This one's for the girls.

knitdiva

To all of you women who have cruised solo, tell me about your experience. Did you feel safe? Did you enjoy yourself? Convince me to take the plunge!

Lately, my favorite fantasy involves a cruise ship, sunshine, good wine, great books, a few massages and recharging my batteries. My work involves taking care of everybody else can you tell? :rolleyes:

I'm not worried about dining alone nor spending time alone. Yes I'll seat by myself drinking my expensive wine if nobody wants to join me :D.

Kidding aside, making new friends would be nice.

OK, talk me into it!

OMG! You sound like the perfect candidate for solo cruising. You're not afraid to spend time alone or eat alone. You sound confident & ready for a relaxing cruise vacation.

I have been on 3 solos & am getting ready to go on a 21-night solo in 2 weeks. I have NEVER felt unsafe, especially on the ship. Quite the opposite, I have always felt very safe. I am a night owl & felt comfortable even on nights when I stayed up until 3 AM. I am hestitant to venture too far by myself in the more exotic ports coming up but I've "met" some great people on my roll calls & plan on MAYBE hooking up w/ them sometimes in port ... or maybe not (I don't care what happens, actually). And that's what's so great about solo cruising ... just going with the flow & not having to meet anyone else's expectations or wishes ... it's all about YOU!

Obviously, I had a good time otherwise I wouldn't be going on a 3-week solo. The worst thing about solo cruising is having to return to your "normal" life. I don't know your family situation but I am married & have 4 boys. I always have a hard time coming home from a cruise but returning home after a solo is VERY hard for me. Just as starting out the cruise is such a shift in lifestyle, so is coming home.

Hi Bonnie!

Thank you for the vote of confidence! Leaving your 4 boys! I admire you! I have a 6 year old son. He does not like his mom leaving him! But I find myself needing to once a year! For the last 2 years I have gone away for a week per year. Each time I wanted to go on my own but decided to invite someone both times. We always had a good time. On both occasions I came back a better mom since I was able to rest (and get in touch with myself (wow that sounds cliché).

Now I'm itching (almost litteraly!) to go alone. My friends tell me they could never leave their kids (as in how can she do that to he son).

How do you handle the critics? Do you fly in the day before your cruise? Do you tend to spend time with other people or by yourself?

Did you feel safe?

Absolutely and completely safe. I've cruised Alaska/Mexican Riveria/Caribbean and never experienced any situation where I felt unsafe.

And, although you didn't ask, not only did I feel safe, but I felt completely comfortable. There is no where on any of the ships I've been on that I didn't feel comfortable going into alone. --btw...I only go in public areas, no private cabins or staff quarters for me.

Did you enjoy yourself?

Absolutely. I only wish I had discovered cruising earlier. If I didn't like it I wouldn't continue to do it. And, that includes trying to decide each year how much budget $$ and vacation days I can devote to solo cruising.

I live alone and I don't have to take care of anyone except me and my little dog Grace but I still enjoy being pampered and getting away from the stresses of work.

Convince me to take the plunge!

Lately, my favorite fantasy involves a cruise ship, sunshine, good wine, great books, a few massages and recharging my batteries. My work involves taking care of everybody else can you tell? :rolleyes:

I'm not worried about dining alone nor spending time alone. Yes I'll seat by myself drinking my expensive wine if nobody wants to join me :D.

OK, talk me into it!

Ok, I love spending other peoples money. :p:p Seriously, you sound a lot like many of the other gals on this board. As you can tell, we all love to cruise solo. Our reasons might be different and what we want from a cruise might be slightly different but we all love it.

In terms of your fantasy -

cruise ship - check

sunshine - probable, but not guaranteed (no matter where you vacation)

great books - check (but you might not end up reading as much as you thought)

few massages - check (PLUS, facials, body scrubs, wraps, aromatherapy, reflexology, etc)

recharging your batteries - check

AND

expensive wines - check (they will definitely sell you expensive wine if you that's what you want - and also some very nice reasonably priced wines)

drinking by yourself - check (you can be by yourself or join in with others)

From what I can gather about you in this short post, I would guess that you would really enjoy yourself. And, you would never be alone unless that's what you wanted.

--Consider cruising solo. If you didn't take a solo cruise, what would you do on your vacation? How much would you spend? Take one cruise and see how it goes. Solo cruising might not be for everyone, but it might be perfect for you.

