Hidden Cameras in Cabins?!?!

theJAMESH

Of course it's NOT a camera.

Duh!

Making the hidden camera even worse, the fine print in the sales contract you are agreeing to give Carnival permission to use any images of you taken onboard the ship.

:eek:

I just got off the conquest, and with the switch to the bathroom light was extra spot. It had plexi glass over it, and inside looked almost like a camera. I figured it was either an IR sensor or a motion sensor so the steward would know if someone was in there. Anyone know what that is?

My vote is also some sort of occupancy sensor, possibly for the HVAC. The idea that there are hidden cameras in the rooms, and none of the crew has leaked this information, is ludicrous. I think our time is better spent debating whether the moon landing was staged. :cool:

OK Mach, what is this camera/motion detector/emegency light they are talking about?

i also noticed that the cabin was a handicapped one.Notice how low the peep hole is? Also the emergency instructions are low so someone in a wheelchair can read it ..I'm voting motion detector :) it's at a low level for the wheelchair.

Duh!

:eek:

My vote is also some sort of occupancy sensor, possibly for the HVAC. The idea that there are hidden cameras in the rooms, and none of the crew has leaked this information, is ludicrous. I think our time is better spent debating whether the moon landing was staged. :cool:

mythbusters already took care of the moon thing. not staged. :D

HEY..HEY..HEY..Im a single guy with a cat..LOL. A couple of cruises ago I invited a crew member to my cabin, and i was told they couldnt because of cameras..HMMMM....Mabie that is for to watch crew members that they dont mess around with passengers in cabins. Next cruise, Just put some tape over the hole..If it gets removed, then you know what its for.

I have 2 theories...that was the only excuse she could come up with that quick.

Or more likely...she was referring to the cameras in public areas and hallways and such...

Nope to the first one, for the reason posted in the second one.

A multi billion dollar business is not going to open itself up to the bad pr that would come about from someone being videoed in their cabin. The corporate lawyers would of shot that idea down the second it was raised.

I'm on the Spirit in two weeks, i'll take one apart and see what I can find.

First : No they don't.

Second : 2200 cameras can be run by one person and a bank of DVR's

Third : google "iris diaphragm"

24 x 60 = 1440 seconds per day.

@ 1 frame per second, that is 1440 x 2200 frames per day = 3,168,000 frames (1 fps is not even good stop-motion photography) Full motion video is 24 fps.

@ 0.2 megabytes per frame: 3,168,000 * 200,000 = 633,600,000,000 bytes per day (633 Gigabytes)

a seven day cruise would need 4,435,200,000,000 or 4.4 Terabytes of data. That's quite a bit. Its actually probably a little more, because the images need to be identified by cabin number and be time indexed, so investigators could go directly to see what happened in, say, cabin 4125 at 10:53pm.

The data network to collect all this data would have to be able to support a steady data rate of about 55 megabits per second, in addition to any other traffic it might carry.

Such a system could be built, but it would be expensive and I seriously doubt that the company would risk it. The first time they used it to investigate a possible crime, its existence would become public. I think that their customers would disappear. Would you cruise on a ship that recorded you in the privacy of your bedroom? I don't think I would. In fact, I would distrust not only Carnival, but all the other lines they own, as well.

Now, they might build such a system to record cameras in public areas of the ship, where there is no expectation of privacy.

But, then, what do I know? :p

Paul

Obviously part of the door lock system. At first I thought it might be a IFR motion sensor but they wouldn't put it in a door. Some hotels and offices put a motion sensor up on a wall that will detection motion (presence) in the room and turn off lights and unncecssary power if there is no movement in a room after a preset time. I used to sell IFR and Microwave (radar) motion detectors for that purpose. I used to go to exhibits and conventions for the security industry and a friend that sold cameras and lens' said he had become paranoid after being to exposed to all the equipment on the market and said when he would stay at a hotel he would turn the clock radio or just a clock around to face the wall just in case the little dot on the face of the unit might be a wireless camera. Now days they are so tiny they are almost impossible to find and they have no wires exposed to give them away.

Might wanna take a second look at your first statement there bud.

You're right of course. That just means that my final estimate of 4.4TB of data is off by a factor of 60, as well. It actually would take 264TB to store 7 days of 2000 cameras at 1 frame per second. I'm in IT, and I've never heard of a server that had that much disk storage, especially considering that most professional installations use RAID 5 arrays, which increases the amount of storage needed, but guarantees that no data will be lost, even in the event of a disk failure.

Paul

You're right of course. That just means that my final estimate of 4.4TB of data is off by a factor of 60, as well. It actually would take 264TB to store 7 days of 2000 cameras at 1 frame per second. I'm in IT, and I've never heard of a server that had that much disk storage, especially considering that most professional installations use RAID 5 arrays, which increases the amount of storage needed, but guarantees that no data will be lost, even in the event of a disk failure.

Paul

wwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosshhhhhh

I am by no means agreeing that there is a camera in the cabins, but why the many comments that a multi billion dollar business would open themselves up to lawsuits is befuddling to me. Multi billion dollar businesses do this all the time in the car industry, toys, and other areas.

If the ole United States of America would deliberately, as in, intentionally, infected a significant number of African American men just to see what the results of syplilis would do to them, why would something like this seem so outrageous? They were not concerned about lawsuits or infringement on peoples rights, I'm talking about OUR government officials.

What happened with the Tuskegee experiment was wrong and inexcusable, but the government DID NOT infect the men with syphilis. The men already had syphilis and were promised treatment, but instead of treating them the Gov. gave them placebos and studied them. Again, it was wrong and the feds stooped low, but not so low as to give people the disease.

I thought it looked like a door peep hole. (not for spying) However, I think it's something to do with the lock. As for microphones in the room, if they want to pick up my husband snoring and hear us discuss what color shorts to wear that day then go for it!! I don't think we're that interesting to want to put on video, either. :rolleyes:

Archived