Enchantment vs. Freedom

BranandChev

Trying to plan a family cruise and I was hoping for Freedom but we can sail out of Baltimore and avoid airfare. I need opinions on the differences between the two ships. Will we be disappointed if we choose Enchantment? The age range that will be travelling is 21-56 if that helps.

Thank you for any opinions.

Boy did you come to the right spot. I too was wondering about these two ships. My wife and I are taking our kids, and grandkids on their first cruise next year; we looked at Enchantment out of Baltimore, because our son and his family live in the DC area, and yes it would save on airfare. But you can not compare Enchantment with Freedom. Yes, I did book Freedom and now will be paying for airfare to Orlando; but Freedom has so much more the the kids; here is what I found:

FREEDOM: flowrider, ice rink, royal promenade, H2O pool and tot pool

Enchantment: none of the above

Freedom is absolutely amazing, much newer and larger than Enchantment. Your family would not be disappointed if you chose Freedom. You can land very cheap airfares to Orlando if you hit it right. I got a $59 fare each way from Pittsburgh, then rented a car for about $40 for the 1-hour drive to Port Canaveral. Well worth it.

Agree with AF-1. You really can't compare the two (the whole apples and oranges thing).

Enchantment is a beautiful ship and one that we have cruised on a number of times. Freedom is a different animal. Bigger for sure, with an array of activities not available on the smaller ships, but a different creature.

I would ask what you are looking for in a vacation. If more of a chance to visit with family, play cards, hang out by the pool together, etc. is the most important (i.e. you find you that you tend to entertain yourselves), then whichever is more convenient would be fine.

If you find that folks like (or need) to be entertained, Freedom will have more to offer. It is also a much newer ship and over time cruise lines tend to make improvements to designs, and Freedom has the advantage of a decade of these thoughts incorporated into her design.

However, Freedom is big, it can take a while to figure out where everything is, and can feel crowded. Enchantment is smaller, shorter walks between venues, and I've never felt crowded even when the ship is full (which both usually are).

So there you go. I start by saying you can't compare the two and then proceed to try to do so :-)

Good luck with your trip. I think by choosing RCCL you've made a good choice. You should have a great time whichever ship you choose!

Boy did you come to the right spot. I too was wondering about these two ships. My wife and I are taking our kids, and grandkids on their first cruise next year; we looked at Enchantment out of Baltimore, because our son and his family live in the DC area, and yes it would save on airfare. But you can not compare Enchantment with Freedom. Yes, I did book Freedom and now will be paying for airfare to Orlando; but Freedom has so much more the the kids; here is what I found:

AGREED!!! The Freedom class ships offer so much more for kids than the Enchanment would. I would for sure book on a freedom class ship especially with kids over the Enchanment.

I "kinda" agree with all responding BUT I would have to go on Enchantment for the money savings.

Both ships are wonderful in their own way. Since you have 21yr old and up, no need for H20 zone.

I have been on both (me, 49 yr old) and I would cruise on either one.

Ports of call could be a contributing factor as well as length of cruise. 5 day Enchantment or 7 day Freedom, definitely Freedom. 9 day Enchentment, 7 day Freedom, Enchantment would get the nod.

One thing I will add, you cannot go wrong with either ship!!!

Tim

Here's my two cents on the Enchantment. This was my first cruise i took and it was in 2005. I was very disappointed in the Enchantment. Not a lot to do on the ship, pool was always crowded sometimes couldn't find a chair, when seas got a little choppy felt it on the ship A LOT, and no organization by staff at all. All of our excursions we booked the staff wasn't organized to get us off the ship on time and it was chaos. Getting off the ship at the end was chaos too. I hope they have changed how they manage this ship since i was last on it. I am going to be on the Liberty in Jan so i can't comment on Freedom. The plus side on the Enchantment was smaller ship and ship didn't feel very crowded except around the pool.

Here is another thought. I'm also from the DC Metro area and we did the Grandeur a few years ago. Not my favorite class of ships. This spring we took the Amtrak to Port Liberty and sailed on the Explorer. Much closer to being on the Freedom (not quite, but closer) and you don't have to fly. It's actually a do-able drive as well but I was lazy.

Trying to plan a family cruise and I was hoping for Freedom but we can sail out of Baltimore and avoid airfare. I need opinions on the differences between the two ships. Will we be disappointed if we choose Enchantment? The age range that will be travelling is 21-56 if that helps.

Thank you for any opinions.

My recommendation is in reverse. I have done it.

First of all, BranandChev do not have any tiny travelers in their party, so the H2O pool & baby area on the pool deck shouldn't be a consideration BUT......it just so happens that the Enchantment DOES have the H2O zone. As a matter of fact, it had the FIRST H2O zone of any Royal Caribbean ship. They added it when they did the streeeeeeeeeeeetch in 2005, and THEN they built them into the Freedom class ships, after it was such a roaring success on the Enchantment.

It is true that there is no flowrider, ice rink or Royal Promenade, but it has a bungee trampoline, which is a blast, and very popular.

It has fantastic "sky bridges" above the pool deck, and has a great layout.

Many people are not all that fond of the Royal Promenade - it is not a universally beloved feature.

The Enchantment has a great crew, and we have had a wonderful cruise both times we have cruised on her.

As a matter of fact, the first time we did, I faced a similar choice. Enchantment sailing right here out of Philadelphia, or flying to Florida for a Voyager class ship?

I took the money that I saved on our airfares and put it into a GRAND SUITE, our first ever suite, and still had money left over!

We never regretted the choice.

BranandChev, the choice is yours, but I vote "ENCHANTMENT" this time.

:)

Edited to add ages: At the time we first sailed on the Enchantment, the kids were 17 & 19.

We did the 9 day Enchantment out of Baltimore this pass summer. It is similiar to the Granduer except larger when they added a section. I live in the DC area too so we saved on airfare.

We also did the Explorer out of NJ. We took a RCCL bus from Union Station in DC to the port. We loved the Explorer because of the ports, ice shows, and promenade.

With that said, we are going on the Freedom because we want to see a larger ship but we are not ready for the Oasis. We are going on after dry dock so I am hoping to get to the cupcake place.

We also did the Explorer out of NJ. We took a RCCL bus from Union Station in DC to the port. We loved the Explorer because of the ports, ice shows, and promenade.

Hi read52...

It seems that I'm following your footsteps! I did Enchantment in July and loved her!! I just booked the Explorer yesterday for a 5niter to Bermuda. The reason I chose ExOS was because I wanted to enlarge my scope of what's available on the various ships while they are still close enough that I don't need to fly TO THEM!! :D

I'm very interested in the RCCL BUS you mentioned @ Union Stat. in DC. I could very easily train from Manassas to UnStat to catch that bus if this is still an option...could you tell me how to get more info on this or can you offer a link/website, etc. for more info...I'd really appreciate it. BTW: IF you don't do this for me, I'll have to suffer staying with some of DH's family in Jersey and I fear I may not make it to the ship!! Help me please!!!!!:o

Thank you.:):):)

Archived