Hi TessM,

After reading your post I want to go now!:D

I have been on 8 cruises in the last 10 years and I know I enjoy cruising the most. When I do a land based vacation, I either do WDW or visit friends. I'm lucky enough to know people from many different parts of the Canada, US and Europe (I have yet to make it to Europe...In the next 2 years I will).

The expensive wine is just a treat to myself from myself!:D

Don't I sound egoitistical tonight!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, it is wonderful to hear from like minded people.

To all of you women who have cruised solo, tell me about your experience. Did you feel safe? Did you enjoy yourself? Convince me to take the plunge!

OK, talk me into it!

Hi,:) sailing solo is the only way I cruise:D. If you look at my signature

you will see the dates go back to 2003 and all of them are solo

except 2.

Safe? I feel totally safe on the ship. I LOVE doing what I want,

whenever I want and I don't have to concern myself with anyone

else or what they want.

I have lived on my own for many, many years and sailing solo is

a piece of cake for me.

The staff/crew are usually outstanding and friendly. The service is

wonderful and yes, meeting other people (for me anyway) is very

easy too.

I think I have 26 cruises now and looking for another one in Dec or

January (solo of course) LOL.

Hope you have a great time:)

Hi - I'll add my 2 cents. I've been on 28 cruises and just did my 1st solo in July, just booked another one for November. Funny thing is I have a cruise in 2 weeks with a friend and I think I'm more excited about the solo one:D.

I also have a stressful homelife and think cruising is the most relaxing vacation for me. My MIL has been ill and lives with us - just recently my step daughter and 1yr old granddaughter moved in - can you say full house:).

When I cruise I can shut my mind off to all the problems at home. I think I read 3 books on my 5 day cruise in July. I went to all the shows - even the ones I wasn't sure I would like. I usually cruise with family or a girlfriend - my hubby will go every few years, but he just doesn't enjoy it (crazy man). Even when I cruise with others we aren't joined at the hip so I wasn't too worried about being alone. My biggest concern was dinner - and it worked out fine. There was one night where I was the only one at the table and felt uncomfortable for about 5 minutes then I was fine - the service was great though. I was seated with 2 couples and maybe because they were young (I'm 51) they didn't think anything about me traveling solo. It was funny - when I would talk to others around my age they would say "I'd love to cruise solo" but they always had reasons not to.

Hope you decide to try solo cruising, I think you will have a great time. If you're a little worried try a 4 or 5 night cruise first. My July cruise was 5 nights and it was perfect. My Nov one is only 4 nights but was a great deal. That's the only bad part about going solo, the $$. But I found great deals just by looking around on mine. I think I only paid 140% in July and my Nov cruise was only 125% single supplement.

Sorry to ramble........

I have a 6 year old son. He does not like his mom leaving him! But I find myself needing to once a year!

How do you handle the critics? Do you fly in the day before your cruise? Do you tend to spend time with other people or by yourself?

My 3rd son, now 12, also has a hard time when I leave. But he's fine after a few days.

So far I haven't had any vocal critics. They might be thinking things to themselves or talking to each other but no one has said anything to me yet. Honestly, I'm the type who doesn't really care if I have critics. I'm an adult & I'll do what I want/need as long as I don't hurt anyone. Even though I have a big down period when I first get home, I do appreciate my family & see them in a different light after my solos.

All my solos have been from a port I can drive to. It's just a few hours away. I drive up there the day of the cruise, although for my Jan solo I had a hotel room reserved in case a snow storm came along ... but it didn't & I canceled my reservation. I'm terrified to fly so I can't do anything too exotic - solo or w/ someone - unfortunately.

I spend most of my time alone by choice. But there's no lack of conversation if I want it. Often I ate w/ someone in the buffet at lunch because tables were full & another party would accept me to sit w/ them. The chairs on deck are close together & you usually strike up a conversation. You run into people from your roll call all the time & stop & talk. I found my Nov solo more personable then my Jan solo. The waves were huge on my 2nd & I was more seasick so didn't feel as sociable. But I ran into people from my roll call on the ship AND in ports a lot on the 1st solo ... it was fun.

I can say that the other poster's here are sooo right. Safety is not an issue as long as you "mind yourself". Finding people to talk to is nooo problem when you want to. I can not say that I have any critic's onboard (that I know of), why they always say "how brave". The critic's that I have found are the one's here at home and quite frankly, I do not care what they think or have to say.

