Passport Question

danim

This is probably a dumb question but here goes....

I have been reading these boards and seeing where everyone says to take a copy of your passport (not the actual one) with you whenever going ashore. Well when they say a copy do they mean just a zerox copy? Or is there and offical copy of a passport?

Thank You,

D.

One thing that is not said very often.

If you want to get your passport stamped, ask at the purser's desk. Usually if you give it to them the night before, they will get it stamped for you, and you can pick it up after the ship docks.

I have a reduced size copy that I have laminated. That way I don't have to worry about it getting wet and losing the information. Fits right inside my water wallet.

Thanks for the info on getting it stamped. I was really disappointed when we travelled in Europe that it wasn't stamped at every border. I know I could have gone inside the border station and get it stamped, but we were too busy sightseeing!

Michelle

One thing that is not said very often.

If you want to get your passport stamped, ask at the purser's desk. Usually if you give it to them the night before, they will get it stamped for you, and you can pick it up after the ship docks.

Cool! I'll have to remember that when I'm in Europe AND when I'm on my cruise :D

Hello. I am the poster boy for carrying your passport with you. Please read the following document about caribbean travel on the U.S Dept. of State web site

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1171.html

especially the part that starts out "return-caution!" Then explore the rest of the website. Lots of great info there. I guess the bottom line is what is more likely? missing the ship or having your passport lost/stolen. Both pretty unlikely. But if you don't have your original passport with you and miss the ship for any reason, you are likely going to be spending at LEAST a day or two in that country. Hopefully you will still have sufficient funds to deal with that (food, lodging, trip to embasy/consulate, and airfare) If you DO have your ORIGINAL pasport with you, you can go directly to the nearest airport and get going, maybe even catch the ship at the next nearby port. The convenience of being able to do that outweighs the inconvenience and relatively low cost of having to replace my passport if it is lost or stolen. Think about it.

Here is the Return Caution part from the website: (GOOD INFORMATION)

Returning - Caution! Make certain that you can return to the United States with the proof of citizenship that you take with you. Although some Caribbean countries may allow you to enter with only a birth certificate, U.S. Immigration requires that you document both your U.S. citizenship and identity when you reenter the United States.

The best document to prove your U.S. citizenship is a valid U.S. passport. Other documents of U.S. citizenship include an expired U.S. passport, a certified copy of your birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization , a Certificate of Citizenship , or a Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen.

To prove your identity, either a valid driver's license or a government identification card that includes a photo or a physical description is acceptable.

If you lose or have your U.S. passport stolen while overseas, report it immediately to the local police and the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. A lost or stolen birth certificate or driver's license cannot be replaced outside the United States. There are several countries, most notably Barbados, the Dominican Republic, Grenada, Haiti, and Jamaica, where airlines have consistently refused to board American citizens with insufficient proof of U.S. citizenship. The resulting delays can be inconvenient as well as expensive.

Carrying your passport around in port might not be the best idea. The likelyhood of being mugged and robbed is a possibility. I'll bet these thieves really score with an American or Canadian passport.

So, common sense should be used. If you are going on a non-ship sponsored tour that gets you back to port minutes before the ship sails, or if you are going a great distance away from port and worry about a delay (traffic, breakdowns) carrying it with you may be wise. If you are going to the beach, or shopping in town, close to the ship, leave it onboard. Treat it as a very valuable document and remember, the passport is really used to get you back into the US, not into most Caribbean countries such as cruise ships visit. A photo copy of the passport and your seapass card will identify you as a cruise customer and should get you on a plane to the next port town, or back to the US.

My take on this is is more likely that you lose or have your passport stolen more often off the ship than with it safely in your cabin safe.

Archived