Hotels and sightseeing ideas in Southampton (merged)

Maureenxx

Hotel suggestions for Southampton anyone? We'll be coming from Edinburgh the day before our TA next fall and would like a nice hotel for overnight. Thank you!

The best hotel in Southampton is the De Vere Grand Harbour, it's also very close to the port and city centre. A cheaper option is the Holiday Inn which is across the road from the De Vere.

Brews'N'Cruise.

There are 2 Holiday Inns in Southampton. Is this the Holiday Inn Express.

I was looking at Ibis hotel, is this close to anything, any comments.

Don't go anywhere near an Ibis hotel; I've stayed in this one and it's not good (the one in Coventry is even worse, but that's another story). Look at tripadvisor for reviews by real people.

Regards, Mary

Thanks, that's the information I wanted.

What about Jury Inn, Novotel, The Star, Holiday Inn Express. The De Vera Grand Harbour is about 50 GBP more than the others, is it worth it. We plan on spending 3 nights and go out exploring each day.

:mad: :mad: We went to the Novotel & really didn't like it. The reception clerks were rude & unhelpful. The rooms were boring, there was no tv & the maid service was sloppy. You shouldn't have to ask for toilet paper. Go to the more expensive hotel.

Mariakitty

Hope you enjoyed your cruise. Can you tell us about your stay at the Novotel. I have read different reviews and of course different opinions. I was thinking between Novotel, Holiday Inn or Jury Inn. Would like your opinion.

I have just booked Rubens in London for our July stay, what did you think of it. What did you do in London. Was the Rubens close to anything. I plan on taking the National Express to Victoria Station, do you know how far the hotel is from it.

We stayed at the Jury lnn earlier this month and loved it. The staff was over the top friendly, hotel clean and location great for us. Had dinner there and the food was excellant. It was less than a 5 minute taxi ride from the train station to the hotel and maybe a 6 minute taxi ride to the ship. From our room we could see the ship docked in the distance. The Jury Inn is right across the street from a wonderful park. If you walk through the park 10 minutes or so you are in the heart of the downtown shopping area. We will stay there anytime. One thing to keep in mind is that the room rate does not include breakfast, however there is a restaurant downstairs serving breakfast. I am not sure of the price as we did not have any. We are not breakfast eaters and waited till we got on the ship. Our room was 84 Pound Sterling (including all taxes).

I have just booked Rubens in London for our July stay... Was the Rubens close to anything. I plan on taking the National Express to Victoria Station, do you know how far the hotel is from it.

The Rubens is directly across the road from the Royal Mews, which itself is on the grounds of Buckingham Palace--so you are virtually on the doorstep of the palace. Thus, also very close to St. James's Park and Green Park. Trafalgar Square (with the National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, & St. Martin in the Fields) is just beyond the far end of St. James's Park (through the Admiralty Arch). Westminster Abbey & the Houses of Parliament are also nearby. All in all, the Rubens is in a fine location.

It is not far at all (a five-to-ten minutes' walk) from Victoria Coach Station, although whether you can walk it when you arrive/depart depends on how much luggage you have. Victoria Station (the railway terminal) is even closer.

Jana is spot on with her description, but be aware that at night you will need to take a cab as the park is not that safe. However, cabs are relatively cheap and very reliable, and the concierge will be able to recommend one of the numerous characterful pubs in the area.

In the daytime, the area is very busy and many locals eat their lunch in the park (in summer!!). The shops are close by, and are open 7 days a week, but only from 11am to 5pm on Sundays.

We stayed one night at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue. It's right across the street from the Devere. We stayed on points and it was fine for one night. We took a taxi from the train station.

After checking in, we took another taxi to the bus station and bought tickets to go to Winchester to see the Cathedral. We found a nice pub for dinner and then took the bus back to Southampton. We just walked back to the Holiday Inn from the bus station. It was about six blocks.

The Holiday Inn Express is way out and not near anything. I don't think anyone would want to stay there.

We used the Novotel in early September and enjoyed it. See my review through this link - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186299-d193833-r5913118-Novotel_Southampton-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

It is in a very convenient location and within walking distance of the major Southampton sights and shopping (about a 2 mile radius).

We took the National Express coach from Heathrow to Southampton (Harbour Parade Station). It took about 1-1/2 hours. This was the final station stop, there were two other brief stops. The Harbour Parade station is about a 10 minute walk to the Novotel. That's not far but when you have a load of luggage it's 10 minutes too long. Also, some of the walk is over cobble-stoned type pavement.

One more comment about National Express. It was easy too use and a great value. I would recommend buying tickets online to avoid the long line at the Heathrow bus station. Seating is first come first serve. The driver loads your luggage underneath the coach. Luggage weight was not a factor. He just stowed whatever luggage you had into the space. When we arrived at Southampton the driver unloaded our luggage and I was prepared to tip him but saw that no one else was tipping him. And to tell the truth, he did not act like he expected a tip. So I just thanked him and he cheerfully said "you're welcome" and went on his way.

We will be on the Sea Princess July 14-21/07. Did you use the National Express back to London. What time did you book to return. We are renting a car to go to Southampton for a few days pre cruise and was thinking of taking the National Express back. We will be staying near Victoria Bus Station.

... What time did you book to return. We are renting a car to go to Southampton for a few days pre cruise and was thinking of taking the National Express back...

Our cruise started in Southampton and ended in Rome so we did not have a return trip through National Express. I believe National Express recommends booking a later time rather than an earlier one. If you happen to arrive at the coach station while the earlier bus is there they will let you board it if there are available seats.

Archived