Cruising alone has all of the advantage's of a great time. If I want to stay in the spa area for 3 hours, then I do it. If I want dinner in my cabin, then I do it. The port's are the area in which I try to stay in the safe zone.

A perfect day going solo is a sea day. Have coffee delivered early. Go for a brisk walk. Go for breakfast with bathing suit in tow. Enjoy the spa. When I get back the cabin has steward has been there and I see that wonderful bed waiting for me. A LONG nap... It's midday by then and I shower and go out and make small talk. Take in some fine wine, have some dinner and see the show or go back to the spa. By then my bed is made up again very nicely and I pop a DVD in and with the gentle rock of the boat, I go off to dream land once again.

Then... whatever the next day brings~ I do it all over again, except I do go on shore and check things out, in my time.

GEEZ! I gotta check into booking another solo! February would be nice!

OP~ go for it! I'm glad that I have twice. First time 9 nights, second time 14 nights. Oh how I envy Bonnie in VA going on her 21 nighter!!! Sounds like heaven!:)

Living up north in Canada I have to fly to catch a cruise. That means overnight in a hotel. Don't want to miss the cruise!:D

Security wise the overnight hotel concerns me the most.

The critics I've heard are mostly about leaving my son (in his house with his father and my mother!) not about travelling solo.

Living up north in Canada I have to fly to catch a cruise. That means overnight in a hotel. Don't want to miss the cruise!:D

The critics I've heard are mostly about leaving my son (in his house with his father and my mother!) not about travelling solo.

When I did my July cruise I did drive to Ft Lauderdale the day prior to sailing. I just stayed at a reputable hotel hear the port. I never felt unsafe - but I didn't really go out after dark either. Not that I wouldn't - but it was July and I had dinner and was back in my room before dark. Actually I was more concerned about driving 5 hrs alone than staying in the hotel. In a previous job I traveled some for work and was usually alone so that probably helped.

I totally understand about leaving your child - but as long as your family is OK with it I don't really worry about what others think.

:)I too have travelled solo and I live in Canada:cool:, and travel day prior.

First of all as to travelling the day prior I have had no problems...However I have either stayed at a hotel that has an in house restaurant so that I do not have to go looking for food OR one that has a restuarant next door. I am leaving on a cruise in 2 weeks on the Epic and I am staying at a large hotel near MIA airport with shuttle and restaurant. I feel completely safe. A person has to beaware that there are safety issues everywhere even your home town, so just do not put yourself into a situation where you could have a problem.

As far as cruising Solo I have found it to be a very nice way to cruise and have met some very nice and interesting people and when I have wanted my own space I have that too. It is all a matter of how comfortable your are in spending time with yourself. As for port days you can book a tour with the ship and then are you sure that you are safe. Or the best is to stay on the ship especially if you have been to that port prior and have use of the pool or other areas without the crowds.. basically just to enjoy all that the ship has to offer.

I just love cruising so whether it is with family or friends or Solo it is a great holiday.

I hope this helps you my fellow canadian. Happy cruising.;)

Hi gsalmon,

You're in Montreal, I'm on the south shore. Small world!

Thanks for the advice!

Don't mind flying on my own. A few years ago I had a boyfriend who lived in the US and flew back and forth for a while.

So I'm looking at january or february 2011 (before spring break:eek:) for my first solo. Any suggestion? I've been on Carnival, NCL and RCCL. I'm going shopping for a cruise girls:D:D:D

Hi Knitdiva (neighbour)

Scary how small the world can be actually!!!!!!

I have only been Solo with NCL due to the fact that they seem to have more entertainment and restaurant options.

Carnival does not interest me really and RCCL not sure.

I think it is an individual choice really as far as cruise line goes.

I have been on Holland America with friends and love it...

Princes is ok we just happened to get a crew that was not great.

The problem with Solo cruises are the Supplement $$$ so I try to find a deal and they are out there.

