Royal not the only one charging

I am so glad that you wrote that!! I hope RC reads that they need another dinning category.....like Specialty restaurants or folks who just want to eat in the Windjammer! They have a assigned table and never show up but everyone at the table has to wait before the waiter can take the order. Doesn't sound fair to me.....

It would be nice but If a person has no interest in dining in the MDR all week all they have to do is go on the first day and let the staff know so they can give their table away.

It would be nice but If a person has no interest in dining in the MDR all week all they have to do is go on the first day and let the staff know so they can give their table away.

That only works in some cases. If there is not a demand for the dining option you selected (say late seating) on that particular cruise - then there will be no one to fill the slot with. The time we released the table we learned from someone on our M&M that the seats were NOT filled with anyone else. :( Apparantly there was no one on a waitlist for that type seating......

You don't actually pay the gratuities until final payment, not when you book the cruise.

I used to think that it was fairer to my fellow passengers to select MTD instead of fixed seating, but MTD is now popular enough that one sometimes can't get it. So my choice is either to book it and then deprive somebody of the opportunity to have it (and then not use it because I don't really like the MDR experience) or to select a fixed seating and have an empty couple of seats at a table somewhere. "None of the above" is usually my choice, but RCI insists that you pick an MDR option whether you plan to dine there or not.[/quote

As to not actually paying gratuities till final payment, tell that to my credit card! :) I am on Allure of the Seas for Dec 12th 2010 and my credit card was charged in July when I chose MyTime dining.

Not sure what exact policy is, but I was charged and thus my comment. I did not pay MyTime dining gratuitiy when I booked. Initially I was required to choose a MDR time (early/late) in May 2010. It was in July when I contacted RCL to switch to MyTime dining that my credit card was charge for "prepayment" of gratuities.

You don't actually pay the gratuities until final payment, not when you book the cruise.

I used to think that it was fairer to my fellow passengers to select MTD instead of fixed seating, but MTD is now popular enough that one sometimes can't get it. So my choice is either to book it and then deprive somebody of the opportunity to have it (and then not use it because I don't really like the MDR experience) or to select a fixed seating and have an empty couple of seats at a table somewhere. "None of the above" is usually my choice, but RCI insists that you pick an MDR option whether you plan to dine there or not.[/quote

As to not actually paying gratuities till final payment, tell that to my credit card! :) I am on Allure of the Seas for Dec 12th 2010 and my credit card was charged in July when I chose MyTime dining.

Not sure what exact policy is, but I was charged and thus my comment. I did not pay MyTime dining gratuitiy when I booked. Initially I was required to choose a MDR time (early/late) in May 2010. It was in July when I contacted RCL to switch to MyTime dining that my credit card was charge for "prepayment" of gratuities.

That's unfortunate. Apparently the difference is that MTD was not selected as part of the original booking. We've selected MTD several times when booking & the gratuities have been listed on our invoice, payable at final payment. It's never been billed seperately.

That's unfortunate. Apparently the difference is that MTD was not selected as part of the original booking. We've selected MTD several times when booking & the gratuities have been listed on our invoice, payable at final payment. It's never been billed seperately.

That is still interesting to me. Why are MyTime dining gratuities paid at final payment, yet not MDR gratuities? Might call RCL to find out what I can.

It may be a migration and MyTime dining was first up to see how it went since it was a new option when implemented, thus no history of not prepaying at final payment.

How do you like MyTime Dining? This will be our first cruise with MyTime dining.

I went back and checked and I paid $68 for each of us (7 day cruise) For the 2 nights that we will be in MDR, that comes to $34/night. I do understand/agree that the gratuities also cover those waiters/assist waiters serving in other areas during the day. We plan to try 5 of the Speciality restaurants also on Allure this cruise.

Archived