Kindle Question

Live4cruises

I've been looking at them for a while, and haven't bought. Too many of my favorite authors are unavailable, and the selection of non-fiction is pitiful. Please note: I'm looking from Canada, but I couldn't find what I wanted on international searches, either. I'm waiting until I can get more of what I want before I commit.

It's not the authors who set the price. It is the publishers. Only the big name authors can name top dollar and that is because the publisher knows that they will most likely get their money back.
Note that I said "authors / publishers" meaning that I don't give a hoot weather it's the author OR the publisher making their decision to price gouge I will not buy their book as long as it's so grossly overpriced. For me, there are just too many free & reasonably priced books I enjoy reading. I refuse to support the price gougers.:) Of course, to each his own.

Don't you have to subscribe to a monthly data plan with the 3G?

No you do not. Amazon has a deal worked out for their device to work on the AT&T 3G network. I believe the early generation was designed to work through a Sprint network. I understand that a small data fee is built into the price of Kindle books.

I've been looking at them for a while, and haven't bought. Too many of my favorite authors are unavailable, and the selection of non-fiction is pitiful. Please note: I'm looking from Canada, but I couldn't find what I wanted on international searches, either. I'm waiting until I can get more of what I want before I commit.

I received my Kindle just over a week ago and I love it. I'm an Aussie so also don't get access to some of the latest books by authors I generally read but I'm finding that I'm being introduced to a lot of new indie authors I wouldn't normally come across and I'm really enjoying them! It's really broadening my reading habits, mainly due to the fact that there are free books on offer each day and you can also sample the first 2-3 chapters of books for purchase - much better than just reading the back cover!

You can browse, but it's not really quick, or my first choice.

I was thinking of getting one to use as an e-reader (I've been reading e books since they've been out, on my PC) but also as a way to check email. I don't like the small screen of the ipod touch and can't really warrant a netbook just to check email as I already have a 13" macbook.

Does anyone have some good knowedge as how this works for something like gmail?

....Does anyone have some good knowedge as how this works for something like gmail?

After reading bra1child's post on the previous page, I checked out the Kindle 3 user guide for web browsing then tried it with my wife's new K3. It is definitely doable and with practice wouldn't be too bad but not my go-to e-mail device when better "free" options were available using a PC. Once you get using the screen orientation & cursor controls down, using the Kindle keyboard is still a little awkward, IMHO. What appeals to me was the poster mentioning being able to use the 3G feature on her cruise without having to buy internet time or pay cell charges. I am now considering a 3G + Wi-Fi Kindle 3 which is $50 more than my wife's Wi-Fi only version cost with the thought of taking it on our cruises for occasional web browsing & e-mail in additon to reading books. BTW, I LOVE my iPod Touch with Kindle software for reading books! When I first heard of reading books on an iPod, I dismissed the idea.... thinking who would want to read on the 3.5" screen? Well, once I actually tried it, I quickly changed my mind. The backlit screen & adjustable font size makes reading a pleasure.... YMMV.:)

Click here for Kindle 3 User Guide PDF you can read and save. I believe the section on Web Browsing begins on page 117.

Wife and I are beach people. It's very difficult to see the IPAD on a beach in full sunlight.

Both the Nook and the Kindle work very well at the beach. Read "beach" as screaming white sunlight.

My daughter has a Nook so I got to play with that one a lot.

Wife and I will be getting Nooks. Don't need the 3g. I'll just D/L at home and read on the boat or beach. Daughter and wife can swap books to their hearts content.

I checked with my library and they're planning on starting up lending of E-Books. It would be a 2 week loan.

We sort of ran out of shelf space.

The big thing for me about the Kindle is the keyboard. It has manual keys. I can just see those on the beach just clogging up with sand.

