My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

You review of Sapphire Beach was awesome! We have been to St. Thomas once before, in 2011, and it rained the whole day. We had plans to visit Magen's Bay, because a friend said they enjoyed it. We didn't end up going, but planned on going back again. We are planning a cruise on the Carnival Liberty for this September, the same cruise we were on before and we are really looking forward to enjoying St. Thomas this time! We were planning to go to Magen's Bay, but after reading your review and looking at your amazing photos, we are most definitely going to Sapphire Beach now!

We are SO excited to snorkel there! We can't wait! Thanks so much for your excellent review!

Thanks. You will love it there. I hope to get back there again some day in the future. It really is a beautiful place. I go on their webcam every so often and just dream. Ahhh :D

In addition....I was just looking at the most recent post, that's CRAZY that you're from Grove City, Ohio. We live about 10 miles from there, in the Hilliard area. What a small world!

You are close. We use to live over there off of Rome-Hilliard Rd then moved to Grove City about 3 years ago. :)

S. Jersey Adventure - Wow! So the beers were pretty cheap! Not bad. You were saying that your calls and data through AT&T were normal rates since it was a US Territory? Really?! That's awesome!

Yes when I had ATT yes same call/price.. I since moved to T-Mobile (much cheaper and unlimited everything , but havent been to ST Thomas since. But will be back there this Sept 2013 we been to Emerald beach and Sapphire but may try Trunk Bay on St John next visit

Yes ATT is the same as being at home. And beer and rum punches are cheaper at the dive center than at Banana Cabana (the rum punches are also better at the dive center if the younger girl is working the BC). But BC has an excellent mahi mahi sandwich!

Thanks for all of the info! We are SO excited to go to Sapphire Beach now! We have been drooling over the pictures and reading through everyone's reviews. The Dive Shop, huh? Is that where you rent all of the water things and snorkel gear? Sounds good! I love rum punch and my hubby and my dad are looking forward to some ice cold beer on the beach =) We are REALLY looking forward to the snorkeling too! It would be SO awesome if we could see a sea turtle! Just got an underwater camera so we are ready to go!

I love rum punch and my hubby and my dad are looking forward to some ice cold beer on the beach =)

when we got dropped off went through to the beach and WENT TO THE LEFT we seen a local lady under the palm trees with 3 large coolers full of drinks and beer i bought a bucket actually 2 after the first one was finished :p. VIDEO HERE see drink stand at end of video

I didn't buy from the restaurant or the servers on the beach as i know the beer would have been triple price. we and another couple we meet wound up being the last to leave the beach and got a cab that gave us a "tour" or he took the long way back to the ship at no additional charge he made a few stops, we tipped him when we got dropped off. here are a few pics of Sapphire not sure if I posted them yet.

the beach had seaweed from a big tropical storm the week before (we just missed it)

Drink stand to the left of where the lady is laying down , we setup in this area \/

sapphirebeach1.jpg

sapphirebeach2.jpg

sapphirebeach4.jpg

sapphirebeach3.jpg

we are setup almost in front of the drink/beer stand and under palms trees for shade , we didn't have to pay for lounge chairs \/

sapphirehinny1.jpg

We will be back in St. Thomas in Sept 2013 may do trunk bay/beach on st john

I have more pics and video i need to find

enjoy

Your pictures are beautiful, but waaaaay too big. I cannot see them in their entirety on my screen, which is pretty standard size - a large laptop screen. I have to scroll to see them all which loses the impact. Also, it makes the script impossible to read without scrolling to the right and then back to the left, so I just don't read it. It messses up the script on the whole page, too. Please, if you post more pictures make them a bit smaller so we can all enjoy them. As I said, they seem to be beautiful.:)

yes I noticed that - they are half the original size

now I dont see a edit button

next time Ill get them around 1024/768

I posted with my main PC which is 1080p

thanks for the heads up

here is the message in again without the pics :)

"when we got dropped off went through to the beach

and WENT TO THE LEFT we seen a local lady under

the palm trees with 3 large coolers full of

drinks and beer i bought a bucket actually 2 after the

first one was finished :p.

