Princess Grill - Transatlantic - A review from a first timer.

Whitemarsh

Hi Margatebne, I was just wondering what you didn't like about room service breakfast specifically? This surprised us as we thought room service breakfast was lovely, maybe it depends on what you like, we ordered a full breakfast with extras such as mushrooms and black pudding and the English Sausages were fabulous. Everything was fresh and piping hot. In fact, we often preferred this to rushing around in the Kings Court. I guess it might depend if you are in PG compared with Britannia as it may have made a difference to the breakfast experience. :)

Hi Margatebne, I was just wondering what you didn't like about room service breakfast specifically? This surprised us as we thought room service breakfast was lovely, maybe it depends on what you like, we ordered a full breakfast with extras such as mushrooms and black pudding and the English Sausages were fabulous. Everything was fresh and piping hot. In fact, we often preferred this to rushing around in the Kings Court. I guess it might depend if you are in PG compared with Britannia as it may have made a difference to the breakfast experience. :)

I remember that we particularly didn't like the eggs. We were debating whether the scrambled eggs were made with real eggs or not as we couldn't be sure. It just tasted funny.

Unfortunately we just didn't enjoy it. It wasn't us. We felt fine immediately prior to breakfast but ill afterwards. As I said before, it may simply have been a timing thing with the seasickness we ended up experiencing but whatever the case we disliked it enough to never have it again.

As with you, it did arrive on time and hot which was good.

Breakfast in PG was by comparison a lovely experience - the food certainly tasted better and breakfast wasn't overly long (as I've read people comment on regarding breakfast in the Britannia). The waitstaff seemed to understand that most people do not want to linger over breakfast as they do with dinner and sometimes lunch. We were always promptly served and everything was perfect.

It probably is different in Britannia as you do not have the same table or the same waiters.

You might also consider trying Todd English for lunch. Giving up a lunch in the Grills is easier to swallow (no pun intended) than a dinner.

Our next cruise is much longer - three weeks in fact - and we certainly intend to experience Todd English throughout that upcoming voyage. As this was our first time and the transatlantic isn't a very long cruise we decided against experiencing it.

To be honest, our thinking was 'We've paid extra to experience the Grills - why would we then want to pay even more to sample something similar/perhaps inferior/maybe marginally better?'

But I like your thinking - best to sample a lunch first to see if we like it.

on trying to please EVERYBODY!:confused:

"the dance floor would empty and a few older couples would get up and dance, leaving the younger crowd sitting on the sidelines."

Perhaps to even up the score they might start intermittently playing the latest dance music in the Queens Room.

I don't think it's too much to ask for one evening space on the ship that specifically caters for the passengers over 21 and under 50. And no Caribbean band. :D

Perhaps to even up the score they might start intermittently playing the latest dance music in the Queens Room.

I don't think it's too much to ask for one evening space on the ship that specifically caters for the passengers over 21 and under 50. And no Caribbean band. :D

Hi Margatebne. With respect, may I suggest that you might appreciate the Caribbean band Vibz on a Caribbean voyage. I've not experienced a transatlantic voyage, but I can tell you from my experience of several Caribbean voyages, that Vibz rocks the boat. People of all ages can be seen on the dance floor when they play. And they play a variety of music that allows for diverse taste.

There are people that like to dance, no matter their age or their dance skills. I've seen people dancing on QM2 dance floors that ranged from teenagers to folks in their 90's. Personally, I would hate to see age discrimination on the dance floor. Can you imagine seeing reading on the Daily Programme: Over 21 and under 50 can dance tonight.:eek:

Rock on,

Salacia

Hi Margatebne. With respect, may I suggest that you might appreciate the Caribbean band Vibz on a Caribbean voyage. I've not experienced a transatlantic voyage, but I can tell you from my experience of several Caribbean voyages, that Vibz rocks the boat. People of all ages can be seen on the dance floor when they play. And they play a variety of music that allows for diverse taste.

Exactly. They're a Caribbean band. I probably would expect a Caribbean band on a Caribbean cruise, playing on the ship somewhere, but I still wouldn't expect one in a nightclub.

