Advice on travel: cruise out of Long Beach

RollerCoasterLover

Please help me if at all possible: Every time I have cruised, we have drove (but living in Missouri, going to the gulf or Florida east coast is not bad). However, California is a different story. What are my options?

I have considered flights (which most are about the same as what I paid for the cruise to begin with). I have considered train (never traveled like this before). And I have considered driving (which means I will be covering a lot of highway miles, and spending a night or two in hotels).

What are some personal opinions out there?

If I fly, I am also facing the dilemma of which airport: LAX or LBG? Please help, thanks in advance!!! :)

If you can get a reasonable flight into Long Beach, then you are approxiamtely 20 minutes from downtown LB and the cruise ship terminal. Spend the night to relax and enjoy the downtown area.

Flying into LAX will be cheaper, but the cost of the shuttle/cab into LB will be more. Take the return trip into consideration, too. At Long Beach, 1 hour ahead of flight time is sufficient; LAX (depending on airline) you'll need more time.

Long Beach Airport is so much nicer to fly into.... it is straight out of the 1940's- very small and not much hassle. You actually walk down the stairs from the plane, across the tarmac through a very small terminal to the baggage claim area. I will fly from LGB any time I can get a flight vs. LAX.

Also you could consider flights into SNA (Orange County). It too isn't very far up the road.....

I would fly unless there are places you have wanted to see on the way--such as the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Denver. Of course, if it is in the winter, you will need to decide if you want to deal with the possibility of snow and ice on the roads.

To check out the air fares on all the airlines, go to kayak.com. Don't know if you would fly out of St. Louis or Memphis.

LAX is generally cheaper than LGB or SNA. A shared shuttle would be the most cost effective way to get to/from LAX or SNA to Long Beach.

Many use the "bid your own price" function on Priceline for a 3 1/2 star or high hotel in zone 1--downtown Long Beach only.

Many, many years ago, I went on the train from Los Angeles to Kansas City to Jefferson City (then a taxi to Columbia for the U. of Missouri). Was about 36 hours back then.

When we were going on an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle, we went on Amtrak up the coast from Oxnard, CA to Seattle. Took 40 hours each way.

One thing to consider is the time, which means less time for any sightseeing you may wish to do in Southern California. Also, if there's some problem along the way (with the train or rails), you would be put on a bus, which will take more time. So it's a good idea to pad in extra time so you don't risk getting into your embarkation city too late. We had padded a day pre-cruise -- so our scheduled arrival was about 8:20 pm Friday night for a Sunday cruise, but we got in Seattle around midnight.

In addition, unless you get a coach ticket, the fare could often be as much as a plane ticket. So you have to decide if you want to pay extra for a sleeper cabin.

If you fly, I also recommend coming in at least a day ahead. Just in case there's problems with flights (mechanical, labor, weather,etc.). If you want to fly home the day you disembark, do not book any flights before about 12:30pm out of LAX. I seem to remember an earlier time is all right for Long Beach.

Either way, you'll want to stay in a hotel in Long Beach (check out posts by Bruin Steve about Long Beach hotels -- he has great info). If you decide to come in two or more days ahead, then you can consider some other areas of LA too (avoid downtown LA, Carson, and other industrial areas). Come back here and tell us what types of attractions you want to see here and you'll get suggestions for hotels.

As for driving, unless you've got a lot of spare time, and want to see America between Missouri and California, do you really want to do that? You'll need a few days of the cruise just to sack out.

Please help me if at all possible: Every time I have cruised, we have drove (but living in Missouri, going to the gulf or Florida east coast is not bad). However, California is a different story. What are my options?

I have considered flights (which most are about the same as what I paid for the cruise to begin with). I have considered train (never traveled like this before). And I have considered driving (which means I will be covering a lot of highway miles, and spending a night or two in hotels).

If I fly, I am also facing the dilemma of which airport: LAX or LBG? Please help, thanks in advance!!! :)

Your options are to drive, take a bus, take train or fly. I have driven across country twice. You will have to decide if you want to spend six days (three coming + three going) driving.

I have also taken a bus cross country once - and never again. You are stuck in a seat with nowhere to go and sometimes with passengers I would rather not spend time with again. The seat don't recline too much, so sleeping is difficult. Finally, I hope you enjoy truck stop food, 'cause that is where the drivers stop for meals.

At least with the train you can get up and walk. If you pay extra for a sleeper coach you can lay down to sleep. The problem with the trains is they have a LOT of trouble keeping to their schedule. Two day trips can easily take three days.

Flying is the fastest, but as you have notices, also the most expensive. That said, if I'm not driving to the port then I am flying.

Long Beach is the closest airport, but has a limited number of flights and airlines. LAX is the next closest airport and has a very large number of flights and airline choices.

Personally, I would not drive...I'd fly...

But, I wouldn't drive from Missouri to Miami either...

You're looking at about a 1,200 mile drive to Miami...

...and a 1,800 mile drive out here...

So, if you are willing to drive 600 mile days, you're looking at two days to Miami...and, if you don't mind that, it would be three of the same sort of days to SoCal...

