LIVE from the Sapphire - 33 days from Seattle to Sydney

Pia1913

Pia - I do hope your wethaer is better when you return to our beautiful country! The weather has been stunning in Christchurch today! I have just come home from the concert in Hagley Park (kind of like Central Park). There were more than 120 000 people there! It started at11:00am but we got there at 10:00am and it finished a little after 8:00pm so was a very long day. What a fantastic time though. All the best New Zealand bands and artists gave up their time to perform, the weather was stunning and I am a little sun burned for the first time this season (even after wearing sunblock).

OK - so Mother Nature was good to us yesterday for the big concert but boy has she just made us pay (on my side of town anyway)! I was just walking through a park towards my local supermarket when there was a very loud bang then a rumble. I could see the ground moving in waves and looked up and could see the houses and lamp posts moving etc. - Freaky! It knocked out the power in our area and the supermarket was evacuated. Power is back on now thankfully. Turns out it was only a 4.8 (smaller than some we've had) but centered just a couple of km from my area just off shore. No wonder it felt so bad here!

Just found your Live thread today and have sat here and read it all. It would almost feel like being there except I have to go to work tomorrow morning.:( Hope your health continues to improve.

Can't wait for, as a commentator used say "the rest of the story".

• 2 weeks later...
OK - so Mother Nature was good to us yesterday for the big concert but boy has she just made us pay (on my side of town anyway)! I was just walking through a park towards my local supermarket when there was a very loud bang then a rumble. I could see the ground moving in waves and looked up and could see the houses and lamp posts moving etc. - Freaky! It knocked out the power in our area and the supermarket was evacuated. Power is back on now thankfully. Turns out it was only a 4.8 (smaller than some we've had) but centered just a couple of km from my area just off shore. No wonder it felt so bad here!

How scary. I hope all those aftershock let up for you soon. I wish you the best.

Archived