Live From Queen Elizabeth

ovccruiser

So, are you saying you can walk all the way around usually or you can't currently? :confused:

Cheers

Chris

You couldn't walk all the way round the promenade deck on the QV but now it sounds like you can because there are some gates in place.

What iId like to know is where are these gates and how do they make it possible to walk all the way round?

What iId like to know is where are these gates and how do they make it possible to walk all the way round?

On QV, the gates in question are right at the forward end of the promenade deck just before it enters the enclosed area that "wraps" around the forward section of the superstructure. This is actually very similar to the forward part of QM2's promenade deck but, on QV and (I presume) on QE, it contains items of equipment and machinery that I presume make it necessary to prevent passenger access.

The gates are normally kept closed at all times and carry notices indicating that access to that area is for crew only. So they don't make it possible to walk all the way round, their normal function is to prevent that.

J

The gates are normally kept closed at all times and carry notices indicating that access to that area is for crew only. So they don't make it possible to walk all the way round, their normal function is to prevent that.

When I was wandering around while we were still in port the gates were open, so I wandered round - and was met by a security chap who politely, if firmly, asked how I'd got access - I guess he then went off to close the gates....

When I was wandering around while we were still in port the gates were open, so I wandered round - and was met by a security chap who politely, if firmly, asked how I'd got access - I guess he then went off to close the gates....

Yeah, I managed to do one complete lap of QV just after we sailed from Soton. The gates were open and there was nobody to tell me not to go in there so I did. But by the time I got back round again they had closed and locked them, and they stayed that way for the remainder of the cruise. TBH it really makes little difference as far as QV is concerned. There is little, if any view forward from that enclosed section of the deck and there is a door on each side of the ship very close to the gates so you can just cut through and exit from the corresponding door on the other side.

J

Thank you all for your posts and for the interesting article on the new QE. I'm pleased to hear about the wrap-around deck and I've noticed people stood right at the front of the ship on deck 3 on the webcam pictures.

The other two articles in that link are interesting as well. We (on the QV) were anchored next to the Delphin Voyager in Geiranger in July.

On QV, the gates in question are right at the forward end of the promenade deck just before it enters the enclosed area that "wraps" around the forward section of the superstructure. This is actually very similar to the forward part of QM2's promenade deck but, on QV and (I presume) on QE, it contains items of equipment and machinery that I presume make it necessary to prevent passenger access.

J

Odd that Cunard would do that as the comparable HAL ship's Promenades are open for walking around despite the bollards, anchor chains & such being behind closed doors in the forward bulkhead...

...if I recall correctly, there's even a drinking water fountain there too!

I have to agree with them as to why they are so small and with only a shower and no bath-tub. P&O have bath-tubs in their balcony cabins.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/?p=1488#

I'm baffled on this as well -

Nearly all HAL Vista/Signature staterooms have bathtubs, and the Minisuites as well as the Suites have Jacuzzi tubs.

Well the Britannia cabin bathrooms don't get a very good write-up from Cruise Critic. I have to agree with them as to why they are so small and with only a shower and no bath-tub. P&O have bath-tubs in their balcony cabins.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/?p=1488#

QV has baths in the higher priced balcony cabins. But agree that the shower only bathrooms are small, but as I didn't spend too much time in there it wasn't a problem.

You couldn't walk all the way round the promenade deck on the QV but now it sounds like you can because there are some gates in place.

Machinery space is a safety hazard and would not normally be open to passegers. Only time we got to use it was passing through Panama Canal.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm baffled on this as well -

Nearly all HAL Vista/Signature staterooms have bathtubs, and the Minisuites as well as the Suites have Jacuzzi tubs.

There is a full page Cunard advertisement in my newspaper today for the 2012 World Cruise

"107 nights of five star luxury"

They don't mention 107 nights without a bath. I've often wondered how people who do a full world cruise in a Britannia cabin manage without a bath for so long and especially in those small QV bathrooms.

There is a full page Cunard advertisement in my newspaper today for the 2012 World Cruise

"107 nights of five star luxury"

They don't mention 107 nights without a bath. I've often wondered how people who do a full world cruise in a Britannia cabin manage without a bath for so long and especially in those small QV bathrooms.

Try living in Bermuda then, as most people there don't have baths due to water restrictions. It may be alien to us Brits but you learn to use a shower instead. Personally, I'm a three-CD man. I have a speaker in the bathroom and listen to at least two CDs while I have a bath. I find that after three the water is getting a bit chilly.

Give me a shower any day, sitting in dirty water is not pleasant. Although I do accept that the on board showers lack space they are preferable in my mind to a bath. I am reminded of a man I knew when I worked in a pub in Whitechapel in East London, he had a council flat locally and sadly was quite a smelly individual, enquiries made revealed that he could not use his bath at home because he had filled it with illicitly obtained coal. How wonderful.

Give me a shower any day, sitting in dirty water is not pleasant. Although I do accept that the on board showers lack space they are preferable in my mind to a bath. I am reminded of a man I knew when I worked in a pub in Whitechapel in East London, he had a council flat locally and sadly was quite a smelly individual, enquiries made revealed that he could not use his bath at home because he had filled it with illicitly obtained coal. How wonderful.

Yes, here in the North we always used to keep our coal in the bath. When the area went smokeless the bath was redundant so we had the idea of washing ourselves in it instead.

We like to have both - alternate showers and baths. Hardly dirty water.

107 days without a bath :eek::o

I have been about 10 years without a bath. We had our bath removed from our house and replaced with a 4ft x 3ft shower cubical, much better imo. The reson they put showers over bathtubs is to make the shower bigger:D

I've often wondered how people who do a full world cruise in a Britannia cabin manage without a bath for so long

We did a full WC, our cabin did have a bath, but we only ever used the shower over it. I always shower - I can't remember when I last had a bath - several years ago at least. :)

We did a full WC, our cabin did have a bath, but we only ever used the shower over it. I always shower - I can't remember when I last had a bath - several years ago at least. :)

I generally have a bath in May when the weather begins to get a bit warmer. I can't see a lot of point in bathing much more frequently than that. What's a shower?

J

Archived