Tips for 1st time cruiser to Bermuda?

ZambiniGold

Hi all,

Wife and I are looking forward to first cruise, first time to Bermuda. Looking for tips on shore excursions / good places to see in Bermuda. Also any other general tips for 1st time cruisers. Appreciate it! Leaving in less than 2 weeks, excited!

ZG

Hi all,

Wife and I are looking forward to first cruise, first time to Bermuda. Looking for tips on shore excursions / good places to see in Bermuda. Also any other general tips for 1st time cruisers. Appreciate it! Leaving in less than 2 weeks, excited!

ZG

Are you going on the 23rd? I'm on that cruise, there is a roll call in the

explorer thread, and you can look at the Bermuda thread on cc , that will give you lots of info on what to do while in Bermuda.

My first time too, got some good tips on those threads.

have fun!

We just walked off the ship and alongside the pier, there was a line of "Blue Flag" taxis (which are government regulated tour guides), and arranged a comprehensive tour of the island complete with beach time at Horseshoe Bay. It was $10 per person, per hour. We did a 5 hour tour, which was a real bargain at $50 pp total!!

Avoid ship sponsored excusrions. They are nothing more than overpriced cattle herds!

Go to the Ports of Call section for Bermuda and check out recommendations.

Laws prohibit car rentals in Bermuda. Renting a scooter may be dangerous! Folks drive on the "other side of the road" and newbies sometimes have trouble with this. We saw some folks come back to the ship pretty well scraped up.

Taxis are very expensive! The local bus service is excellent, fairly inexpensive, and goes all over the island. It is more economical to buy a day pass, and the best deal of all is a three day pass. Locals are very friendly and will provide directions as to stops, (etc.)

Horseshoe Beach is just beautiful. The Botanical Gardens are a nice take.

I too went to Bermuda on my first cruise and did not know much about what I was doing so the OP has a big advantage over me for their first cruise.

The bus and ferry is so easy to use and you can get just about anywhere on the island using them.

Dont be afraid to ask for directions, the islanders are so friendly and they will help.

Jobsons Cove, Gibbs Hilll Lighthouse, and Horseshoe Bay are a must for first time visitors.

Yes, use the 2 or 3 day bus and ferry passes which will be sold on the ship at the Explorations desk. No need for ship excursions. I could ride around Bermuda all day on the buses. A great and cheap way to see practically everything! The number 7 bus just out side the King's Wharf terminal goes to Horeshoe beach. Our first day we took the early "fast" ferry to St. George, walked around there for a while, did the cathedral, etc. then walked up the hill past the ruins of a half-built church, on up hill till we came to an overlook of the gorgeous Tabacco Bay! You can elect to walk down to it or take the road on down to a fort. Then we walked back and took a bus (I think the 11, but more than one bus goes) to Hamilton and then took the ferry back to Kings Wharf from Hamilton after looking around there a bit. And the bus rides were perfect for sight-seeing. It is a beautiful island.

1) In the Dockyards, there is a shop that sells incredible Glass Works and (believe it or not, in the same shop) some of the most incredible rum cake we've ever had. Worth it to watch these masters at their craft.

2) The number 7 bus runs between the Dockyards and Hamilton. While we know the ferry is quicker, taking the bus gives you a "slice of life" of the island ... kids going to school ... barristers on their way to court wearing their formal Bermuda Shorts (they can argue a case in Her Majesty's Honourable Court, but can't go into the Explorers Main Dining Room wearing Bermuda Shorts) ... locals on their way to visit family or friends ... and it's inexpensive at @ $3 per person.

3) The Hog & Penny in Hamilton (near Front Street)

Enjoy yourself on Bermuda ... it's one of our favourite islands.

Michael and Silke

Been to both Caves, like Crystal best.. Also Bermuda Perfumery has gorgeous gardens in summer (never been in fall) and is very interesting.. between St George and Hamilton.

Expensive to eat out.. big breakfast on ship and snack lunch with dinner back on board works for us.

Cool, this is good info. Anne and I were going to schedule shore excursions through RCI, but I think we'll bag it now. Anyone go to the Aquarium or the Crystal Caves?

