Casablanca, Agadir, Las Palmas, Funchal, & Granada Souvenirs

srlafleur

Which of these ports for grandkids souvenirs?

2 grandkids, girl age 8, boy age 3. For obvious (luggage restrictions & $) and other (not a shopaholic) reasons, I want to get souvenirs for the grandbabies from only one of the following ports:

Casablanca, Agadir, Las Palmas, Funchal, & Granada.

I need advice regarding which port would possibly be the best/easiest to look for good souvenirs for them. Not too pricey, but not t-shirts/trinkets either. DGD has a collection of international dolls, but is appreciative of arts/crafts as well. DGS is 3, so...? (picked up a soft, stuffed taxi in Barcelona for him last year, fish mobile in Mexico year before).

We may have some shopping time in a few excursions, but generally plan excursions that don't include shopping.

Any advice, ideas?

Thanks.

Which of these ports for grandkids souvenirs?

2 grandkids, girl age 8, boy age 3. For obvious (luggage restrictions & $) and other (not a shopaholic) reasons, I want to get souvenirs for the grandbabies from only one of the following ports:

Casablanca, Agadir, Las Palmas, Funchal, & Granada.

I need advice regarding which port would possibly be the best/easiest to look for good souvenirs for them. Not too pricey, but not t-shirts/trinkets either. DGD has a collection of international dolls, but is appreciative of arts/crafts as well. DGS is 3, so...? (picked up a soft, stuffed taxi in Barcelona for him last year, fish mobile in Mexico year before).

We may have some shopping time in a few excursions, but generally plan excursions that don't include shopping.

Any advice, ideas?

Thanks.

Granada - I'm guessing you mean that you'll port in Malaga and take ship's excursion to the Alhambra. Which means you'll have very little opportunity to shop.

Funchal - not been there, but I get the impression its quite expensive.

Las Palmas - probably your best bet for a simple standard tourist-shopping experience & a decent range of options at sensible prices.

Morocco - no need to go shopping, you're likely to be pestered by kids but the stuff they peddle is mainly trashy. But wandering the souks is a big part of the Moroccan experience, and you'll find a wide range of wares, qualities & prices in the shops & stalls. You'll need to hone your bartering skills - I get the impression that's not likely to be your scene, but give it a whirl ;), and you'll probably find this your best value of the entire cruise.

Interesting itinerary, enjoy

John Bull

Thanks, John,

You are right in assuming that bartering isn't really my "thing" (would you please just run that new car over the price scanner and forget the games?), but I have done it successfully on vaca. Since we are visiting the Oasis of Tiout from Agadir, I'm guessing there might be a good opportunity there for some real Morrocan something-or-other. The last think I want is some "authentic Moroccan" tchotches actually made in Taiwan!

Question now is, what are the best things? I always have a hard time deciding for the grandkids.

Yes, it is Malaga rather than Granada, but we are foregoing the Alhambra (I know, I know, but the whole ship will be there at once) for a Sierra de la Tejada 4x4 excursion. Adventure (good)! Fun (better)! Food & wine (best)!!!

:)

Thanks for the info, Essiesmom. It looks like we should have better than an hour after our 4x4 & Camel Adventure (are we sensing a trend?) for shopping, so, close to the port is good. Crafts of many sorts seem a good option. Anything that can be hung on a wall (appreciated by a 3 year old, but out of harm's way) would be nice.

Also the flatter, the better, for packing purposes. Seen any local artists/local artist's prints available in any of my ports? That's often what I like to bring home for myself and the grown kids.

• 3 weeks later...
There were rag dolls to buy in the Canary Islands in the linen stores that would be nice for a young girl. In costume of the islands. I also saw small dolls in Madeiran costume in Funchal. There is not much variety in either place of things to buy.

Oh, good! Those would be a nice addition to my granddaughter's collection.

Archived