Just back from Panama Cruise

itsanita

It was a wonderful trip. I had always wanted to see Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco, Huatulco (even though I didn't know it even existed), Costa Rica, the Panama Canal, Columbia (I thought it would be neat to open a bank account there, but... I didn't want to get on any list), and even Fort Lauderdale... And now I did. Yippee!!! Anyway, I have posted my videos on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/raritthaler#p/u/10/rmJPIwSH6bs Cheers!

• 1 month later...
Our Cartegena included full tours of San Felipe Fort, La Popa, and Palace of the Inquisition. And our guide was very knowledable. You can tour all 3, or just one or two... She will make the tour whatever you want it to be. We were really pleased.

We are going on the Panama Canal cruise in Feb. and although we have been on this cruise before, our traveling companions haven't. We loved our tour of Cartagena on our last cruise and want to book a tour while there but don't really like the ship excursions with all the people. Who did you book your tour with, did you contact the tour online and what was the cost? Thanks for any info you can share with us!!

We are planning a cruise in Feb. and want to take a private tour in Cartagena. Our ship will only be in port from 9 until 3 p.m so we want to make sure we are back on board by about 1:00. I am having a problem finding names of private tours for Cartagena--could you help me out with some info? Many thanks!!!

We are planning a cruise in Feb. and want to take a private tour in Cartagena. Our ship will only be in port from 9 until 3 p.m so we want to make sure we are back on board by about 1:00. I am having a problem finding names of private tours for Cartagena--could you help me out with some info? Many thanks!!!

People on our cruise are doing a tour with Lee Miles I am sure if you google that name with Cartagena you will find them

• 2 weeks later...
Our Dr insisted that we be up to date on our Tetanus shots; and he highly recommended getting the TwinRix shots (lifetime protection), the typhoid pills (5 year protection) and some liquid for the prevention of Montezuma's Revenge (6 months protection). Since we're not sleeping anywhere but the ship, he said malaria was not likely something to worry about.

We decided to go ahead and get all that he suggested - even if they aren't required for this cruise we're set for any last minute getaways that may come up. We'd hate to get an amazing price for a tropical all-inclusive leaving tomorrow and not be able to go because we couldn't get the shots in time. The TwinRix is pretty expensive ($275 each in Manitoba) and not covered by Manitoba Health, but it is a lifetime protection.

We will also become ineligible to donate blood for one year due to this cruise. Apparently we're going to some countries that Canadian Blood Services deems "risky".

Hi Donna,

Just a friendly "heads-up" regarding the Twinrix immunization shots ;)

The Hep A component antibodies have only been calculated to last on average 20 years ( some people even less, and some maybe a little longer)

the Hep B component usually around 15 years.

We therefore tell our patients that it is wise to have a Twinrix booster shot around the 15 year mark.

So, that means it is not an immunization for life and it is very important for people to be aware of this because they think as you did and never get their boosters. It would be so sad if people think they are protected and then contact Hepatitis.

Regarding the Malaria. South America ( which is all of the Panama Canal ) is exactly where Malaria can be contracted.

It is passed through the blood either by a transfusion, sharing a needle or a mosquito bite. Canadian Blood Services considers Panama a "Malaria Risk Zone" and therefore you are not allowed to donate blood for one year!

All it takes is one bite from a mosquito that has the parasite and you could become infected. I think that your odds are definitely less being that you are not staying on land for weeks on end. But, if you are being extra careful then I would suggest bringing the medication along and if you get bit then you can start taking it?

I think prevention by using mosquito repellents and dressing properly will probably suffice but that is your decision;):D

Anyway, I just felt it important to share my opinions through experience and let those who are interested make their own choices.

BTW...we are also going on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise with Princess on Jan 3, 2012 for my DH 60th Birthday! We are so excited but bummed that it is so far away!

Have fun!

Smiles,Connie

Archived