Both are quite nice but if you're been to a large zoo, it's not the best use of your time in BDA. For a first timer, I would also opt out of the caves. JMO:)

Cool, this is good info. Anne and I were going to schedule shore excursions through RCI, but I think we'll bag it now. Anyone go to the Aquarium or the Crystal Caves?

We did the aquarium years ago on a rainy day. If it wasn't raining, I would suggest something else!

Anne is on target about food prices. We paid $17 for a hamburger, a fish sandwich, and two soft drinks ten years ago and that was at a place that served them in a brown paper bag and we ate off of an outdoor picnic table!

iheartbda, what would you recommend for first timers to BDA?

Oh my...WHERE to start?:)

Dockyard to begin since that's whre you're docked. Like other have said, the Glassworks and Rum Cake Factory for starters, and Bermuda Maritime Museum, Bermuda Arts Center and Bermuda Craft Market are all at Dockyard. If you are interested in sea glass, there's a great beach for that close by.

It might be a bit chilly for the beach, although the water stays warm longer than it takes to warm up. Horseshoe Bay is always a must and it's nice to walk to the left, explore all the coves and just suck in the beautiful scenery. There's also a path you can walk along to explore the other beaches.

Gibb's Hill Lighthouse is worth the 189 steps up to get a panoramic view of the island.

Par-La-Ville park in Hamiton is a lovely garden to walk through with the Historical Society Musem and Perot Post office close by. City Hall and the Arts Center has a wonderful collection of artwork and the Cathedral is worth a stop in. Fort Hamilton offers great views of Hamilton Harbour as well as a moat to walk which feels like being in a secret garden.

The Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute is quite interesting and we took a GREAT excursion through it to see glow worms which are only out for a few days under a full moon.

The Botanical Gardens are also a great point of interest.

Moving over to St. George. The Perfumery as mentioned, the unfinished church, Tobacco Bay, Somer's Garden, Bermuda National Trust Museum, St. Peter's church and Gate's Fort to see the Town Cut where ships used to go through. Just walking around the quaint town of St. George and note the interesting names of lanes and alleys....Old Maid's Lane, Needle and Thread Alley to name a few.

The Swizzle Inn for an obligatory rum...yum, yum....swizzle. Don't be afraid to grab some lunch somewhere since places like the Swizzle Inn have some reasonable, and good, pub grub. Triple yum....Bermuda fish chowder.

At large. Just taking the bus anywhere is a cheap tour as is a trip on the ferry. So much, so little time.

If you do want to do some sort of organised excursion, I'd recommend booking yourself to do the Helmet Diving with Hartley's. It's always been a huge hit whenever we've had visitors. I've been twice and both times experienced new and amazing things and I've lived here all my life!

Sorry for my last stupid post...I can say this is my 1st time posting, but, you can see it isn't. So no excuses....

Anyway..dh and I have been to Bermuda 5 times and have enjoyed so many things. We did go to the aquarium and zoo( 1 price for both ) and really enjoyed it. I could have skipped the caves....interesting, but....We also went to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute...LOVED it. We love taking the busses and ferries..a great way to see different parts of the island. I love Hamilton..dh not so much...we both love St. George's. So many beautiful beaches..So many things...I guess I'll have to go back.....alot. Enjoy my favorite place:p

The Helmet Diving looks really interesting! Would you recommend reserving ahead of time, or waiting until we get there?

iheartbda, thanks for all the details!

Also, as a first time cruiser, I heard that there are deals once the cruise is underway, so it's better to wait on certain trips/activites until a deal comes out. Is that true / what can we expect? Thanks in advance!

The Helmet Diving looks really interesting! Would you recommend reserving ahead of time, or waiting until we get there?

iheartbda, thanks for all the details!

Also, as a first time cruiser, I heard that there are deals once the cruise is underway, so it's better to wait on certain trips/activites until a deal comes out. Is that true / what can we expect? Thanks in advance!

No sure what you are referring to unless you mean ship excursions may drop in price once you are underway. Not saying it couldn't be true, but it's not anything I've ever heard or encountered before. Maybe if an excursion is not selling well, some cruise line drops the price but more than likely, they will cancel it all together and this is what I've found. I have also found that the more desirable ones get booked up before sailing, although they do hold some for people who have not booked ahead online. Still, there were no deals on those. Where did you hear of these deals?

Archived