Skipping St. John?

Thank you for the info. Is that were the escalators are?

At the mall, about 2 years ago, where your produce market is, I purchased handmade fall colored maple leaf clay brooches from a fellow that gathers the clay from the Bay of Fundy. It brings back memories of our cruise day at Saint Johns. I hope to see him again if I have time next week.

He is still at the city market on the top right corner area. Laura Secord is located at the top of the escalators going from the 1st to 2nd floor of Brunswick Sq. Lawton's is at the bottom of the same escalators.

He is still at the city market on the top right corner area. Laura Secord is located at the top of the escalators going from the 1st to 2nd floor of Brunswick Sq. Lawton's is at the bottom of the same escalators.

Thank you very much.

Ganong Chocolates http://www.ganong.com/ are made in St. Stephen, 70 minutes west of Saint John. They are sold in Saint John. You can purchase them at Lawton's Drugs on the first level of the Brunswick Square Shopping Centre a few blocks from the ship. It's Canada's oldest candy company, but I'm not sure how famous they are in other parts of Canada. IMO stick to the more quality boxes of "Delecto". Brunswick Square also has a Laura Secord store for quality chocolate: http://www.laurasecord.ca/ Laura Secord would be the one of the 2 most recognizable chocolate makers in Canada.

Goodness! Coffee AND chocolate? That alone is enough to get me off the ship... in fact, it's enough to get me to go just about anywhere. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am researching for my possible upcoming cruise. I am researching the port Saint John.

I was excited to see the OP ask the question about what not to miss. As I too am interested and the cruise line does not seem to offer much info as far as excursions here.

Very little was offered on this thread unfortunately except cheerleading for one's town. I'm happy one has pride in their town, but to insult someone because their opinion differs from yours is sad.

Instead of offering something to do, you insulted and belittled, and then searched on CC for attack material...childish!

I came to this thread wanting to find out info regarding this town. This is what I know. I can buy mints. Some people really care about that. I do not. You can go to a farmers market. Okay, i can do that here, every weekend. Is it more of a trader's market? produce? not sure. I can buy a great cup of coffee and see some old churches. There was a mention of zip line but i have no idea where that is. that is the one thing that sounds fun. There was a mention of the tide Bay of Fundy or something along those lines.

No important info was gained....and that's a shame because the OP asked an important question. We come to these boards looking for help. If it's your hometown, great, we'd love to know the answers we are looking for. you have an insight and personal knowledge that we love.

I don't like rude people. Thankfully i'm smart enough to know that one bad apple isn't going to spoil the whole bunch if i remove it quickly enough.

So your opinion of your hometown is not the same as someone else who has visited, what a shame you did not sell us on your lovely town. next time someone asks about your community, be a good cheerleader for your town, help us learn what there is to learn...not attack someone who's opinion differs.

So, now, I'm still searching for info on what to do in this port other than buying produce and mints...or as the OP suggested, I may need to just stay on the ship and skip this port all together. At this point, I don't see a point in getting off.

So please, I ask, any of you, what is there to not miss? Anything to see or do in this port?

Thank you in advance.

Look at this thread. Wonderful info about St. John.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1147722

www.saintjohntransit.com/index.php?id=15 look at local 2 hr. tour, good tour, good price, check date it runs till. After this date they may still run tour on ship days and might have a pickup at the pier. You can call them to find out. We were there after the end date and they ran the tours just for our ship and picked up right at the pier.

We live in Maine and are taking this cruise for a little easy R&R so we are not planning on getting off the ship too often. That said our home in Maine is only about 3.5 hours from St. John and we often travel there to experience something different and take in a hockey game. We noticed that one of the tours offered by the ship is the Hopewell Rocks Provincial Park--often called the Flowerpots-- which is northeast of St. John. It is gorgeous and when the tides are out the experience is quite astounding. Walking on the bottom of the ocean at low tide is pretty much what you think walking on the moon would be like. If there is a excursion to St. Andrews, that is also a beautiful coastal village with lots of charm and ocean views that are mesmerizing. We have not been impressed with the Reversing Falls--perhaps we have hit it at the wrong time--but we are impressed overall by the amazing tides in the Bay of Fundy. Fundy National Park is impressive.

The commercial district in St. John's is small and can be seen in a short period of time. It is a fun excursion. Although we are fond of coffee, honestly when we go to this part of Canada we like to drink Alexander Keith's Red Ale and eat fresh mussels and we often settle in at the bar in the Hilton to do just that. There are several seafood restaurants in the mall connected to the market and to the Hilton which have very fresh seafood including oysters and mussels from PEI.

Hope this helps.

We live in Maine and are taking this cruise for a little easy R&R so we are not planning on getting off the ship too often. That said our home in Maine is only about 3.5 hours from St. John and we often travel there to experience something different and take in a hockey game. We noticed that one of the tours offered by the ship is the Hopewell Rocks Provincial Park--often called the Flowerpots-- which is northeast of St. John. It is gorgeous and when the tides are out the experience is quite astounding. Walking on the bottom of the ocean at low tide is pretty much what you think walking on the moon would be like. If there is a excursion to St. Andrews, that is also a beautiful coastal village with lots of charm and ocean views that are mesmerizing. We have not been impressed with the Reversing Falls--perhaps we have hit it at the wrong time--but we are impressed overall by the amazing tides in the Bay of Fundy. Fundy National Park is impressive.

The commercial district in St. John's is small and can be seen in a short period of time. It is a fun excursion. Although we are fond of coffee, honestly when we go to this part of Canada we like to drink Alexander Keith's Red Ale and eat fresh mussels and we often settle in at the bar in the Hilton to do just that. There are several seafood restaurants in the mall connected to the market and to the Hilton which have very fresh seafood including oysters and mussels from PEI.

