Western Caribbean weather

Gotta Go Now

I too am on The Pearl this Sunday and I am pretty scared of the weather forcast. I have excursions booked for three of the four ports and don't know if I should cancel them. One is with the ship and the other two are with independent tour companies. Any suggestions?

I have no advice. This is only my 3rd cruise. Other 2 were on Sky to Bahamas and didn't book anything. We had been thinking of the ruins in Belize but I don't think that sounds like much fun in the rain. We're not big excursion people. Maybe if we were going to Europe or something. We usually just get off, walk around a bit and then go enjoy the almost empty ship.

I would not cancel any tours. Usually it rains for an hour or two if it rains or sometimes less. And it may just be overcast with no rain until the evening. Enjoy. When we were in Roatan it was really nice and then I think we had a 20 minute rain storm and then fine again.

If I were on OP's cruise, I would stop over at the Jamaica and Bahamas destination boards just to see what's offered there.

Seriously, if the storm is forecast to "hit" the Belize area mainland Sunday, and then head easterly, you may well have an Eastern Caribbean cruise. We were on the 10/10 Western and were the only seven day cruise ship to hit the ports we were scheduled to share. We followed Paula and had great weather and a great cruise.

I would not cancel any tours. Usually it rains for an hour or two if it rains or sometimes less. And it may just be overcast with no rain until the evening. Enjoy. When we were in Roatan it was really nice and then I think we had a 20 minute rain storm and then fine again.

Tropical stroms are a little different than typical afternoon summer showers.

Stupid question, if they do change the ports and do the Eastern Caribbean instead of the Western do we get any kind of compensation? Maybe OBC? The only reason I booked the Western Caribbean was because I had not been to any of those ports. I really don't like the Eastern side as I had already been there.

I have no advice. This is only my 3rd cruise. Other 2 were on Sky to Bahamas and didn't book anything. We had been thinking of the ruins in Belize but I don't think that sounds like much fun in the rain. We're not big excursion people. Maybe if we were going to Europe or something. We usually just get off, walk around a bit and then go enjoy the almost empty ship.

The Ruins are great... if the weather cooperates.... (I'd book through ship for Belize because of tendering and time concerns....) I did the Alta Hun and Olde River Belize last time we went and LOVED it... the boat was fun, and not hot...and saw lots of wild life. I highly recommend it, plus if you book through ship and weather is not cooperative, they'll give refund or let you do something else. The first time we went to Belize we did the cave tubing and some members of our party was supposed to snorkel, but because of choppy waters the excursion was canceled (all snorkel and dives were) they got to cave tube for what they paid for snorkel and it was like half price to cave tubing.

Stupid question, if they do change the ports and do the Eastern Caribbean instead of the Western do we get any kind of compensation? Maybe OBC? The only reason I booked the Western Caribbean was because I had not been to any of those ports. I really don't like the Eastern side as I had already been there.

I don't want to come across as rude but you do know it's hurricane season right? I know it is disappointing if you don't get the western itinerary and end of eastern. If you really want to see the western (and you get moved on this trip) you need to book when it's not hurricane season.

You can't count on any caribbean ports during this time of year being a go. Have a great cruise hopefully you get to where you want.

We did Altun Ha ruins on our last cruise it was wonderful. A rainy day would not be as much fun since they won't let you climb up to the top of the largest temple.

Archived