This one's for the girls.

knitdiva

[quote name='wimsiecruise']Oops, Tess, I just saw on your profile that you are a whole lot younger than me! Sawwy !

That doesn't lessen my admiration...I think it's great you travel as much as you do (color me jealous)! :)[/quote]

It's ok. lol.

You live in Vancouver? What a beautiful city and a wonderful place to live.

I live in Bellingham and feel fortunate to live in a small city with easy access to Vancouver and Seattle -- two amazingly beautiful cities.

[quote name='knitdiva']This thread has got me thinking! Maybe we should go with a ''This one's for the girls'' cruise! Or maybe I've just had too much wine making dinner;)[/quote]

Good idea ! Now all we need to do is find a cruiseline and a timeline we can all agree on :D Lois R is a fixture on Celebrity (I think)? So it would have to be a Celebrity cruise. My one cruise on Celebrity was eventful because of extremely bad weather, but the X-Horizon was a beautiful ship and the food was wonderful...so I'm game !

Tess - you're practically a next door neighbour ! Yes Vancouver is beautiful and we've had a great summer, but right now it's raining and miserable..so I'm really looking forward to the Caribbean in December !:)

Hey friends, I need to share something with you. Here's a copy of a post I made on the Carnival board to a lady whose husband told her he is divorcing her a few weeks before their cruise.(She has decided to go on her own.)
Comments and suggestions are welcome since I don't know what to think anymore!

[I]''SoonerOne go and enjoy yourself! I have a similar story but also different in a few ways. A while back my husband told me that I didn't do it anymore for him and he knew he didn't do it anymore for me but that it was OK and we could keep going like this forever:eek:. He said he would never be the one to leave because of our son. Basically,I have been traded for celibacy. He does not have anyone else that I know of. I feel like I'm dead at 41! And I'm not unattractive (well I don't think I am...yet; I soon will if this situation continues), I'm educated, financially independant. What's wrong with this picture? I'm in my own kind of prison. Still, I'm going on the Dream with friends and family in November and probably on my first solo cruise in January. I need the escape; I need to exist as a woman. Now it's late, not sure I'm making sense anymore. Sorry for rambling.

Go on your cruise, celebrate your life, yourself as a person.

"Being a woman is difficult, because it consists principally of dealing with men." -- Joseph Conrad

"Blessed am I as a woman to live and love in such a beautiful temple." -- Sarah Ban Breathnach ''[/I]

[quote name='knitdiva']Hey friends, I need to share something with you. Here's a copy of a post I made on the Carnival board to a lady whose husband told her he is divorcing her a few weeks before their cruise.(She has decided to go on her own.)
Comments and suggestions are welcome since I don't know what to think anymore!

[I]''SoonerOne go and enjoy yourself! I have a similar story but also different in a few ways. A while back my husband told me that I didn't do it anymore for him and he knew he didn't do it anymore for me but that it was OK and we could keep going like this forever:eek:. He said he would never be the one to leave because of our son. Basically,I have been traded for celibacy. He does not have anyone else that I know of. I feel like I'm dead at 41! And I'm not unattractive (well I don't think I am...yet; I soon will if this situation continues), I'm educated, financially independant. What's wrong with this picture? I'm in my own kind of prison. Still, I'm going on the Dream with friends and family in November and probably on my first solo cruise in January. I need the escape; I need to exist as a woman. Now it's late, not sure I'm making sense anymore. Sorry for rambling.[/I]

[I]Go on your cruise, celebrate your life, yourself as a person.[/I]

[I]"Being a woman is difficult, because it consists principally of dealing with men." -- Joseph Conrad[/I]

[I]"Blessed am I as a woman to live and love in such a beautiful temple." -- Sarah Ban Breathnach ''[/I][/quote]

Hi,....you said you don't know what to think anymore?:confused: Sounds
like that gal has some personal problems at home. I don't mean
to sound cold but what is there for you to think about? We all have
things that happen in our lives. I wish the person the best of luck
but her circumstance has no affect how I spend my hard earned
money on vacation.

[quote name='wimsiecruise']Good idea ! Now all we need to do is find a cruiseline and a timeline we can all agree on :D Lois R is a fixture on Celebrity (I think)? So it would have to be a Celebrity cruise. My one cruise on Celebrity was eventful because of extremely bad weather, but the X-Horizon was a beautiful ship and the food was wonderful...so I'm game !

Tess - you're practically a next door neighbour ! Yes Vancouver is beautiful and we've had a great summer, but right now it's raining and miserable..so I'm really looking forward to the Caribbean in December !:)[/quote]

Hi:) thanks for wanting to include me but ya'll do whatever you
want to do;).....Right now I am not inclinced to go with a group
but I do appreciate the thought.:)
But you are correct about the Cruiseline....it is Celebrity for me:)

I just got back from my 1st solo cruise. I had the BEST time!! At dinner I had 2 other solo cruisers with me (one who's been married a long time, but husband didn't want to go - so she went solo). The people were so nice!! I did the cruise excursions. Did trivia, games, etc. I really never felt alone. Exchanged e-mail addresses with my tablemates. I had a better time than on trips with friends (there was no drama or complaining). I say just do it!!!

[quote name='knitdiva']Wimsiecruise, anything by Harlan Coben, Janet Evanovich, James Patterson, Kay Hooper will keep busy reading.