If I went to the Caribbean and I wanted to go out I would expect a Caribbean band in the Caribbean nightclubs - in the Caribbean. Although I'd still expect to be able to find at least one nightspot that played regular dance music as I'm pretty sure that Caribbean people enjoy popular music in addition to Caribbean music.

I expected a Caribbean band at the sail away party. That's fine. It's not my cup of tea - hence we didn't hang around. I'm not suggesting they find replacement music for this event because people except a Caribbean, or similar type band, at these sort of events.

I'm going to disagree with you that 'Vibz' "rocks the boat". At midnight there is no other option available. On our first night we too were dancing in G32 to the musical stylings of 'Vibz' - not because they "rocked it" - but because if we wanted to dance (and not in the Queens Room) we had no other option.

Yes, people can be seen dancing to 'Vibz' late at night. Given proper alternative choices would this still be the case?

I'm sorry but I do not see anything controversial in suggesting that the QM2 should have a nightclub space that plays actual nightclub music. This is music 'spun' by a DJ who mixes the songs.

This is what I feel the QM2 lacks. A proper nightclub.

There are people that like to dance, no matter their age or their dance skills. I've seen people dancing on QM2 dance floors that ranged from teenagers to folks in their 90's. Personally, I would hate to see age discrimination on the dance floor. Can you imagine seeing reading on the Daily Programme: Over 21 and under 50 can dance tonight.:eek:

Rock on,

Salacia

You haven't understood my meaning. With respect, I find that strange as I've been pretty clear - I think.

I've been commenting that the over 50's are very well taken care when it comes to musical choice and dancing venues. The under 50's not so well.

I think you should have another read of the thread. I really am quite sure I've been clear.

Exactly. They're a Caribbean band. I probably would expect a Caribbean band on a Caribbean cruise, playing on the ship somewhere, but I still wouldn't expect one in a nightclub.

If I went to the Caribbean and I wanted to go out I would expect a Caribbean band in the Caribbean nightclubs - in the Caribbean. Although I'd still expect to be able to find at least one nightspot that played regular dance music as I'm pretty sure that Caribbean people enjoy popular music in addition to Caribbean music.

I expected a Caribbean band at the sail away party. That's fine. It's not my cup of tea - hence we didn't hang around. I'm not suggesting they find replacement music for this event because people except a Caribbean, or similar type band, at these sort of events.

I'm going to disagree with you that 'Vibz' "rocks the boat". At midnight there is no other option available. On our first night we too were dancing in G32 to the musical stylings of 'Vibz' - not because they "rocked it" - but because if we wanted to dance (and not in the Queens Room) we had no other option.

Yes, people can be seen dancing to 'Vibz' late at night. Given proper alternative choices would this still be the case?

I'm sorry but I do not see anything controversial in suggesting that the QM2 should have a nightclub space that plays actual nightclub music. This is music 'spun' by a DJ who mixes the songs.

This is what I feel the QM2 lacks. A proper nightclub.

You haven't understood my meaning. With respect, I find that strange as I've been pretty clear - I think.

I've been commenting that the over 50's are very well taken care when it comes to musical choice and dancing venues. The under 50's not so well.

I think you should have a read of my posts carefully before you infer I have a problem with age.

Easy friend, I think we are agreeing on several points. I offered the suggestion that you would enjoy Vibz on a Caribbean voyage (as opposed to the Transatlantic crossing you experienced), which you agreed might be possible.

As to what you and I might agree is good music for a nightclub, that varies by individual taste, locale, and demographics of the clientele.

You disagreed with my observation that "Vibz rocked the boat", which would be understandable, had you been on the same voyage. I was referring to my experience; no doubt your experience on a Transatlantic crossing was different.

If I understand correctly, you feel that QM2 lacks a proper nightclub where "This is music 'spun' by a DJ who mixes the songs." I suppose many of us have a different definitation of "a proper nightclub". (But I have been in G32 when there was a DJ mixing.)

I appeciate that you feel QM2 lacks a proper nightclub. Got that. And I also got that you feel passengers 'under the age of 50' do not have a venue to dance to the music.

