You MUST have travel insurance

Sherwoodforest

tells of the sickness of her DH

The OP's profile says that she is a widow traveling with a widower. That's why I referred to Zoltan as her friend. ;) Of course, they could be married.

Isn't it just possible that Sherwoodforest is actually telling the truth, is sincere, and wanted to make the point she made?

I agree! I can't believe all the doubt on this thread. What purpose would the OP have in publishing such a bogus thread?

Let's wait and hear what she has to say. It will not be the first time I have read a review where the cruise line's Port Agent was no help. We don't know what clinic they were sent to. Sure there are nice hospitals and clinics around the island, but there could also be terrible clinics.

Its been a day now and no response and like I said

The OP responded at 12:35. ;)

There is no mention of DH, widow or widower in the original post.

I am not saying it is not true. I am not saying it is true.

I am saying I do not believe it to be true at this particular moment in time.

Cabo is not an island. It is the tip of the Baja of California. There are some rocks sticking out at the tip, but other than sea lions and gulls no inhabitants. ;) :D

Are there bad clinics in Cabo, possibly. How in the world they would end up at one is simply beyond my imagination. I can not imagine that the HAL folks would transport them to one as described. Between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo are an amazing run of golf courses, resorts, condominiums, million dollar homes that are not mostly filled with Mexican nationals, but wealthy Americans. This 20 mile corridor is simply loaded with folks that can afford to pay for medical services. Would I prefer to get really sick outside the Cleveland Clinic or a hospital in Cabo?:D No contest.

Here is a link to one of the new hospitals in the area it opened in 2001. It looks like some of the emergency medicine places in my town. Or the hospitals in small town USA.

http://www.amerimed-hospitals.com/cabo_san_lucas.htm

jc

If the situation was as described, how terrible to be in such awful circumstances in such a lovely area.

That said, I am puzzled by the reference to an open sewer near the clinic room. Cabo San Lucas was specifically built tourists, with potable, treated drinking water and a good sanitary system. I have spent hours several different years riding dune buggies through-out Cabo and particularly the area where the poorer people of Cabo San Lucas live. Even there with the dirt roads and hugh pot holes there are no open sewers.

I agree with an above poster, while such clinics may exist in Cabo San Lucas, I seriously wonder why one like that would be selected by HAL. That said, I do second the OP message about insurance. The one time I needed to use it paid for the insurance on many future cruises.

I will try to answer some of your questions: The Hopital in Cabo San Lucas was Hospital de Especialidades. The Doctor was Dr. Miguel Tolosa V., I don't know the name of the air ambulance that Holland America's Ship Agent, Gillermo Lopez, got to lie to me about the cost of the air service. But here is his phone numbers 52.612.1254614, 52,612.1431819, 52,612.1240338, 52.612.61956 Cell phone#1, 52.612.34.88436 Cell phone #2. Everybody have more than on cell phone because calls got dropped all the time. The Travel Insurance we bought was thru Access America PO Box 90315 Richmond Va 23230-9315, Phone 1-800-284-8300 Fax# 1-804-673-1491.

We were at the hospital for 28 hours, it took 8 hours for me to speak to my travel ins. and then it was to late to send a plane so we had to wait until 1:00PM Friday afternoon for them to arrive and the hospital did not take us to the airport until 3:30 PM. So two pilots, 1 doctor and 1 paramedic had to wait at the airport for us for 2 1/2 hours, so the filthy clinic could run up more charges. Also Mr. Lopez said he would ship the luggage to us, but today Holland America called me and said the luggage was my problem and I would have to send more money to have it shipped. I called UPS today and I will have to have a person I trust, place the tracking numbers on the luggage and besides the shipping I have to pay export or import tax. I am running out of space, so I will get to the other questions soon. This is not a hoax its a warning.

Oh my gosh people, if you dont believe it then ignore it, it's a warning that possibly could happen anywhere in the world. Take it for what it is, a caution about whether you should get travel insurance or not. If you dont believe it, then dont heed to the warning and dont buy travel insurance. Sherwoodforest, I for one thank you for the warning, get well Zoltan and I hope I will never have to go thru that kind of experience! :)

I saw that hospital before. Never saw a sewer around it. I hope Z gets better, but an incident like this is about the last reason *why* I would get travel insurance. I would get travel insurance for something a little more likely to happen, but thats just be. Wish you and Z the best.

