Hotels and sightseeing ideas in Southampton (merged)

Maureenxx

I did not stay in any of the Holiday Inns but migth help with some information:

The Holiday Inn Express is outside, nowhere near the train station or the city center.

The Holiday Inn is on the waterfront close to the city center.

I stayed in and liked the Star Hotel, a simple but historic hotel with charme right on High Street in the historic city center.

You will need taxi to go to any hotel from the train station but it is just a five minutes or less ride to the Holiday Inn or the Star.

Enjoy.

I have to agree with Carlmm here. I live near Southampton, so I can verify what was said. The Holiday Inn on the waterside is the best place to stay. The Star Hotel is very simple, but adequate. The staff are very friendly too. There is a Novatel and an Ibis across the road from the terminal. Wherever you stay, you will need to get a taxi for the short ride to the cruise ship.

• 1 month later...

We are spending two nights pre-cruise in Southampton, then taking day and night trips in southern England for things to see and do.

As for lodging -- try on a search: "Southampton, bed and breakfast" and see what you get.

Here is the one we have booked: http://www.marinershouse.co.uk/

check the bottom part with -- hosts & rooms and menu. They are a short walk to the trains, good jump off point.

Roger Dodger

Hi Roger, we too are staying with Val at Mariners House in May. There are 3 couples who will be there and we too are going about the South Coast for 4 days. I can't believe how helpful Val has been. Hope you have a great time. We are looking forward to our trip to say the least.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I found the information from the Southampton tourist bureau to be quite useful. http://www.southampton.gov.uk/leisure/tourism/Default.asp#0

I also submitted a request to them for a small booklet which contains some maps and brief descriptions of stores and activities. It took about three weeks for them to deliver the booklet from the time I requested it:

http://www.holidays-in-the-uk.co.uk/sotongov/index.asp

Since we are taking the National Express Coach, we opted to stay at the Novotel because it's within walking distance of the Coach station. The pier is only a few miles away. The cost is about 5 GBP for a taxi from the hotel.

DonLou

Thanks for the information. I am planning a cruise out of Southampton for July/07 and any information you have will be a great help.

Can you come back after your cruise and tell us about the hotel and the National Express.

DonLou...Can you come back after your cruise and tell us about the hotel and the National Express.

I would be more than happy to oblige. It's just that September 2006 seems so far away right now.

The Novotel is right across the road from the piers - it is actually opposite the gates. So really close - you could walk to pier #10 but depends which pier you are going from. It is also right opposite a small shopping centre with one of our big department stores [John Lewis] and a Marks and Spencer. If you need a burger fix there is also a TGI Fridays on site!

Hi, we are staying at the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker which is across the street from DeVere. There rooms start at about 60GBP. We originally booked Novotel, but after reading reviews switched. The standard seemed to be that if you got a Novation room you were fine, but the others were too small and dingy. For the money, HI is bigger and just as well located being nex to Mayfower Park and the Maritime Museum. West Quay Shopping Center is just a couple of blocks, as is Novotel. Check Tripadvisor reviews and see what they say. Have a good trip. Beej

We don't go until October 21, but I'd be glad too. In the menatime checkout the reviews on Tripadvisor.c Put in Southampton GB for the city and see what they come up with. Beej

We have booked the Novotel for our cruise in July, and I will post a review when we get home. Interestingly, we were going to stay at the Holiday Inn, but opted for the Novotel based on reviews I read, including tripadvisor! We booked a novation room, which was within 10GBP of what HI wanted, but I was more impressed with the services available at the Novotel.

The prices at the Holiday Inn seem to vary widely depending on time of year. I know this is common practice for all hotels, but even in London we are staying at the Rubens at the Palace for LESS money than HI, and it's supposed to be a much nicer hotel. I'm pretty picky, so I will definitely give a detailed review when we get home.

Maria

Maria, I look forward to the "scoop" on the HI. C and I got a really good rate based on date and discounts available. You are right tho, the room is the important thing, especially when I have to sleep in it. Looking forward to your input Beej

Roger Dodger

I am planning a stay in Southampton for July/07. Can you tell me about your stay at Mariners House. I noticed from their site that they offer transportation from airport to their Mariners House. How did you get to Southampton. Was Mariners near anything to see or do. How did you get to the port.

• 1 month later...

Hi I will be on the July 24th QM2 24 day TA and Med cruise. We will have A day at the end of eastbound TA and one at beginning of Westbound TA. was wondering what sights are close by to the dock that are interesting to see. Prefferably within walking distance.

Thanks

Michelle

Southampton was basically leveled during WWII as the Original SpitFire production was here, as well as some of the biggest support for DDay. If I had one day, I would walk to the train station, take a 20 minute train ride to Winchester and walk the town. There is a little for everyone - King Arthurs alleged round table (it is 600+ years old), Military museums, Roman ruins, great pubs, shopping, scenic walks, the Winchester Cathedral - oldest in England and used in many scenes in the DaVinci Code movie. Pubs I would reccomend - Wykeham Arms if no one under 18, The Queen if travelling with under 18's. Restaurant Hotel Du Vin or out of town if busting a budget is no worries - Lainston House. There are many websites for Winchester. Compare and Contrast and pick you fun!

There is lots to see/do in an around Southampton. We take back to back cruises on Princess that give us a day here every summer and have enjoyed a), b) and c) of the following and have d) and e) in our future plans:

a) in Southampton - Walking tour of the walls or Titanic Trail - info or link should be on Southampton tourist info website provided by a previous poster

- Maritime Museum

- Tudor House Museum

- Medieval Merchant's House

b) take the ferry to the Isle of Wight - visit Osborne House (Queen Victoria's last residence) and wander around Cowes and along the waterfront promenade

c) take the train or bus to Portsmouth and vist the Historic Dockyard - tour Nelson's ship Victory, 19th century warship Warrior, see recovered hull and artifacts from Tudor ship Mary Rose

d) go to Gosport and see Submarine Museum

e) go to Winchester (as mentioned by previous poster)

BTW - we walk from the QE II Cruise Terminal at the Eastern Docks to the Bargate (where the buses leave) and it takes us about 30min - it takes a bit less to walk to the Isle of Wight Ferries which leave from the Town Quay area and a bit more to walk to the station which is closer to the Western Docks (Mayflower Cruise Terminal)

You can check which pier you will be at on the website below:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

Glad to hear you are interested in taking advantage of your day in Southampton - I'm always amazed at how many back to back passengers we meet who just stay on the ship because there aren't any shorexes offered on the turnaround day and they don't have the interest or intiative to plan their own day. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Archived