This one's for the girls.

knitdiva

Bonnie, Janet, maybe one day we'll end up on the same ship:). I have a feeling that trip would be memorable.

On a different note, can I ask you if you read a lot on vacation? What kind of books do you read? If I had a whole week by myself, I'd need a bag just for the books. That's why I got myself an ereader and it's wonderful!

I love to read but never have time at home. On my 5 night solo cruise in July I read 3 books. Being able to sit back and read is part of the relaxation of the cruise.

I leave in 2 weeks for a 7 night cruise and right now I'm reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and have the next one in the series to take with me. I will probably take at least 1 other book. I am debating on an ereader - it is much easier to pack. My biggest downfall is that I share books with family and I know my mom & mom-in-law would never get an ereader.

I've been fortunate to have gone on many solo cruises, all over the world, and I've never felt unsafe in any country with the exception of Brazil. I took shore excursions in such exotic places like Vietnam, India, Cambodia and Sri Lanka and as long as I was with the ship's excursion, I never felt unsafe. There are always people who will welcome you and include you in their tour groups, so you're never really alone.

Just finished reading all the books by Karen Marie Moning. Usually not my style but she raws you into the story. Now I have to wait for the last one in the serie in January.

My mind is made up. I will be going next January on my first solo. Not firm on the date.

I read a lot in general and finished 3 books on my 5 day cruise in June. I read many different kinds of novels but my favorite is for cruises are definitely trashy ones set in exotic places. Nothing uplifting or good for me while on vacation :p

Janet

I've been cruising solo for about 12 years now. I think that cruising solo is an easy and safe way for a woman to travel. For years I took 7 night cruises--NY-Canada, Mexico, and Alaska. Last Christmas/New Years I took my longest cruise (to the PC) which was 14 nights. I have time off from work over the holidays so I look for 10+ night cruises. I've been pleasantly surprised to meet more and more solos travelling over the Christmas/New Years holidays in recent years. This year I'll be on HAL's Rotterdam to Mexico.

For the night owls--I'd try 7+ night cruises on Carnival or RCCL. Last year on HAL I hung out at the piano bar until 11:30 or so. I was definately one of the night owls on HAL. I guess for me its too many years getting up at 6am for work so I usually call it a night by midnight.

I'm a reader too. I love to read and cruise. One of the first things I do when I get on a ship is to check out 'hang out' places inside and outside to read. I love HAL libraries. I'm thinking about buying an e-reader--I really like the idea of carrying around my own personal library. Everybody, enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Faith

I've been cruising solo for about 12 years now. I think that cruising solo is an easy and safe way for a woman to travel. For years I took 7 night cruises--NY-Canada, Mexico, and Alaska. Last Christmas/New Years I took my longest cruise (to the PC) which was 14 nights. I have time off from work over the holidays so I look for 10+ night cruises. I've been pleasantly surprised to meet more and more solos travelling over the Christmas/New Years holidays in recent years. This year I'll be on HAL's Rotterdam to Mexico.

For the night owls--I'd try 7+ night cruises on Carnival or RCCL. Last year on HAL I hung out at the piano bar until 11:30 or so. I was definately one of the night owls on HAL. I guess for me its too many years getting up at 6am for work so I usually call it a night by midnight.

I'm a reader too. I love to read and cruise. One of the first things I do when I get on a ship is to check out 'hang out' places inside and outside to read. I love HAL libraries. I'm thinking about buying an e-reader--I really like the idea of carrying around my own personal library. Everybody, enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Faith

Good to know that there are other solo cruisers out there Christmas Day and New Year's Eve ! Thanks Faith ! This will be the first time my family (what's left of them), will be on the other side of the world and not together for Christmas. It will be a new experience for me. Hopefully not a bad one ! I have traveled solo many times before but never on Christmas Day and my only concern is that I will be the only lone soul on board a ship full of families only and/or couples...it is afterall a special family time...Oh well. If it gets too freaky, I'll sleep in, order room service and then find a quiet spot on deck to read too. Shouldn't be bad, afterall, the weather is better in the Caribbean than it is in Canada and I'm not at the office...what was I complaining about ? :D

Hi,

Cruised solo for the first time in July on the Solstice. I'm 37 and there were lots of people around my age. I could also go in the Elite Lounge which was a good place to meet people. Not too many singles, but I had a great table. Never felt unsafe. I loved doing what I wanted when I wanted! Did not have to feel guilty reading until late or disturbing anyone else. It was a great break. Check the Tuesday specials on RCI & Celebrity for great single rates. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Have fun & happy searching.

Sarah

That and no cooking, no cleaning, no beds to make:D Enjoy!

Thanks and you're right ! Also, no need to get up early to put the Christmas turkey in the oven and getting myself in a dither trying to organize and prepare a big festive dinner (my job until recently). Things look better the more I think about it !:D

Besides "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and Karen Marie Moning, does anyone have a list of good books you can recommend? I just finished reading Ken Follet's "World without End" and I found it hard to slog through. I'd like something I can read and people-watch at the same time. A good mystery novel maybe?

Thanks Sarah,

If I knew there would be people my age, I would go with Celebrity. I've always wanted to try them.

Hi:) I am 52 and have been sailing Celebrity for 7 years now. Are you

in your 40s?

I just returned home from my 26th cruise with them (all solo but 2)

and now I am looking to book again in Dec/Jan:D

You will find all ages on the ship.....give it a try:)

Wimsiecruise, anything by Harlan Coben, Janet Evanovich, James Patterson, Kay Hooper will keep busy reading.

