Live From Queen Elizabeth

ovccruiser

As mentioned elsewhere, Cunard have told all their staff that they intend to rotate them between all three ships. It's not too popular a move.

Stewart

All the other lines do the same thing - Why shouldn't Cunard?

My first experience of such ships is in just over 3 weeks when my wife and I take the QM2 from Southampton to New York for our first cruise so I can't comment on the ships in question from personal experience.

What I would say is that as a former seafarer and as someone still employed in the shipping industry is that when a ship is designed the 'hull form' is optimised for her intended trading pattern - in the QM2's case this would be predominatly for crossing the Atlantic, the QV and QE's hull form will have been optimised for general cruising.

If the naval architects got their 'sums right' the QM2 should be a better vessel for the the Atlantic crossings than the QV and QE, the reality is that the oceans / mother nature rarely conform to the models used by the naval architects and perceptions of how a ship handles rough weather willl be very much down to personal opinion.

The above is purely my personal experience / opinion and not intended in any way as a 'slight' to the previous posters.

Very much looking forward to my first experience of these ships.

Whether a crossing was comfortable or not the QV and QE are still cruise ships and not ocean liners as Cunard professes. jmo.

As I've understood from a couple of ships's Captains and a ship historian - the terms "Ocean Liner" and "Cruise Ship" are more about the function of the ship than any design element...

When a ship - any Ship - does a point-to-point trip as a method of transportation with embarcation in one port and disembarcation in another - It's a "Liner".

When a ship - any Ship - does a round-trip voyage from the same point as a tour or pleasure trip, it's a "Cruise Ship".

IE: S.S. France (1961)

When she was doing her Transatlantic Liner Crossings through 1974, she was functioning as an "Ocean Liner".

When the same ship did her winter Caribbean cruises from New York during that timeframe, and afterwards doing the r/t itineraries out of Miami after she had been re-named "Norway" - She was a "Cruiseship".

SS Rotterdam (V), QE2, Nieuw Amsterdam (II), Maurentania (II) - these are typically considered "Ocean Liners", but were frequently pressed into duty - whether by design, alteration or necessity - as "Cruise Ships"

So when QM2 does her round-trip journeys to the Caribbean out of New York - She isn't an Ocean Liner, but a Cruiseship.

And when QV does a crossing from NYC to England - She's not a Cruiseship but an Ocean Liner.

Gosh! You guys are made of hardier stuff than me and my partner. We had to take seasickness tablets on day 2 in moderate seas during our QM2 transatlantic.

The ship was definitely pitching and there was also discernible rolling as well.

It was either the third or the second night that we saw one of the Princess Grill waiters leap over to grab a trolley that had come loose and was making it own way down the PG runway. Does that classify as big seas?

As I've understood from a couple of ships's Captains and a ship historian - the terms "Ocean Liner" and "Cruise Ship" are more about the function of the ship than any design element...

When a ship - any Ship - does a point-to-point trip as a method of transportation with embarcation in one port and disembarcation in another - It's a "Liner".

When a ship - any Ship - does a round-trip voyage from the same point as a tour or pleasure trip, it's a "Cruise Ship".

IE: S.S. France (1961)

When she was doing her Transatlantic Liner Crossings through 1974, she was functioning as an "Ocean Liner".

When the same ship did her winter Caribbean cruises from New York during that timeframe, and afterwards doing the r/t itineraries out of Miami after she had been re-named "Norway" - She was a "Cruiseship".

SS Rotterdam (V), QE2, Nieuw Amsterdam (II), Maurentania (II) - these are typically considered "Ocean Liners", but were frequently pressed into duty - whether by design, alteration or necessity - as "Cruise Ships"

So when QM2 does her round-trip journeys to the Caribbean out of New York - She isn't an Ocean Liner, but a Cruiseship.

And when QV does a crossing from NYC to England - She's not a Cruiseship but an Ocean Liner.

BRIAN

You are correct. I have worked aboard Cargo liners, petroleum liners as well as riding "rail liners" on the rail systems.

The designation is indeed defined by "function" but also by "service" A ship was designated a "liner" when it routinely went to defined ports on a published schedule (such as the Queens for trans-Atlantic travel).