VIDEO HERE see drink stand at end of video

I didn't buy from the restaurant or the servers on the beach

as i know the beer would have been triple price. we and

another couple we meet wound up being the last to

leave the beach and got a cab that gave us a "tour"

or he took the long way back to the ship at no

additional charge he made a few stops, we tipped

him when we got dropped off. here are a few pics of

Sapphire not sure if I posted them yet.

the beach had seaweed from a big tropical storm the

week before (we just missed it)

yes I noticed that - they are half the original size

now I dont see a edit button

next time Ill get them around 1024/768

I posted with my main PC which is 1080p

thanks for the heads up

here is the message in again without the pics :)

"when we got dropped off went through to the beach

and WENT TO THE LEFT we seen a local lady under

the palm trees with 3 large coolers full of

drinks and beer i bought a bucket actually 2 after the

first one was finished :p.

VIDEO HERE see drink stand at end of video

I didn't buy from the restaurant or the servers on the beach

as i know the beer would have been triple price. we and

another couple we meet wound up being the last to

leave the beach and got a cab that gave us a "tour"

or he took the long way back to the ship at no

additional charge he made a few stops, we tipped

him when we got dropped off. here are a few pics of

Sapphire not sure if I posted them yet.

the beach had seaweed from a big tropical storm the

week before (we just missed it)

Thanks! :D

Nice video. the original post didn't have the link I don't think.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

$20 pp - $25 pp is the going price. I doubt if you will find anything cheaper.

Not trying to beat the taxi question to death, however is it $ 20 - 25 per person one way or round trip? Also, anyone have concerns with getting back to the ship on time. Will be in port in April from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. Want to do Paradise Point as well and want to try and do that first, however some have posted they do not open until 9 and I'm not sticking around waiting on that when we can get to Sapphire. Any suggestions?

it was $10 per person to Sapphire

and about the same back

its a set price

there is some "resort shopping stores" right off the ship and bars

or taxi to the downtown shopping is I think about $4

Emerald Beach / Lindbergh Bay is $4 and is also a Great beach for

swimming but not for snorkeling http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29585118&postcount=14

I found a few Prices below the more people the cheaper it is they are flexible and may on the way back give you a tour for the same price.Just get out early.

taxioa.jpg

taxi2o.jpg

and below there are the open air cabs/taxes/vans \/

taxis.jpg

Edited by S.Jersey Adventure

Not trying to beat the taxi question to death, however is it $ 20 - 25 per person one way or round trip? Also, anyone have concerns with getting back to the ship on time. Will be in port in April from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. Want to do Paradise Point as well and want to try and do that first, however some have posted they do not open until 9 and I'm not sticking around waiting on that when we can get to Sapphire. Any suggestions?

Our perfect day is to taxi to Sapphire first, the 1/2 taxi fare is $18pp roundtrip from Havensight ($20pp from CA). Taxi back to Havensight and go to PP. You have different options for getting to PP - youi can have the taxi drop you and take the tram down, or tram up and down. You probably know you can buy the tram tickets at your excursions desk for about $18pp roundtrip, you can also buy a one-way ticket at the top for the ride down. It's a short walk from the tram to the ship if docked at Havensight (WICO). If docked at Crown Bay you'll have to taxi back to the ship.

You will be able to enjoy beautiful Sapphire Beach and have plenty of time for PP. If you spend 5 - 6 hrs at the beach you'll still have a couple hours for PP. Because you're not returning to Havensight late in the day you could even stop at Iggie's Beach Bar in Bolongo Bay for a quick rum punch and enjoy the vibe there while the taxi waited. Just ask a driver if he can accommodate that if you want that. But PP is our favorite spot to end the day before returning to the ship.

Have a great day!

Our perfect day is to taxi to Sapphire first, the 1/2 taxi fare is $18pp roundtrip from Havensight ($20pp from CA). Taxi back to Havensight and go to PP. You have different options for getting to PP - youi can have the taxi drop you and take the tram down, or tram up and down. You probably know you can buy the tram tickets at your excursions desk for about $18pp roundtrip, you can also buy a one-way ticket at the top for the ride down. It's a short walk from the tram to the ship if docked at Havensight (WICO). If docked at Crown Bay you'll have to taxi back to the ship.