Depending on where exactly in Missouri you live, you'd probably be taking I-44 to Oklahoma City, then I-40 straight across...

Unless, of course, you wanted to take your time and make a longer trip out of it...You could vary the route...take some detours off I-40...Mesa Verde? Zion? Grand Canyon? Las Vegas? Of course, doing those justice would add days to your trip...

But, driving it straight, you're likely trying to make it to somewhere in the Oklahoma/Texas border area at the end of the first day, then to somewhere in Arizona at the end of Day two...If you could average as much as 70-75 miles an hour with stops for gas, restrooms and lunch, you are looking at three 9-10 hour days...

Three days there, three days back and a 7 night cruise in the middle...If you have that much time, it's more relaxing to fly here and spend that time here in SoCal, enjoying a pre-cruise stay...

Also, figure that if you drive a 3,600 mile round trip, even averaging 30 miles per gallon, that's 120 gallons of gas at, say, an average of $3 per gallon (yes, it costs that here in California--or more--and it cost more in out of the way places where you have few choices...That's $360 just for gas...add in the hidden costs--depreciation on your car and the costs of service that go with the miles...You're not saving much driving...plus you are risking accidents, breakdowns, speeding tickets, etc.

So, yes, I'd fly...

You actually have a choice of several airports...

LGB is marginally closer to the harbor than LAX...The real trade-offs are the ease of getting around the airport and shorter lines for security and check-in at LGB versus the large selection of flights and times at LAX...The other reasonable choices (I'll omit Ontario as, unless you get a great deal flying there, there is little to recommend it) are John Wayne/Orange County and Burbank...both are considerably farther from the port, but, if you're doing a pre-cruise stay elsewhere in the area, they may be more convenient...and both also smaller than LAX...John Wayne is in the Newport Beach/Irvine area of Orange County and makes the most sense if doing a pre-cruise at Disney or other Orange County attractions...Burbank is a great little airport and makes a lot of sense if you're doing a pre-cruise visit to Hollywood/Universal/Burbank and the studios...

Of course, you'll likely find the most and most convenient flights going into LAX--which is only 20 miles from the pier at San Pedro and about 23 to the pier in Long Beach...Of course, you'll deal with the possibility of lines for security and/or check-in and waits for luggage...it's one of the busiest and largest airports in the country...

So, to recap, I recommend flying here a few days early...spend that time enjoying some of the local sights, then head down to the cruise relaxed and stress-free, then fly home after the cruise so you don't deal with a long trip when you're done...

Good luck...

Thank you for all of the great advice. I will probably end up flying, as it doesn't take very long (not like driving or trains). But now the decision is with the airport. I have thought about LAX with the more options, but what about transportation down to the LB area? I have thought about LB, but there are limited options. Anyone have thoughts on transportation from LAX?

Sorry for so many questions, but we are going in March and I just want to have it all figured out prior to Christmas. (Plus, my sister is having her baby in January and I really won't have time to think about much while I am helping with an infant).

there are two shared van services that operate out of LAX, supershuttle and primetime. Their rates are about the same. using the fare quote system on supershuttle.com, the cost for two from LAX to the Queen Mary Hotel (which is right next door to the Carnival terminal) is $34, from Long Beach Airport, it is $28 (cab would be about the same.) From John Wayne Airport in Orange County, it is $46.

I don't blame you for getting everything tied down now--I like to have everything arranged so I can focus on the fun stuff!

Looking at Kayak.com, it looks like the best rates are on Delta from St. Louis (I assumed that was your closest major airport) to LAX $276 pp rt.

the shuttle service will drop you at any hotel you select.

Many on these boards use priceline, bid your own price, zone 1, 3 1/2 stars only for Long Beach. You will get one of the top hotels, renaissance, westin, hyatt or hilton in downtown Long Beach.

I may end up flying to lax from stl and taking one of the shuttles down to LB area. We will probably fly in a day early, so do you think those shuttles will drop you at a particular hotel?

If you are truly a roller coaster lover, then you should take a taxi. Its just like a roller coaster, except there is no track.

I have flown into LAX & Long Beach many times - I always choose Long Beach first - I only fly into LAX as a last resort. LAX is a massive airport whereas LB is a nice, small and really easy to navigate airport around. It takes no more than 15 minutes to get off your flight, pick up your luggage & walk across the street to the car rental/shuttle pickup area. At LAX it will take you 60 minutes - on a good day. On one trip into LAX it took 2 hours from the time I got off the plane until I got to the taxi stand (seems the police lost a prisoner they were transporting & shut down the entire terminal I was in)!

If you can then fly into Long Beach :D

Have you checked to see if Allegiant or Southwest flies to/from an airport close to your home to LAX? Those airlines really seem to be the cheapest around, especially if you hit a sale. They aren't advertised on search engines like orbitz or kayak, so they wouldn't come up on the "radar". We are flying from our local, little airport to LAX for $200 round trip on Allegiant. I saw that allegiant flies from springfield, MO to LAX and the rates look pretty good. $89 each way for some dates. Not sure how close you are to Springfield though. Southwest flies from St. Louis and Kansas to LAX too. They might be worth checking out too.

Hope this helps!

Archived