Layover time question DTW

nancy anne

Flying MSP to DTW to FCO on a Thursday next Sept on Delta. Is 1hr 10 min a safe margin to make the FCO flight? The plane leaves MSP @ 3:30 P. There is another flight from MSP to DTW @ 11:30 but 5+ hours seems excessive. These flight are all based on current flights in Aug, so I know the chance for change in schedule is great with Delta.

Also which is a more comfortable ride in business class with Delta--767/300 or A 330/300?

Nancy

You'll make 1h10 quite easily. DTW is a very easy airport through which to transfer. Here's a map: http://www.metroairport.com/pdf/maps/3-23-10_Mac_Terminal_Gate_Map.pdf As for seats, I think it is a matter of personal preference. The 763 has the old recliner-style seats, whereas the 333 has lay-flat, but not at 180 degrees -- 176 deg. I'm a side sleeper, so I appreciate the lay flat, but I find I end up sliding down the seat towards the foot, over the course of sleeping. The recliner-style doesn't have that problem, but you can only comfortably sleep on your back.

Scott.

Personally, the A330 is a much better bird in biz than the old 767s, UNLESS you get the 767-400 reconfigured with the new flat-bed seats. The A330 has the flat "slant-board" seats, while the 767 has the old barcalounger style. Also, the 767 seat is quite narrow by comparison.

If in international biz, remember that you get to use the priority checkin at MSP, the priority security line, and SkyClub access.

Nancy:

As you said, schedules can -- and will -- change. That said, isn't there a flight leaving MSP at 1:15 or so?

As others have written, the Delta nee Northworst terminal at DTW is an excellent facility. If it were me (I lived in St Paul up until a year ago and did a lot of business travel to Europe), I would NOT take the last flight out of MSP which connected with the trans-Atlantic flight.

It's a corollary to Murphy's Law that if you spend extra time to make sure you make the connection, all your flights will be on-time.:)

Excellent point about 3:30 being the last flight out! I now see the 1:15P flight which would be perfect. I sure hope Delta keeps DTW as a direct to FCO in Sept. I know they run different schedules between winter and summer. Thanks!

Nancy

Archived