Westin's Sunset Key Restaurant

mountainbreeze

My fiance and I are looking for a place to have lunch after our wedding on Smathers beach. (It will just be the two of us).

Has anyone been to the restaurant on Sunset Key? Does it take a very long time to take the boat to the little island? Is there a long waiting time for the boat? We don't have a whole lot of time for lunch that day as we have to drive back to Miami that afternoon to catch our Carnival Destiny ship the next morning.

Can anyone give me an estimate on how long it will take to eat lunch at Sunset Key on a sunday (including wait times, boat ride, etc...)?

My fiance and I are looking for a place to have lunch after our wedding on Smathers beach. (It will just be the two of us).

Has anyone been to the restaurant on Sunset Key? Does it take a very long time to take the boat to the little island? Is there a long waiting time for the boat? We don't have a whole lot of time for lunch that day as we have to drive back to Miami that afternoon to catch our Carnival Destiny ship the next morning.

Can anyone give me an estimate on how long it will take to eat lunch at Sunset Key on a sunday (including wait times, boat ride, etc...)?

I will let others who have been to Sunset Key since the restaurant changed advise you on it, but if it doesn't work out, I suggest you check out Louis Backyard. It is in an old house on the Atlantic side, beautiful porches and shady decks overlooking the water, or if its too hot, you can sit inside - they usually have the AC on and the doors open, not very environmentally friendly but lets you feel like you are outside while not being miserable if its too hot.

OK. Good advice above.

I have eaten at Sunset Key many times. You will have to make reservations for the boat to Sunset Key through the concierge at the Westin Hotel. You can do so by phone, but you will need to go to the concierge to get physical possession of the tickets. The boat goes every half hour. Sometimes it goes more often. You can't get on without that ticket.

It is a very scenic place to eat, but might be a chore to get to after your ceremony. The boat ride to and from is fun.

Louie's Backyard is much closer to Smathers Beach, doesn't cost a lot more than Sunset Key. They also have a fabulous view. You can eat inside or out (at Sunset Key too.) Here's the kicker on L's BY. They are not open all day. They have lunch hours and dinner hours. Plus they also appreciate those who make reservations. Sunset Key does have running hours from breakfast through dinner, so you might have more latitude in your planning. I don't know your schedule.

If you are concerned about money, be advised that Louie's Backyard is at the higher end of Key West restaurant pricing. Some even find Sunset Key to be a little pricey. You can check the menus and prices of both these fine establishments on line.

Whoops! You did ask for a time estimate to eat at Sunset Key. Lets see. You will have to get from SMathers Beach to the Westin Hotel--fifteen minutes? Parking might be the trick here. Then you have to walk to the concierge and pick up the ticket. Five minutes, I judge--maybe ten. Then you have to walk along the scenic dock area on the waterside of the Westin to wait for the boat. Time here will depend on when the boat goes.

The actual trip is about ten or fifteen minutes. Then you walk a short distance to the restaurant. I'd allow an hour for a leisurely, romantic lunch. Then you have to wait for the boat back. You might time it right or you might just miss it and have to wait for the next one. Then it is ten or fifteen minutes back to the Westin. Then you must walk back to where you parked your car.

Oh, here is an insider's tip. If you eat at Sunset Key, you can park free in the Westin covered parking garage. They most likely WILL NOT VOLUNTEER this information. Be sure to ask about it.

I'm thinking I'd allow a minimum of an hour and a half for all this or even two hours to be safe and have a leisurely, relaxing lunch.

I will let others who have been to Sunset Key since the restaurant changed advise you on it, but if it doesn't work out, I suggest you check out Louis Backyard. It is in an old house on the Atlantic side, beautiful porches and shady decks overlooking the water, or if its too hot, you can sit inside - they usually have the AC on and the doors open, not very environmentally friendly but lets you feel like you are outside while not being miserable if its too hot.

Clay Clayton,

Thank you SO MUCH for the recomendation to Louie's Backyard! I had heard about this place, but I dismissed it for some reason. Now after taking a second look, I think this may be the place for us to eat! The location and menu should work out just fine for us!

Whoops! You did ask for a time estimate to eat at Sunset Key. Lets see. You will have to get from SMathers Beach to the Westin Hotel--fifteen minutes? Parking might be the trick here. Then you have to walk to the concierge and pick up the ticket. Five minutes, I judge--maybe ten. Then you have to walk along the scenic dock area on the waterside of the Westin to wait for the boat. Time here will depend on when the boat goes.

The actual trip is about ten or fifteen minutes. Then you walk a short distance to the restaurant. I'd allow an hour for a leisurely, romantic lunch. Then you have to wait for the boat back. You might time it right or you might just miss it and have to wait for the next one. Then it is ten or fifteen minutes back to the Westin. Then you must walk back to where you parked your car.

Oh, here is an insider's tip. If you eat at Sunset Key, you can park free in the Westin covered parking garage. They most likely WILL NOT VOLUNTEER this information. Be sure to ask about it.

I'm thinking I'd allow a minimum of an hour and a half for all this or even two hours to be safe and have a leisurely, relaxing lunch.

HeavySurf, Thanks so much for the details about Sunset Key, just the info I needed! Lattitudes restaurant sounds like a fabulous place to eat, but I am afraid we may feel rushed because of our schedule that day. We will have to make a trip back to KW to eat there!

Louie's Backyard is also a great recomendation, and seems to have just what we need.

Thanks again for your reply to my querry, I appreciate your awesome information!

Archived