Other "liners" were ships of various types, that made regularly scheduled voyages so that shippers and passengers could themselves use their services.

I was an officer on an "around-the-world" liner that had a defined published schedule that was maintained for years (it was a 12 passenger cargo ship).

The opposite of a "liner" in steamship days, was called a "tramp" or "tramp steamer". Many of the characteristics attributed to the great trans-atlantic liners were due to the inclusion of military features, so that the ship could be used as a military transport. These features were paid for by the respective national governments and generally subsidized for the additional operating costs. Governments are no longer doing this.

The decision as to build a ship as a Chevrolet or a Cadillac, is an economic one. The engineering bureaus and insurance companys will define the limitations of use of the vessel i.e. crossing the north Atlantic etc.

It was either the third or the second night that we saw one of the Princess Grill waiters leap over to grab a trolley that had come loose and was making it own way down the PG runway. Does that classify as big seas?

Some Indicators of "Big Seas"

(1) Captain makes announcement that passengers should stay in their cabins as much as possible.

(2) Captain makes announcement not to go outside on boat deck/promenade deck etc.

(3) Many of the crew are unavailable to perform duties due to seasickness.

(4) Reports of several passengers falling over and breaking bones.

(5) Lectures cancelled as lecturer cannot stay upright.

Some Indicators of "Big Seas"

(1) Captain makes announcement that passengers should stay in their cabins as much as possible.

(2) Captain makes announcement not to go outside on boat deck/promenade deck etc.

(3) Many of the crew are unavailable to perform duties due to seasickness.

(4) Reports of several passengers falling over and breaking bones.

(5) Lectures cancelled as lecturer cannot stay upright.

Yikes! Does that sort of thing happen often? -And on what voyages?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. -Regards, Salacia

Really?

I thought that was an indication that he was served one too many at the bar...

;)

Brian - Yes, item 5 when occurring in the absence of items 1-4 might indicate over-indulgence in liquid refreshments.

Salacia - World Cruises, especially crossing the Tasman Sea or running into a tropical cyclone (but thankfully not too often). As I recall, it was Captain McNaught who used to tell us to keep to the cabin or not go outside in rough seas - he was always very careful.

Brian - Yes, item 5 when occurring in the absence of items 1-4 might indicate over-indulgence in liquid refreshments.

Salacia - World Cruises, especially crossing the Tasman Sea or running into a tropical cyclone (but thankfully not too often).

Thanks Louise. (note to self: study cyclones :)):eek:

Another indication of "rough seas ahead" was experienced on a TA crossing on QE2. We were among the last to leave the restaurant after dinner one evening and noticed the wait staff were tucking the tablecloths up over the plates, cutlery, etc. We asked what that was all about and were told that a rough crossing was eminent. There were gale force winds the following day and no pax were allowed on the decks.

Hi Geoff

Good to hear you're enjoying QE's maiden run.

I was wondering about the promenade deck ... have they added the "gates" at the FWD end, like on QV?

Enjoy the trip!

:)

Didn't know they had done that on QV, yes the gates are in place and the promenade now goes all around the ship.

Well, still no complaints, although I heard someone in Brittania complain abouth the cold air. I offered her my dufflecoat, but she insisted it was formal night and it was inappropriate:D:D The air con needs a very slight tweek. We are in Cadiz today, my first visit, what a lovely city with great parks. No trip today, we just induldged in the offers of Cadiz.

On Transatlantic crossings on QM2 it is fairly common for the decks to be closed due to high winds, People often ignore the flexible barriers and notices, which of course is at their own risk. You can tell when the matter is really serious ( which has happned twice to me) when the signs are backed up by the doors being secured by being roped shut which no-one can get past.

All the other lines do the same thing - Why shouldn't Cunard?

Yes, on a recent Queen Mary cruise one of the senior officers told me that the officers and crew would be rotated among the ships in the fleet.

While I recognize the value and need for rotating staff, I think one of the reasons why QE2 was considered to have a heart and a soul, a rare quality in other ships, including those in the current Cunard fleet, was her crew which, most generally, remained intact, vacation time notwithstanding. Of course, she was often the only show in town for Cunard.

