Customer service in Alaskan ports

cs4225

We cruised Alaska during what I think was the second week of the Alaskan cruise season. In every port (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Prince Rupert CA) almost every sales person and restaurant server seemed so happy to see us. Many would ask us where we were from and when we said Hawaii the small conversation would continue. I was wondering from people who have gone in August or September if they receive the same type of response and treatment or are the workers just burnt out by the end of the season?

We went in late July/early August and had wonderful polite service everywhere. One of the most interesting things was to ask service staff where they were from. Apparently thousands and thousands of people are recruited into Alaskan towns for cruise season.

You know, I feel that one of the side effects of the recession has been that service has become better! The people who actually have jobs are the ones who want to work and who treat the customers well, because no business needs to hire any of the other kind. This is true in all service industries. We have certainly seen it on our last few trips to Alaska. Let's face it, if they aren't nice to the customers, they won't be back!

You know, I feel that one of the side effects of the recession has been that service has become better! The people who actually have jobs are the ones who want to work and who treat the customers well, because no business needs to hire any of the other kind. This is true in all service industries. We have certainly seen it on our last few trips to Alaska. Let's face it, if they aren't nice to the customers, they won't be back!

Unlike the locals in much of the world! They despise tourists but are dependent on them - thinking of many Italian cities, especially Venice. I spent 10 years in Germany and the Italians and French were the most arrogant, nastiest people around tourist areas. They don't refuse your money but most are very rude,

Have been to Alaska in August & September 3 times in recent years and never noticed a change...in fact the young lady who did our narration on the WP&YR this September was returning to university and it was her last run...she was excellent.:)

Archived