Gramps

After reading bra1child's post on the previous page, I checked out the Kindle 3 user guide for web browsing then tried it with my wife's new K3. It is definitely doable and with practice wouldn't be too bad but not my go-to e-mail device when better "free" options were available using a PC. Once you get using the screen orientation & cursor controls down, using the Kindle keyboard is still a little awkward, IMHO. What appeals to me was the poster mentioning being able to use the 3G feature on her cruise without having to buy internet time or pay cell charges. I am now considering a 3G + Wi-Fi Kindle 3 which is $50 more than my wife's Wi-Fi only version cost with the thought of taking it on our cruises for occasional web browsing & e-mail in additon to reading books. BTW, I LOVE my iPod Touch with Kindle software for reading books! When I first heard of reading books on an iPod, I dismissed the idea.... thinking who would want to read on the 3.5" screen? Well, once I actually tried it, I quickly changed my mind. The backlit screen & adjustable font size makes reading a pleasure.... YMMV.:)

Click here for Kindle 3 User Guide PDF you can read and save. I believe the section on Web Browsing begins on page 117.

Thank you for all your great info on Kindle. Mine arrives today. Waiting patiently.... yay right.:D

Thank you for all your great info on Kindle. Mine arrives today. Waiting patiently.... yay right.:D

You're most welcome, Michelle! Glad it was helpful. In case you didn't see my mention of this already in a previous post, check out www.kindleiq.com & look at the tab for "Free Kindle Books". You're gonna love your new Kindle. :)

You're most welcome, Michelle! Glad it was helpful. In case you didn't see my mention of this already in a previous post, check out www.kindleiq.com & look at the tab for "Free Kindle Books". You're gonna love your new Kindle. :)

I signed up for that because you too. Thank you again. Now I wish Mr. UPS man would hurry and get here.

Does Amazon put the books you already have on the new device before it gets to you? I saw that it will be registered but don't see it listed in my devices.

I signed up for that because you too. Thank you again. Now I wish Mr. UPS man would hurry and get here.

Does Amazon put the books you already have on the new device before it gets to you? I saw that it will be registered but don't see it listed in my devices.

The UPS man always seems to take forever when you're excited to get something!:D Good question about preloading the books you already bought at Amazon... I seem to recall someone saying theirs did arrive with books already loaded. If not, it will take you just a minute to register the Kindle on your Amazon "Manage My Kindle" account & another 30 seconds or so to download any books you purchased. Enjoy!! :)

The UPS man always seems to take forever when you're excited to get something!:D Good question about preloading the books you already bought at Amazon... I seem to recall someone saying theirs did arrive with books already loaded. If not, it will take you just a minute to register the Kindle on your Amazon "Manage My Kindle" account & another 30 seconds or so to download any books you purchased. Enjoy!! :)

I know. I'm still waiting. Boy I have a lot of free books now. :):) I'm gonna be reading a long time.

This may be a dead horse by now, but I have the Sony e-reader. I haven't had to buy any books yet. Google has over 1 million free titles, and, as others have mentioned, with the Nook and Sony, you can borrow library books. My local library allows me to borrow 20 titles for three weeks. For me, that was the clincher.

For those who may be "patience challenged" ~

I got to touch, hold, try, and play around with a Kindle at Best Buy yesterday. I was hesitant to purchase without being able to do so first.

Yes, I came home with one. :)

I love mine. Got it today and it is awesome. Easy to setup since my wasn't registered like I thought it would be.

Internet looks a bit tuff but have played with it much. The longest thing was remembering my network password. I always forget to write it down and then I need it to add a device. Ugh.

For those who may be "patience challenged" ~

I got to touch, hold, try, and play around with a Kindle at Best Buy yesterday. I was hesitant to purchase without being able to do so first.

Yes, I came home with one. :)

Lucky you!! I did get to play with one at Best Buy but there were none in stock. Had them check all Best Buy locations in our city, not a Kindle to be found. Same story at Target so I ordered from Amazon last Wednesday. Checked the UPS site today, my Kindle is on the truck for delivery! UPS usually gets here at 5 pmish, of course I'm not taking any chances and don't plan on leaving the house this afternoon!