LoisR, I'm 41. You think the Celebrity demographics would fit? I know there is people of all ages on every cruise but I want to at least be able to do some people watching:D[/quote]

I was 41 when I went on my first Celebrity cruise last year on the Summit. It was a pretty wide mix of ages on the "younger side" late 20's to early thirties, but buy and large it was 40's to 60's with some older as well. It was very different from my awful Princess cruise which was almost entirely mid 70's and up. Of course every sailing will be different. And I in no way am implying that age is a problem, I talk to people of all ages every day at work and have no issues with any group. Loved my Celebrity cruise and hope to do another next year.

Just wanted to offer you some support. I'm pushing 60 and have had my struggles with a marriage and LTR gone bad. But I had no children so maybe it was a bit easier to end things.
I think that going on a cruise solo is a great way to stretch yourself and gain independence. Whatever happens in your future it will be good for you to develop a strong independent streak. Faith

[quote name='jcmonogram']I just got back from my 1st solo cruise. I had the BEST time!! At dinner I had 2 other solo cruisers with me (one who's been married a long time, but husband didn't want to go - so she went solo). The people were so nice!! I did the cruise excursions. Did trivia, games, etc. I really never felt alone. Exchanged e-mail addresses with my tablemates. I had a better time than on trips with friends (there was no drama or complaining). I say just do it!!![/quote]

Glad you had a great trip ! I think you're right, cruising solo is much better than having to deal with "drama and complaining " from your DH or BFFs ..LOL

Lois R, I'm not sure the idea was to travel as a group, but even if it is, I'm not opposed to that. I think it was intended as a fun thing to know a group on board? We wouldn't have to be joined at the hip. I gather from most solos that they are quite happy to do their own thing, and most of the time, me too. My concern is my forthcoming trip on ATD and with strangers who turn out to be less that welcoming. That would be a little stressful, so it would be fun to have a group on board we can join for dinners, or cocktails. :) Anyway, I still admire your spirit of adventure ...I used to be that way when I was younger...

[quote name='wimsiecruise']Glad you had a great trip ! I think you're right, cruising solo is much better than having to deal with "drama and complaining " from your DH or BFFs ..LOL

Lois R, I'm not sure the idea was to travel as a group, but even if it is, I'm not opposed to that. I think it was intended as a fun thing to know a group on board? We wouldn't have to be joined at the hip. I gather from most solos that they are quite happy to do their own thing, and most of the time, me too. My concern is my forthcoming trip on ATD and with strangers who turn out to be less that welcoming. That would be a little stressful, so it would be fun to have a group on board we can join for dinners, or cocktails. :) Anyway, I still admire your spirit of adventure ...I used to be that way when I was younger...[/quote]

Thank you.:) Yes, it can be nice to know others on board.
As for my spirit of adventure? I pass that on to Darcie;) she is
able to sail all over the world solo...she is my idol:)

I am 52 so not really that young....but anyway, I have nobody to
cruise with and staying home? Its not an option for me. Going solo
beats staying home any day of the week:D

Travellin Granny talked me into it:
All of my cruises, except for one have been solo, per se. My very first, I did not know a soul. Did ship sponsored excursions, took part in activities, relaxed and met alot of interesting people. I also did an Alaskan Cruise completely solo, and had one of the best times of my life....inspiring and relaxing.

You can always check the Roll Calls boards for the sailing you are going on and 'get to know' people before you go.

Now, as far as I am concerned, getting hooked up with my first CC Group cruise was one on the best things I have ever done. I am free to do my own activities, partake in the different group activities/parties, or just sit and chat with different members....as no one is a stranger. I just got of the Conquest - a 7 day cruise to Cozumel! 2 of 3 ports cancelled due to ts Nicole. Such are the breaks during hurricane season, lower prices = higher risk of missing ports or diversions. But, I digress. The point was, in spite of the weather, and the grumbling around us, we had an absolute blast!!!!! I invite you to read the review of our cruise at :
[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1286576[/url]

Taking a cruise with a group is an awesome experience. You can do as much or as little as you want, every corner you turn, it seems there is a familiar face, and you can meet some really great people. :D

[quote name='knitdiva']To all of you women who have cruised solo, tell me about your experience. Did you feel safe? Did you enjoy yourself? Convince me to take the plunge!
Lately, my favorite fantasy involves a cruise ship, sunshine, good wine, great books, a few massages and recharging my batteries. My work involves taking care of everybody else can you tell? :rolleyes:

I'm not worried about dining alone nor spending time alone. Yes I'll seat by myself drinking my expensive wine if nobody wants to join me :D.
Kidding aside, making new friends would be nice.

OK, talk me into it![/QUOTE]

[quote name='knitdiva']To all of you women who have cruised solo, tell me about your experience. Did you feel safe? Did you enjoy yourself? Convince me to take the plunge!
Lately, my favorite fantasy involves a cruise ship, sunshine, good wine, great books, a few massages and recharging my batteries. My work involves taking care of everybody else can you tell? :rolleyes:

I'm not worried about dining alone nor spending time alone. Yes I'll seat by myself drinking my expensive wine if nobody wants to join me :D.
Kidding aside, making new friends would be nice.

OK, talk me into it![/quote]
Hi knitdiva
I'll be doing my 10th solo cruise in a few weeks and really looking forward to it. It is the safest kind of holiday for you to do on your own. Sometimes I eat on my own, but often I'm seated with other solo travellers and we usually have a great time. I also find it much easier to strile up a conversation in a bar onboard than I do on land.

I actually prefer to cruise solo, so that I can do what I want when I want without impacting anyone else's plans. if I want to spend a lazy day onboard alternating between the sun loungers by the pool, the dining room, the spa and doin some reading in the coffee shop, i acn do that without having to worry about whether I should have gone ashore.

It is a great experience and I definitely recommend it.

Archived