"Smart Casual and Above" ?????

Marie50

Totally a waste of your time and all other's time since no one - NOT EVEN X - can answer this question. Wear what you want, how you want, as others will, too. Bad question on any forum.

There are no bad questions, and I am really shocked at how grumpy many are on these boards. If you do not like the question just don't read and if you cannot respond nicely please do not respond! Not everyone is as brillant as you apparently are!

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but when we cruise, I dress every evening like we're going out to dinner at a fairly nice restaurant, think little black dress or cocktail dress. The dining room or speciality restaurant doesn't change for the evening depending on what the evenings dress code is. I don't much care what others do, it's always better to be over dressed rather than under dressed. I'm also a people watcher while having a martini in the evening and it's interesting to see what others are wearing, or not on any particular evening.

You're in luck, they allow that also. Seems like a win win for everyone, except the folks that want to impose their values and opinions on everyone else, regardless of the guidelines.

I have been on 15 cruises in the past 6 years and have never seen jeans in the dining room at night. Jeans ARE NOT Smart Casual. As one stated, you can think of smart casual as business casual and I don't know any companies that allow jeans for business casual? I have been on 4 cruise lines but never Celebrity. We are booked on our 1st Celebrity cruise March 21,2010. I hope we don't see jeans during evening dining. As far as formal nights: There is nothing more beautiful than a woman dressed to the nines in long or evening dresses. And I am sure most women enjoy seeing the men cleaned up also. It is apart of the cruise experience and sadly too many are not keeping the enjoyment of a fine cruise something they enjoy. But, we are older and have worked hard, normally 65-80 hour weeks and when relaxing enjoy the finer options of life. Enjoy your cruise, that is the main thing to remember. Life is short and have fun!!!!!!:)

I believe you are incorrect. Jeans can be smart casual they can also be casual. As you mention you are older and this is something that has changed over the last few years as designers have put more thought and tailoring in to jeans. I believe if you wear a nice pair of jeans, a nice collared shirt and nice shoes you are perfectly acceptable in a smart casual setting. This is from someone who owns about a million pairs of Kahakis. :D

Business is casual is defined by the particular business but I would agree that you would not see jeans even those I mentioned earlier in the post in a business casual setting.

B.

There are no bad questions, and I am really shocked at how grumpy many are on these boards. If you do not like the question just don't read and if you cannot respond nicely please do not respond! Not everyone is as brillant as you apparently are!

A perfect example of a "nice" response:confused:

Archived