Reliable watch store in St. Thomas or St. Marten?

glin930

We will be cruising to St Thomas & St Maarten in late April. I want to buy a Omega seamaster. Does anyone know any reliable watch store? I will know the price beforehand. Do they offer good price there and do I need to bargain crazy? Which place is better to watch St Thomas or St Maarten? Do they usually accept credit card with a good price?

Thanks

I ran across the street to be sure that they have the Omega seamaster in their case and they have quite a few. Jewels salon at AH Riise. They have a very good reputation and will be able to provide you with the model you need.

The reason most sales staff in St Thomas love handling the watch counters is that they don't have to haggle too much. They will go straight to the sales price rather quickly.

I encourage anyone purchasing high dollar items to have it on a major credit card. If you have problemes the credit card companay can back you up.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

I'm not sure if they carry the type of watch you are looking for, but I always buy jewelry and have bought Movado watches at Ajanta Jewelers on Drakes Passage in St. Thomas. They did give us a good price. I've bought tanzanite and diamonds from them also. They are a very recommended store here in the states.

I am going to St. Thomas in April and also in the market for an Omega Seamaster. Can someone tell me the type of markdown I can expect? I am aware of how much they are here - is it worth it to wait and get it there? Also, does anyone know of a website out there that may have this information?

If you need a good watch try Liberty, you can call them before you get there. My husband just purchased a Movado watch from them last week 3/1/05. I purchased a few items from them also.

Wonderful owners, Chad and Mona!

Honest and trustworthy people.

31 Drakes Passage

340-776-1709 or 888-436-7937

Tell them Kim from Chicago sent you. Hopefully I will return in the next couple years!

:)

I'm going to both St. Thomas and St. Maarten in April. There are two Movado watches I'm interested in purchasing. I bought a Movado in Montego Bay last summer (one of the "chain" Jewelry stores in the Caribbean, and paid 50% off retail - with a "real" US warranty). Thne best I can get in NY with a "real" warranty is 20% off. Will the stores you all mention in this thread discount up to (or more) 50%? If not, it's not worth it to me. So please help me. It's my 50th b-day and hubby is buying me a gift on the cruise! Thanks

(I heard Joe's jewelry in St. Maarten gives good deals on jewelry- any feedback?

Joe's is excellent. Good choice. Shiva's in St Maarten is also a good choice.

Which Joe's do you recommend? It appears there are 4 (or more) in St. Maarten. Does each specialize in a certain type of jewelry? Thanks.

I would really do a good amount of research before you go and check the price on the specific model you want. I have3 had some good deals there but on the whole there seems to be better prices on line such as overstock.com.

Movado seems to be on sale on every island and also on line. Omega is not that well discounted so check around at several shops qnd negotiate. I've bought Seiko brands at their outlet storesfor less than Caribbean duty free.

I checked overstock.com and they listed several models at discounted prices. Go to their site, click watches and then select Omega and it will give you list and selling prices. You can use this as a guide when you get there or as a bagaining chip. If you belong to United Mileage plus and go thru their web site and use your United card you get 3 miles for every $ you spend.

• 5 years later...
We will be cruising to St Thomas & St Maarten in late April. I want to buy a Omega seamaster. Does anyone know any reliable watch store? I will know the price beforehand. Do they offer good price there and do I need to bargain crazy? Which place is better to watch St Thomas or St Maarten? Do they usually accept credit card with a good price?

Thanks

Glin930: I had same question and am int'd in same watch (are you looking at auto. or quartz? Was int'd in former but now leaning to latter). I too am hitting St. Thos. and St. Martin in late April (Oasis of the Seas, 4/24/10). The two things I have concluded are that you are crazy not to buy in an authorized dealer (so you have a manufacturer's warranty) and that if the price is close, better to buy in St. Thomas than St. Martin (as duty free max is 1600 per family for former and only 800 for latter; I am guessing that the Seamaster will be over 800, hence I may buy 2). Sent you friend request in order to email on the subject, as it sounds as though you and I are investigating on parallel tracks. Happy hunting, John :cool:

Hi,

I have been dealing with Grand Jewelers for several years. They have locations in St. Thomas and St. Martin. They carry Geneve, Movado, Raymond Weil, Citizen and Seiko watches. (that is on their web-site) I have never bought or priced their watches, so I can't tell you prices on that.

