a bit more physical. It was a marvelous trip (and really not very physical since the guide is the one who does the rowing). All you have to be able to do is climb in and out of raft and hang on while floating.

If you do this trip - make sure to dress warmly (it's cool on the river) and wear big, thick socks because they give you rubber boots to wear, but I found them very cold. Also, bring gloves, a touque and sunglasses. They do provide jackets too - I was happy about that, or else I would have been very cold.

It's a lovely ride up the fjord to Haines, and then a bus ride to where the rafts are. The float down the river was at least an hour - it depends on how much the river changes as to where you can get off (the river changes weekly). It's actually 3 rivers (braided) that channel into one. There is no white water - so nothing scary.

• 2 months later...

thanks for the info on the Chilkat trip. We are booked on the Coral Princess-Sept 10th cruise out of Vancouver and I was beginning to think Sept was not a very good choice.

I will be sure the check back on this thread and watch the video that is posted

Archived