Did we see this coming? Zoltan went to bed Wed night and he was fine as he had been the entire trip, but at 3:30 AM he woke me up and he couldn't breathe. The doctor in Tucson said he had an infection in his lungs and it built up fluid around his heart and that led to all the problems, they think.

ZDUDE: I never posted before and I didn't know what infor. I should post, but I have learned my lesson. This clinic is a very old building and in the (ICU) room as it was called there was a door at the foot of Zoltans bed and Zoltan thought it was a bathroom. I opened the door and it had been a bathroom but the toilet had been removed. All that remained was the open sewer and outside the wall was more of the open sewer. Our luggage that was sitting by Zoltans bed was covered with bugs coming out of that open sewer (I will save them for anyone that wants them since I don't know their names) if I get the luggage back.

SEA ISLAND LADY: I didn't know what to put down on our OP's profile so I put Widow traveling with a Widower. Zoltan and I met in Jan. 2000 after our spouses died in 1999 in a hospice support group. We supported each other during our time of grief. Since I am disabled and Zoltan has health problems (6th pacemaker) we just started taking care of each other. We just feel safe with each other. This was our 4th cruise and more than likely our last. I have called Holland America Customer Relations Dept. two times since Monday and have heard nothing from them. I will let you know what happens (with Names)

I brought Zoltan home from the hospital (Tucson Heart) (Dr. Dietmar Gann)this afternnon and he is real weak and just needs lots of TLC which I think I can give. Thanks for your good wishes and prayers.

Sherwood--

My heart goes out. You and Zoltan have both recently suffered losses in your lives. How wonderful that you have each other for support now. Thank you for telling us your story. I am sorry that several readers misinterpreted your reason for posting this information--these boards are anonymous, and it's easy to distrust.

My husband and I buy travel insurance now for just the circumstance you describe--a medical emergency in a part of the world with less sophisticated medical facilities. In fact, that's all that we purchase--basic medical and medical evacuation insurance. We "self-insure" for trip cancellation, our reasoning being that over time what we pay for insurance will equal or surpass any loss from a cancelled trip.

I too am concerned for Zoltar....how often do you have to take him for Dialysis?? With Renal failure occuring in a foreign country with little resources I'm sure they must want to see Zoltan daily or atleast every other day. That, in itself, is a costly sum! Who did you talk to at HAL?? I have to call today for my booking and I also want to voice my concerns! Thanks for taking the time to warn us...

SEA ISLAND LADY: I didn't know what to put down on our OP's profile so I put Widow traveling with a Widower.

You really didn't need to put anything in your profile and you can also go in and change it by going to the top of this page to the blue tool bar, where it says "User CP". Click on "Edit Profile" in the left hand column. However, I wouldn't change a thing as I think it is a cute profile. It's great that you have someone to share your life with since the loss you both suffered.

I am curious as to how you found the Cruise Critics and what made you post here? Glad you did as we are heading to Cabo a week from tomorrow on the Oosterdam. We will be traveling with my late 70's parents who are not in that good of health. We do have insurance for anything that may come up with any of us....you just never know. :eek:

I too think that your travel insurance pays for the shipment of your luggage. Save any receipts you get and turn them in along with everything else.

I hope Zolten is on his way to a recovery and you two get to cruise once more. :)

Thank you so much for your warning. I too have bought the travel insurance since between my DH and myself we take 11 pills a day. Hopefully we will not need it as this is our first cruise. I cannot believe the comments people have written as I don't see where a bank was listed for everyone's donations. What type of scam can be run by a warning on insurance. She did not even want to sell you the insurance. The both of you have a wonderful life together and God bless you.

Tyman , Zoltan has not started Dialysis, last year his kidney was at 10% and he started drinking water like he should and he got his number up to 25% and he had been doing fine. Since they had to give him diuretics for the fluid around his heart it threw the kidneys into a tail spin.

Sea Island Lady: You wanted to know how I found Cruise Critic, Zoltan and I was sitting in the lounge on the ship and this official looking guy from Holland America came up to us and ask if we were from Cruise Critic. Com. I told him we had never heard of them. But I wrote the web address down and thought I would check it out when we got home.

Zoltan is still very weak and he is resting most of the time, and I hope he will be up an about soon.

Will keep you posted about his health.

Archived