I do know that they are very reliable. They have quality items. I have purchased diamond earrings, a gorgeous diamond engagement ring and a stunning blue diamond ring from them. My insurance company accepted their appraisals. Ask for Jacky in St. Thomas. He is one of the owners. Tell him RocksNoSalt sent you....:) His cousin Mickey is one of the owners in St. Martin. I have always been very pleased with all my purchases....

No matter where you go....good luck with your shopping and enjoy your watch!

I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on buying a Tissot T-Touch Titanium the last few times have been to St. Thomas. It retails for about $900 and I have been offered as low as $650 in one store and as high as $685 in others after discounts.

Do you comparisons and have a set price in mind. Like other items you can negoiate, but don't try and make a low ball offer, it won't get you anywhere. One advantage I often have, which others on a cruise may not, is I have no issues telling them I am staying on the island and will be back if I feel the price is fair. They know I am going to shop it around and make comparisons. In one situation, the gentleman at the store dropped the price $35 ( the $650 price quote)to entice me to buy at that time. I told him I wasn't ready (which I wasn't) and he gave me his card.

Scott

Since you know the price, you hould also know the reputible stores to buy an expensive watch from. The manufacturer's website should provide you with a list dealers they will vouch for, use that as a guide. Last July. I was looking for a real good watch since I was going to be in St. John, U.S.V.I. Was looking for either an Omega like you or a Breitling. There were a few vetted retailers on St. Thomas and one on St. John. There were many Omega's, not the one I wanted and the sales people were not to my liking because I knew the product better than them. Would up getting the Breitling I really wanted at Little Switzerland it the foot of Main St. in St. Thomas. They knew the product, spent over two hours with me and wifey and to boot they had a storewide promotion, 2 years no interest.

Be careful, there is a sucker born every minute and and a crook born just as often, Good Luck. Get a feel for the watch stateside before you go. I am vey happy with my watch.

Thanks

About 4 years ago we went to the Little Switzerland while in St. Thomas and purchased a Breitling 18K Gold watch, I think it is a Navitimer. We saved $1500.00 compared to IF we would have purchased it in a jewelery store in our local mall, plus the approximate $300 in sales tax. So overall we saved about $1800 on the purchase in St. Thomas.

BUT on the same trip in another store I purchased a diamond ring and a watch and when I got home I took the ring to have it resized to my jeweler (a "real" jeweler NOT a "Kay's" kind of place). The owner called me the next day and said "I have a problem with your ring" and I asked ??? and he said what king of gold is this suppose to be? and I answered 14K solid! Well it seems that when he put heat to it to resize it the "14K gold melted right off, it was white gold, dipped in yellow gold" As far as I was concerned "I WAS CHEATED" "I DID NOT WANT A WHITE GOLD, DIPPED RING". My jeweler fixed it for me for free, resized it and re-dipped it. I called St. Thomas and said I wanted to return everything, and I told him why and he argued with me A LOT but finally said OK, that if I sent everything back to him he would credit the money back to my credit card.

I SENT EVERYTHING BACK AND HE CREDITED ME EVERYTHING BUT $1,000.00 he refuses to give me back $1,000.

So I am out $1,000 on the deal.

NOW I BUY NOTHING IN THE CARIBBEAN!!!

• 3 years later...
I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on buying a Tissot T-Touch Titanium the last few times have been to St. Thomas. It retails for about $900 and I have been offered as low as $650 in one store and as high as $685 in others after discounts.

Do you comparisons and have a set price in mind. Like other items you can negoiate, but don't try and make a low ball offer, it won't get you anywhere. One advantage I often have, which others on a cruise may not, is I have no issues telling them I am staying on the island and will be back if I feel the price is fair. They know I am going to shop it around and make comparisons. In one situation, the gentleman at the store dropped the price $35 ( the $650 price quote)to entice me to buy at that time. I told him I wasn't ready (which I wasn't) and he gave me his card.

Scott

May I ask where you were shopping for the Tissot in St. Thomas? Interested in finding one for my husband when I'm there!

Thanks