Sunburn through the windows?

algorithmannie

I sunburn really really easily (I'm a red-head). Making sure I'm covered from head to toe in sunscreen is my least favorite part of cruising! Last year, I set a new record for myself and managed to get sunburned through my t-shirt while at the beach!!

Anyway, I love to be outside on the ship, but usually try to find a lounge chair in the shade near the pool area. There are large windows and the sunlight comes through the windows. I've always wondered if I can sunburned from the sun coming through the window. Do they have some kind of UV protection? I've asked a couple crew members in the past, but no one knew.

Anyone on cruise critic have experience with this? If you've been sunburned through the windows, then I definitely know that I still need sunscreen.

Thanks! I love being able to ask such a random question and hopefully someone will actually know about it!

I sunburn really really easily (I'm a red-head). Making sure I'm covered from head to toe in sunscreen is my least favorite part of cruising! Last year, I set a new record for myself and managed to get sunburned through my t-shirt while at the beach!!

Anyway, I love to be outside on the ship, but usually try to find a lounge chair in the shade near the pool area. There are large windows and the sunlight comes through the windows. I've always wondered if I can sunburned from the sun coming through the window. Do they have some kind of UV protection? I've asked a couple crew members in the past, but no one knew.

Anyone on cruise critic have experience with this? If you've been sunburned through the windows, then I definitely know that I still need sunscreen.

Thanks! I love being able to ask such a random question and hopefully someone will actually know about it!

YES! You can definitely get a sunburn through a window. The sun's rays penetrate glass, clouds, water, loosely woven clothing, etc.,

I have read and heard from numerous dermatologists who said that most people's left side of the face shows more sun damage (wrinkles, spots) than the right and they postulate that the reason for this is that left side is the side that is exposed more to the sun's rays as we drive our cars.

Wear sunscreen whenever you are outside or will be sitting close to any window.

Thanks for the info! I wear sunscreen every day (including in the winter). I always put on a couple layers of sunscreen in the morning on a cruise. However, I can only sit in the sun for an hour or two, and even then need to re-apply the sunscreen often.

Good to know that the windows filter out some of the rays. I'll have sunscreen on, but probably don't have to be quite as careful.

I'm a redhead, too, and burn easily. I love Bullfrog Marathon Mist Spray Sunblock. I never get burned when I use it and it's easy to apply and smells nice. The only drawback is that it's hard to tell when it's almost empty, so I buy 2 cans at a time. One can lasts me for a week at the beach.

Just to be different, I will (truthfully) say that I sometimes go a year or two without using sunscreen -- and I have fair skin. I'm just careful to avoid the sun as much as possible. :mad: [i just used the red face to be cute, not because I ever get that red!]

Regular glass blocks out almost all the UVA rays, which are those that cause sunburn. Regular glass does let throuhg a lot of UVB rays which are responsible for premature aging and wrinkling so although you may not get burned probably better for you to put on the sunscreen.

B.

I sunburn really really easily..........managed to get sunburned through my t-shirt while at the beach!!

Been there, done that, bought (and burned through) the t-shirt. And yes, one can easily get sunburned through glass. Again, from experience.

(I blame my parents, God love 'em -- d*mned Irish skin...........LOL! :rolleyes: ;))

I'm a redhead, too, and burn easily. I love Bullfrog Marathon Mist Spray Sunblock. I never get burned when I use it and it's easy to apply and smells nice. The only drawback is that it's hard to tell when it's almost empty, so I buy 2 cans at a time. One can lasts me for a week at the beach.

I'm a fair redhead, too. I've never heard of this sunblock---I will give it a try. I spent a lot of time in the solarium on the Solstice, and loved it due to being able to sit out and read my book and not fry. The best!

Archived