Hope this helps.

I am researching for my possible upcoming cruise. I am researching the port Saint John.

I was excited to see the OP ask the question about what not to miss. As I too am interested and the cruise line does not seem to offer much info as far as excursions here.

Very little was offered on this thread unfortunately except cheerleading for one's town. I'm happy one has pride in their town, but to insult someone because their opinion differs from yours is sad.

Instead of offering something to do, you insulted and belittled, and then searched on CC for attack material...childish!

I came to this thread wanting to find out info regarding this town. This is what I know. I can buy mints. Some people really care about that. I do not. You can go to a farmers market. Okay, i can do that here, every weekend. Is it more of a trader's market? produce? not sure. I can buy a great cup of coffee and see some old churches. There was a mention of zip line but i have no idea where that is. that is the one thing that sounds fun. There was a mention of the tide Bay of Fundy or something along those lines.

No important info was gained....and that's a shame because the OP asked an important question. We come to these boards looking for help. If it's your hometown, great, we'd love to know the answers we are looking for. you have an insight and personal knowledge that we love.

I don't like rude people. Thankfully i'm smart enough to know that one bad apple isn't going to spoil the whole bunch if i remove it quickly enough.

So your opinion of your hometown is not the same as someone else who has visited, what a shame you did not sell us on your lovely town. next time someone asks about your community, be a good cheerleader for your town, help us learn what there is to learn...not attack someone who's opinion differs.

So, now, I'm still searching for info on what to do in this port other than buying produce and mints...or as the OP suggested, I may need to just stay on the ship and skip this port all together. At this point, I don't see a point in getting off.

So please, I ask, any of you, what is there to not miss? Anything to see or do in this port?

Thank you in advance.

Check out this link

I just happened to check this board for the first time in ages and I could not believe your attack on Acey. Acey spends hours at the start of each cruise season preparing a new exhaustive thread on what to do in Saint John. He does this out of the goodness of his heart to help visitors.

He has done this for many years and he certainly did not deserve your unkind words.

This is the first summer that I have been absent from this board as I like helping visitors myself and I was thinking it was time to come back. I was taking a break because answering daily questions in great detail is time consuming and it has been a busy summer. Posts like yours make me wonder why anyone bothers to try to help.

Hi sapper1 - It's nice to see you here. I think Almost Packed didn't understand the original question being asked and didn't look through the threads on this board to find Acey's great post - the OP was looking for reasons why one should or should not get off the ship on a port-intensive cruise. I'm sorry that apparently my excursions - which primarily involve walking around town and walking the Harbour Passage, and included the reference to Canada mints - were not of interest to Almost Packed. (Zip line? You won't catch me dead on a zip line anywhere. No offense to people who like that type of excursion, though.:))

Hi sapper1 - It's nice to see you here. I think Almost Packed didn't understand the original question being asked and didn't look through the threads on this board to find Acey's great post - the OP was looking for reasons why one should or should not get off the ship on a port-intensive cruise. I'm sorry that apparently my excursions - which primarily involve walking around town and walking the Harbour Passage, and included the reference to Canada mints - were not of interest to Almost Packed. (Zip line? You won't catch me dead on a zip line anywhere. No offense to people who like that type of excursion, though.:))

Thank you for your reply. I think I was just feeling so bad for Acey that I reacted too quickly. I know that for every 1 person who is nasty about the help given on these boards, there are hundreds more who are happy to get advice and are helped by that advice.

The zip line is fun to watch but I'm with you---no way. The same goes for the jet boat---fun to watch---although I have been through the falls several times on a sailboat under power. That is possible four times daily for about 15-20 minutes each time at one of the slack tides.

Thank you for your reply. I think I was just feeling so bad for Acey that I reacted too quickly. I know that for every 1 person who is nasty about the help given on these boards, there are hundreds more who are happy to get advice and are helped by that advice.

The zip line is fun to watch but I'm with you---no way. The same goes for the jet boat---fun to watch---although I have been through the falls several times on a sailboat under power. That is possible four times daily for about 15-20 minutes each time at one of the slack tides.

Nice to see you back! I was wondering where you went :)

Nice to see you back! I was wondering where you went :)

I am still here but confess that I have not checked this board much this summer. I promise to do better next year. :)

There are only a few more ships scheduled for this year and my husband and I have been lucky enough to have been invited aboard the Crystal Symphony for a tour and lunch next week. It should be great fun and we know several others who have also been invited so that makes it even better.

Check out this link

I just happened to check this board for the first time in ages and I could not believe your attack on Acey. Acey spends hours at the start of each cruise season preparing a new exhaustive thread on what to do in Saint John. He does this out of the goodness of his heart to help visitors.

He has done this for many years and he certainly did not deserve your unkind words.

This is the first summer that I have been absent from this board as I like helping visitors myself and I was thinking it was time to come back. I was taking a break because answering daily questions in great detail is time consuming and it has been a busy summer. Posts like yours make me wonder why anyone bothers to try to help.

there really was no "attack" on acey. my words were much kinder than he had for other people's opinions on this post.

i'm sorry if my rant derailed the conversation that this thread WAS supposed to be about...what there was to do in port...to stay on the ship or get off. was there anything in port "not to miss".

nybumpkin,

i understood the op's question. and no, i had not read through all of the threads on here as i stated earlier i was just beginning my research when i came across this thread by doing a search for Saint Johns.

no need to be sorry about the mints...we all have different likes/dislikes and that's what makes us special!:) but i do love the zip lines and they are a blast! (in my opinion of course)

i was not intending to be rude to anyone...i was taking up for a fellow CC member...and if you read my post, i didn't even use a name....but somehow people new who i was referencing.

I just came here looking for info on what to do in port...or as the op stated, should i stay on the ship? Is there something not to miss in port here.

Archived