I am doing my first solo cruise later this month and although a bit nervous at the idea at first..now I think I would be upset if someone said they wanted to join me. I still have a few vaca days, husband can't get off work so off I go. An opportunity to do different stuff than I usually do when we cruise together..can't wait

My last cruise was solo (Celebrity Horizon...dunno if it's still in service).. and I felt safer than on most land vacations. I was so "at home" on board that I would go into one of the bars and order a pre-dinner drink and think nothing of sitting on a bar stool, sipping a drink on my own. I would not do that at home (go to a bar alone). I'm traveling Carnival Livberty, a much bigger ship than Celebrity Horizon and the only niggling fear I have for this solo cruise is that, due to the ship's size, It will be like living in New York City...hard to get to know anyone. That's why Cruise Critic's Roll Call is a good idea..that's a perfect way to get to know some people onboard before embarkation. Even though "stuff happens" onboard, it's not likely to happen to you if you keep to some sensible guidelines, for example: a) never leave your drink unattended; (b) don't mess around with the crew, they're off limits; © book your shore excursions from the ship unless you are going with people you know (and even then, be alert to your surroundings ; (d) don't drink so much at a port-of-call that you can't remember what time you have to be back onboard :D

As for my fellow Canuck who posted in here that there was more to be afraid of at the pre-cruise hotel...I agree. I will still put a chair under the doorknob at the hotel (years of paranoia taught me to be careful of my belongings), and I wouldn't go out after dark in Miami or Ft Lauderdale, even though I've been to both places when I was younger and I know those cities well..the world has changed a lot since then. Lastly, be careful,but not to the point that you miss out on all the fun and new experiences. :)

I did my first solo cruise in June of this year. I felt very safe aboard the ship and on the tours that I booked. I stayed in public areas and with the tour group. I was not lonely and did not tire of my own company. I felt great after my vacation. Traveling to Canada was not a big deal for me I admit because I am Canadian currently living in Michigan. I was born in Montreal with several years spent in the Toronto area. But sailing out of New York was a hoot and had the opportunity to visit the Maritime provinces for the first time.

I have my second one booked in Jan 2011. I am traveling out of Fort Lauderdale on Jan 23 for a 6 day on the Carnival Freedom. If you are interested in that cruise, I would certainly welcome you as a fellow solo cruiser. I also am flying in a day early. I decided that I would spend an extra 20 bucks and stay at a hotel that I am familiar and comfortable with. In my case, the Hampton Inn vs the Days Inn. I will be booking tours with Carnival (yes, I know that they are expensive) for my safely and will be especially aware of my surroundings in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands.

The bottom line is, you won't know till you try it. But I bet you that once you try it, you will be hooked right along with the rest of us.

Janet :)

OK,

I'm looking into NCL Epic in January or RCCL Allure in February. Maybe Carnival. What a tough life I have! :D

How about Celebrity?

All my solos will have been on Celebrity. The crew & service is awesome! With that said, it is a line designed for a more mature crowd. It is much more quiet than Carnival or RCCL ... or even NCL for that matter. Just something to think about.

Bonnie, how mature is the crowd on Celebrity? I'm 41.

I'm 42 & I'd guess the average age on my cruises was in the 60s. It wasn't so bad, it's just that I am a night owl & like to go to the dance place but it was pretty darn quiet at night on the ship ... & not many in the disco.

Night owl here also! Even at home I don't go to bed before 1 or 2 am. Mind you theses days it's for reading not dancing.

Me three, I normally work a midnight shift in a hospital so staying up till at least 2 am is normal for me. I am 53, did not feel that the crowd on either Carnival or RCCL was too young for me to enjoy myself. On my previous cruise my late night activities were split between enjoying the music at the different locations on the ship, watching the late night comedy show and reading in my cabin. There were always choices.

Janet

Me three, I normally work a midnight shift in a hospital so staying up till at least 2 am is normal for me. I am 53, did not feel that the crowd on either Carnival or RCCL was too young for me to enjoy myself. On my previous cruise my late night activities were split between enjoying the music at the different locations on the ship, watching the late night comedy show and reading in my cabin. There were always choices.

Janet

I am not trying to bash Celebrity because I did love my cruises & would recommend them highly to anyone who just wants a relaxing, pampering vacation ... & I'm going on this next solo on the same ship. But I did miss having multiple (ar any!) late-night options. The disco was open but they had theme nights early in the cruise ... 50s, 60s, 70s (or whatever) & I wasn't intersted in that. Then, on the nights w/out themes, there weren't many people in there. I guess it depends on when you go, too. But I do feel it's catered to a more mature crowd. Maybe the larger, newer X ships have a different feel - I don't know. I just wanted to warn you about that fact w/ X.

Bonnie, Janet, maybe one day we'll end up on the same ship:). I have a feeling that trip would be memorable.

On a different note, can I ask you if you read a lot on vacation? What kind of books do you read? If I had a whole week by myself, I'd need a bag just for the books. That's why I got myself an ereader and it's wonderful!

Archived