LoisR, I'm 41. You think the Celebrity demographics would fit? I know there is people of all ages on every cruise but I want to at least be able to do some people watching:D

[quote name='knitdiva']Wimsiecruise, anything by Harlan Coben, Janet Evanovich, James Patterson, Kay Hooper will keep busy reading.

LoisR, I'm 41. You think the Celebrity demographics would fit? I know there is people of all ages on every cruise but I want to at least be able to do some people watching:D[/quote]

Hi:) Well, I was sailing them when I was 45 and have never looked back.
Was I on the younger side? Never thought about it but probably so.
I just know they are my cruiseline of choice. Will you be in the younger
demographic? Yes, probably. If you want strictly 30s-50s? Nope, there
are retirees on board and some sailings have 20s too;)
You are asking me if I think you would fit? I don't know you....Celebrity
doesn't have rock climbing walls or skating rinks. If that is your type
of activity? Then I would pick Royal...but if you want something more
laid back? They have the Glass Blowing show and Chef's competition
too.....I love sailing with them:) And most of all I sail with them often
enough to see many of the same crew and staff quite often and I feel
very welcomed and its like "I have come home again".....great service
and food are all part of what makes its a wonderful experience for me:)

Well I'm not rock climbing, I can ice skate but I can't stop. I enjoy a bit of night life but not until the wee hours. Don't need the belly flop contest either:eek:. Maybe less party more upscale. Does that sound about right Lois?
Thanks!

I'm a big reader on cruises. Carl Haissen is fun--he writes these insane humor/crime fiction novels about Florida. I loved sitting on one of the wooden benches or lounge chairs on HAL's promenade deck laughing my a$$ off. One of his recent novels is 'Skinny Dip' and has its opening chapters on a luxury cruise ship.
I usually take 2 or 3 novels and since I'm a slow reader I never finish everything. One big plus about HAL if you are a reader--they have wonderful libraries. Faith

[quote name='knitdiva']Well I'm not rock climbing, I can ice skate but I can't stop. I enjoy a bit of night life but not until the wee hours. Don't need the belly flop contest either:eek:. Maybe less party more upscale. Does that sound about right Lois?
Thanks![/quote]

To me that's pretty close to X, except for the nightlife which I did find lacking for a younger crowd. It was there many nights ... just weren't many people in there enjoying it with me. But I was on X's small, older ship so maybe nightlife is better on the newer ships???

I haven't cruised Celebrity yet - but, I will in February. I'm very much looking forward to it. As far as age, I've got a decade on you. :)

I've only been on 4 cruises (all 7 day cruises). Three solo and the last one I took my sister. Three on Princess and one on Holland America.

I prefer late-traditional dining and I always find enough to do after dinner - even on HAL which is known for an older crowd and early nights. I ended up past 1am on most nights and I found plenty to do.

My last cruise (in Feb10) was my first to the Caribbean. I read Michael Crichton's "Pirate Latitudes" - I love to read something on vacation that is set in the locale where I'm visiting. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read.

[quote name='knitdiva']Well I'm not rock climbing, I can ice skate but I can't stop. I enjoy a bit of night life but not until the wee hours. Don't need the belly flop contest either:eek:. Maybe less party more upscale. Does that sound about right Lois?
Thanks![/quote]

Hi,:) it sounds about right to me;)...now there are folks who feel there
is not enough to do at night but I am not in that category. The main
reason? I don't care about always keeping busy. I can sit and talk
to the bartender and am fine with that:)

[quote name='TessM']I haven't cruised Celebrity yet - but, I will in February. I'm very much looking forward to it. As far as age, I've got a decade on you. :)

I've only been on 4 cruises (all 7 day cruises). Three solo and the last one I took my sister. Three on Princess and one on Holland America.

I prefer late-traditional dining and I always find enough to do after dinner - even on HAL which is known for an older crowd and early nights. I ended up past 1am on most nights and I found plenty to do.

My last cruise (in Feb10) was my first to the Caribbean. I read Michael Crichton's "Pirate Latitudes" - I love to read something on vacation that is set in the locale where I'm visiting. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read.[/quote]

Hi Tess,:) what cruise are you taking in February?

[quote name='Lois R']Hi Tess,:) what cruise are you taking in February?[/quote]

Lois, I'm on the Summit 7night RT out of San Juan -St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados.

I originally wanted the 11night on the Millie but then I set my heart on going to Barcelona in May so I cut back my vacation in Feb.

As much as I was looking forward to an 11-night cruise, I can't get too upset since I still get to the warm Caribbean in Feb and a couple months later I'll be in the Mediterranean in May - seven days in Barcelona and another five on an RCCL cruise to Cannes/Florence/Rome.

[quote name='Faith77']I'm a big reader on cruises. Carl Haissen is fun--he writes these insane humor/crime fiction novels about Florida. I loved sitting on one of the wooden benches or lounge chairs on HAL's promenade deck laughing my a$$ off. One of his recent novels is 'Skinny Dip' and has its opening chapters on a luxury cruise ship.
I usually take 2 or 3 novels and since I'm a slow reader I never finish everything. One big plus about HAL if you are a reader--they have wonderful libraries. Faith[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on reading material Faith, Tess M and Lois R..I've read Janet Evanovich's books but I'll have to try Carl Haissen (love insane humor) !

As for Tess M, I've read a lot of your posts and admire the fact that you're around my age (I think, I'm a young 67), but you still put yourself out there, and have your sailing adventures ! I Love that ! I hope to be able to completely retire soon (I work 3 days a week just to pay for my lifestyle, which I won't give up), and then I can cruise twice a year just like you!:)

I cruised on both HAL and Celebrity and loved both cruiselines. This time I'm trying out Carnival because the 8-day Holiday and Itinerary works for me! I hope I like Carnival...only time will tell.

Archived