Salacia - World Cruises, especially crossing the Tasman Sea or running into a tropical cyclone (but thankfully not too often). As I recall, it was Captain McNaught who used to tell us to keep to the cabin or not go outside in rough seas - he was always very careful.

Salacia...Captain McNaught on the world cruise in the kinds of seas Louise described would always remind us during his wonderful noon announcements..."Remember...as you walk about, one hand for yourself....and one for the ship..."

On passage from Papua New Guinea to Japan, we were battered at about 1:15 a.m. by a series of high waves embedded within what the captain called "a nasty squall." The waves hit us broadside on the port side, rolling us sharply several times. Everything in my cabin literally flew off dressers and the chairs tumbled. There was so much damage in the dining room that the next morning's breakfast was delayed because of all the broken glassware and crockery that had to be picked up. The shops were a disaster, too.

In the Indian Ocean on passage from Mauritius to Durban, we were able to outrun a cyclone because of QE2's speed... she achieved speeds in excess of 32 knots.

Another indication of "rough seas ahead" was experienced on a TA crossing on QE2. We were among the last to leave the restaurant after dinner one evening and noticed the wait staff were tucking the tablecloths up over the plates, cutlery, etc. We asked what that was all about and were told that a rough crossing was eminent. There were gale force winds the following day and no pax were allowed on the decks.

When QE2 used to travel at top speeds even in bad weather the restaurant stewards had different table settings depending on what the weather would be like. These layups ranged from the full setting on most nights to just a white cloth onto which the waiter poured some water once you had sat down. This water was to increase the grip of the plates on the table. During the meal the waiters only put out the things you actually needed for that course!

I think one of the reasons why QE2 was considered to have a heart and a soul, a rare quality in other ships, including those in the current Cunard fleet, was her crew which, most generally, remained intact, vacation time notwithstanding.

You mean like those guys who threw the tapestries overboard in the middle of the Atlantic?

I'm curious. When it gets really rough (as per your descriptions) do most people handle it well - as in turn up for meals - or does the ship become a ghost town with everyone feeling sorry for themselves in their cabins?

Ghost town with lots of calls to Room Service...

...and a few of us stalwarts in the bar cheering on the waves.

;)

Ghost town

...and a few of us stalwarts in the bar cheering on the waves.

;)

Yes :) It's fun being a "stalwart" isn't it? :D

I remember one Captain's cocktail party while crossing from Southampton to New York on the QE2. The weather was quite bad :rolleyes: and, as a lot of the top accommodation was high up on the QE2 there was a lot of motion sickness in those cabins, the cocktail party was very sparsely attended. Once we were part the receiving line we were greeted by a waitress we'd get to know on the WC. She took our orders for drinks and brought us double doubles! Three minutes later a steward turned up with a second lot of double doubles. Five minutes later still a third round appeared, followed by a fourth! By the time that party was over we could hardly make it into dinner!

Yes :) It's fun being a "stalwart" isn't it? :D

I remember one Captain's cocktail party while crossing from Southampton to New York on the QE2. The weather was quite bad :rolleyes: and, as a lot of the top accommodation was high up on the QE2 there was a lot of motion sickness in those cabins, the cocktail party was very sparsely attended. Once we were part the receiving line we were greeted by a waitress we'd get to know on the WC. She took our orders for drinks and brought us double doubles! Three minutes later a steward turned up with a second lot of double doubles. Five minutes later still a third round appeared, followed by a fourth! By the time that party was over we could hardly make it into dinner!

Indeed, it is!

Tho after a party like that, it was hardly the weather which could be blamed for any "Sea Sickness"...

;)

...which reminds me of a dark and stormy night aboard a ship of another line when we walked through the Lido after late dinner and noted the pool emptying itself against the magrodome above! After that little adventure, we finally climbed the stairs to the deserted observation lounge and watched as the stewardess brought cocktails to our group one at a time - carrying them with both hands rather than on a tray so as not to commit "Alcohol Abuse"!

:D

Archived