Please be assured that I have read your post carefully. In return, I ask that you read mine with equal care. ;)

With regard,

Salacia

"I don't think it's too much to ask for one evening space on the ship that specifically caters for the passengers over 21 and under 50"

"I've been commenting that the over 50's are very well taken care when it comes to musical choice and dancing venues. The under 50's not so well."

I imagine it's all market driven, as it should be

We were on the same crossing and in our opinion Vibz is the best entertainment on the QM2. This was our 8th crossing and it seems that Vibz is always on board and we (and many others) were happy to see them.

Thanks for the review, it's great.

Hope you don't mind a "silly" question but I've not cruised with Cunard before and am so looking forward to our first voyage in November.

Do you have to pay extra for breakfast in your cabin or any room service? I've seen the room service menu on another post and there is no mention of prices.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the review, it's great.

Hope you don't mind a "silly" question but I've not cruised with Cunard before and am so looking forward to our first voyage in November.

Do you have to pay extra for breakfast in your cabin or any room service? I've seen the room service menu on another post and there is no mention of prices.

Many thanks.

Hi Jul2, from our experience, we did not pay for room service breakfast or tea/coffee delivered to the room. We did however, give a a little 'thank you' tip (some people tip and some don't...that's a different discussion), but we tip a dollar for each room service visit. For me I like a nice cocktail whilst getting ready for dinner, and yes, you obviously do pay for alcoholic drinks to be delivered (it just gets added to your overall bill). We were in Britannia balcony and not the grills. Hope that helps :)

I expected a Caribbean band at the sail away party.

I expect the Band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines. But considering that all our Cunard crossings for the past 35 years have been eastbound from New York, that's not going to happen. On most of our crossings from New York "Land of Hope and Glory" was played on the tannoy. May I ask the question: is there something more appropriate than a Caribbean band when sailing from Southampton? We had three cruises on P&O's Canberra in the late 1980s and 90s and each time there was either a military or community band to play for us.

I expect the Band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines. But considering that all our Cunard crossings for the past 35 years have been eastbound from New York, that's not going to happen. On most of our crossings from New York "Land of Hope and Glory" was played on the tannoy. May I ask the question: is there something more appropriate than a Caribbean band when sailing from Southampton? We had three cruises on P&O's Canberra in the late 1980s and 90s and each time there was either a military or community band to play for us.

"God Save the Queen" would have been appropriate, considering the seas and terrible weather we had for most of the recent westbound crossing!:eek:

"God Save the Queen" would have been appropriate, considering the seas and terrible weather we had for most of the recent westbound crossing!:eek:

Cunard aim their service at old folk (over 50s)?

No, they do provide a lot of entertainment that will be enjoyed by that age group but one of the advantages with Cunard is that all their ships are large - there are lots of different things going on in lots of different places :) Don't expect things like drinking games or the kind of activities you might get on an 18-30 holiday :eek: but there are things going on to suit most tastes :)

Cunard aim their service at old folk (over 50s)?

No, they do provide a lot of entertainment that will be enjoyed by that age group but one of the advantages with Cunard is that all their ships are large - there are lots of different things going on in lots of different places :) Don't expect things like drinking games or the kind of activities you might get on an 18-30 holiday :eek: but there are things going on to suit most tastes :)

is there something more appropriate than a Caribbean band when sailing from Southampton?

It's been a long time since I've sailed from Southampton when it's not been the start of the Christmas cruise :) On the Christmas trips there is always a brass band playing Christmas music :)

is there something more appropriate than a Caribbean band when sailing from Southampton?

It's been a long time since I've sailed from Southampton when it's not been the start of the Christmas cruise :) On the Christmas trips there is always a brass band playing Christmas music :)

The impression that I'm getting from this thread is that although it's all very pleasant, Cunard aim their service at old folk (over 50s)?

There are a lot of activities during the day which range from educational to knitting circles and trivia in the pub. I specifically booked this ship because I wanted a more 'mature' environment as beer drinking & wet t-shirt contests don't interest me. Overall there is a relaxing and upmarket feel to the ship, which we loved.

The only negative is the lack of a nightclub proper. The Queens Room is beautiful and we danced a couple of songs on the dance floor. We're thinking of taking lessons before our next cruise.

Archived