Lucky you!! I did get to play with one at Best Buy but there were none in stock. Had them check all Best Buy locations in our city, not a Kindle to be found. Same story at Target so I ordered from Amazon last Wednesday. Checked the UPS site today, my Kindle is on the truck for delivery! UPS usually gets here at 5 pmish, of course I'm not taking any chances and don't plan on leaving the house this afternoon!

I had someone man my front door all day. I ran to BB to get a cover but it does fit perfect. I'll be looking for a cover and returning the other probably.

....Had them check all Best Buy locations in our city, not a Kindle to be found. Same story at Target so I ordered from Amazon last Wednesday. Checked the UPS site today, my Kindle is on the truck for delivery!.....

Congrat's.... You'll love your new Kindle & you likely saved a few $ sales tax by getting it from Amazon.

I had someone man my front door all day. I ran to BB to get a cover but it does fit perfect. I'll be looking for a cover and returning the other probably.

Thought I'd share this link to a new cover I found at Amazon that won't ship yet for a couple of weeks but it appeals to me for 2 reasons: 1)The design has a leather "frame" around the Kindle that will protect the Kindle when I use the book clip on our exercise bikes as my gym, and 2)it will cost under $25 delivered. Zoom in on the item detail pic's to better see what I described. Of course, there are lots of different cases available as I'm sure you've noticed.

If you search for MEdge on Amazon, there are tons of color, leather cases. I haven't searched for one for the 3rd generation, just be sure you read the fine print. I do love my cover, though, as it has slipped through my fingers a few times, and the cover has added enough protection to

"save" it.

My cover has suede on the inside, and it was showing a little dirt, (I guess I'm dirtier than I thought:o) Anyways, I took it off my Kindle and sprayed it with Oxyclean and a quick rinse and dry...good as new! I wouldn't want to SOAK it, but it did clean up nicely.

Enjoy your kindle, I can honestly say it changed my travel life!

Congrat's.... You'll love your new Kindle & you likely saved a few $ sales tax by getting it from Amazon.

Thought I'd share this link to a new cover I found at Amazon that won't ship yet for a couple of weeks but it appeals to me for 2 reasons: 1)The design has a leather "frame" around the Kindle that will protect the Kindle when I use the book clip on our exercise bikes as my gym, and 2)it will cost under $25 delivered. Zoom in on the item detail pic's to better see what I described. Of course, there are lots of different cases available as I'm sure you've noticed.

That is a real nice cover for a great price. I ended up returning the Medge to BB. It said it was for the newest gen. Kindle but it feel right out. I ended up buying a pouch for K2 that zips with pockets for now. It was on clearance at target for 7 bucks. the k3 just like was selling for 29.99. It think I got a good deal. I just want to protect it while traveling. Only 30 more days until I cruise. Whoo hOO!!

That is a real nice cover for a great price...... Only 30 more days until I cruise. Whoo hOO!!

Today, I asked "the birthday bunny" (aka my wife) for a Kindle 3G + that new case I linked this morning. She said "of course"! :D I see we have cruises leaving within a day of each other... may they both be tons of fun!

Today, I asked "the birthday bunny" (aka my wife) for a Kindle 3G + that new case I linked this morning. She said "of course"! :D I see we have cruises leaving within a day of each other... may they both be tons of fun!

Oh yes! They will be fun. Exicted the days coming way down now. Happy Birthday:D

Several of you have posted that you are very happy with your Kindle and the packing convenience it allows. I've been wanting one for a long time, and am about to break down and buy. My question, though, is are there any aspects that are less positive?

Thanks!

My wife has the Kindle and my son has the iPad. The iPad is about $200 more. You can download a Kindle app for the iPad. With this app you can access all of the Amazon library that you can with the Kindle. My wife loves her Kindle. The iPad has all of the functionality of the Kindle and then some. iPad has a much larger screen, about the same weight. iPad gives you the choice between unlit or back lit. And then there are all of the other Apple applications and internet browser to enhance is diverse user functions.

Archived