You will be able to enjoy beautiful Sapphire Beach and have plenty of time for PP. If you spend 5 - 6 hrs at the beach you'll still have a couple hours for PP. Because you're not returning to Havensight late in the day you could even stop at Iggie's Beach Bar in Bolongo Bay for a quick rum punch and enjoy the vibe there while the taxi waited. Just ask a driver if he can accommodate that if you want that. But PP is our favorite spot to end the day before returning to the ship.

Have a great day!

Thank you, sounds like a plan. Any issues with finding a taxi and getting back to ths ship? Any set time we should be leaving to beat traffic?

I could see the pictures Great! Did you see many fish, I see some people snorkeling. Also, where is the shopping in St. Thomas? I want to go to Sapphire as well with the family, but don't want to miss some shopping!!

The best shopping is in Charlotte Amalie, from the Havensight dock you can walk or take a $5 taxi. There is also some shopping at Havensight but mostly jewelers. CA also has some interesting history and the "alleyways" are neat.

per person

if you have more people in "your group" it cost less

So make some friends on-board or while waiting for the cab/van :)

when you get off the ship the cabs/vans are everywhere and all trying to compete for your business.

they will come back to pick you up if you ask or you may find other cabs waiting for passengers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mitsugirly! I'm so glad I found this thread. My family spent the day at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel last September and it was your reviews/photos that convinced me to go there. We LOVED it!

I just booked a last-minute cruise which leaves on 3/30. With less than two weeks to plan, I'm scrambling. We've never been to St. Thomas before. After seeing your review, I'm leaning towards snorkeling at Sapphire Beach, since I found Chankanaab to be exactly as amazing as you said it was.

Thanks for always taking the time to post very detailed reviews. It's definitely appreciated.

Hey Mitsugirly! I'm so glad I found this thread. My family spent the day at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel last September and it was your reviews/photos that convinced me to go there. We LOVED it!

I just booked a last-minute cruise which leaves on 3/30. With less than two weeks to plan, I'm scrambling. We've never been to St. Thomas before. After seeing your review, I'm leaning towards snorkeling at Sapphire Beach, since I found Chankanaab to be exactly as amazing as you said it was.

Thanks for always taking the time to post very detailed reviews. It's definitely appreciated.

So glad you enjoyed your day at Chankanaab. We loved the place and I love when I can give a review that helps someone else decide.

Try out Sapphire. It's beautiful. I hope to make it back there again some day (I just keep booking these cruises that go to the Western instead :p) Let me know what you decide (come back here and post) and give us updates. :)

So it could be less than $10 if we have 6 people in our group?

We had 5 in our group and 3 are children. No discount at all. 100.00 up and back total. Chairs are 7.00 a piece and believe me you need one,otherwise your towel will get wet. You need to keep all your stuff up from the sand because the tides and waves come all the way up when you least expect it. It was kinda funny watching people first arrive and the first wave get all their stuff wet! Well, that happened to us! LOL

And...we had all our snorkel gear ready from the ship but the water and current is so rough this time of year at Sapphire no one could snorkel. So that was a big blow! We were there last week March 14. Have fun, it is beautiful though. And we tried so hard to find iguanas and did not locate one?

We spent the day at Sapphire Bay beach last April. It had the best snorkeling of any of the islands we've been to (including boat charters to St, John's). We saw more fish and coral there than any other beach or snorkeling site. We didn't see any sea turtles or sting rays, but we also didn't go to the far right or left of the beach (where people have spotted them). I do recommend that you wear water shoes or flippers upon entering the water, as coral and sharp shells reside just under the surface. Also, be careful strolling along the beach for the same reason. The Sapphire Bay condo resort is rather run down, and there are few services available for lunch (there is an overpriced snack shack if you are in a pinch- beware that service is very slow and not the friendliest, but it will do in a pinch), but the beach and snorkeling are fantastic. The dive shack has the better rum punch, and cheap at $4-5 a cup. We felt very safe at the beach, there were a lot of other cruise ship people there, but the beach wasn't too crowded. There are plenty of iguanas around if you want to get photos. One nice thing about this beach is that it doesn't get very deep even if you get far out from the shore. If you can, bring some of your own snacks or water to the beach, have a great day, and maybe stop by Red Hook or Havensight on the way back for a late lunch or some island cocktails. I think our cab fare from the cruise terminal to Sapphire Bay was about $15-20 per person, each way.