Anyone want to start a new weight loss group with me?

5326jan

Well my scales definitely did not go DOWN yesterday (how could it with all that good Italian food) but it didn't move upwards much either. I almost am to the point where I hate to go out to eat but you can't live your life like that either. Today I am back on track and even last night I tried to do my snacks and eat healthy, so forward I go!:p Also the sun is out here in Indiana so perhaps once the inside chores are done, I can get a little yard work started too.

Have a great Thursday everyone and hang in there!:D

Hey everyone!

Sorry I haven't been on in a while but I've been soooooo busy. Last weekend I finally had a few moments at the house and I did basically nothing! Went out with some friends on Friday night and had a bit too much beer but thoroughly enjoyed it. Dinner at another friend's on Saturday and I behaved. I'm actually finding that a lot easier to do nowadays. A lot of people talk about changing their attitudes towards food and I think that definitely is the key.

I noticed someone (sorry, but I'm at work so I'm trying to do this fast) talking about savoring food and I think that's a large part of it too. For instance, DH took me out for a wonderful dinner last night as it was my birthday. I looked over the menu and really wanted a steak but I didn't want to blow the progress I've made. So I ended up ordering a Ceasar salad with tenderloin tips. That way, I got my taste of steak and still consider that I was pretty good.

Now that's not to say I didn't dip my fork in DH's sour cream and have a deliciously sinful taste of that marvelous concoction. To the point where I closed my eyes and relished every creamy drop. But that was it... one little dip of the fork and I got my taste of what I wanted without having enough to really effect the scale.

Listen to me.... I sound like some itinerant weight loss preacher! Sorry... don't mean to come across like that. But I really do believe that for those of us that are overweight, all the diets in the world aren't going to help if we don't change the attitudes that got us there in the first place. And that means that we have to accept that life is real and there are going to be times when you have something you "shouldn't". It's necessary. We have to enjoy the pleasures that life brings and food is definitely one of them. But I guess what's changed about me is that I try to be reasonable about it. Too much of a good thing..... , you know?

Anyway, I'll shut up now and get to work. Sounds like everyone's doing well. Even those that had small setbacks haven't let it stop them from getting back up on that horse!

Savoring each bite and eating slower are definitely the keys for me. ;) No, you did not come across as someone who thinks they know it all! Not at all. We all have to fall off the wagon once in a while, whether it be for a special occasion, just eating out at some really nice place or even when we cruise. I know when we cruise, I just leave the sweets alone. DH will order something and I take a small "taste"; that is enough and I am just fine. I also tend to leave the breads alone (most of the time) on a cruise. They are usually so good and I know one piece won't be enough so I try to just skip that particular temptation. I'm finding I'm now just fine with the sugar free items and I really enjoy them. Time was I wouldn't touch a sugar free jello! No way!

Okay so listen up everyone, Easter is here in a few days. :rolleyes: Go ahead and have a slice of that yummy ham, sweet potatoes, etc. BUT just small amounts.:p No "going off the deep end" this holiday but do allow yourself to enjoy the holiday. Good Friday services for us this evening and our son arrives tomorrow, so a busy day here for us in Indiana. Got to get things in order and also run by my friend's house who is having a garage sale with proceeds to go to Alzheimer's Research. Have a great day!

Happy Easter to all.

Eeeeek! My elliptical broke last night. :mad:

It feels good, doesn't it, when you know you've finally got yourself in the right mindset about food. You know how to eat healthy and you know how to fit in a little bit of indulgence. That's doing it the right way. Keep up the great work!

Eeeeek! My elliptical broke last night. :mad:

It feels good, doesn't it, when you know you've finally got yourself in the right mindset about food. You know how to eat healthy and you know how to fit in a little bit of indulgence. That's doing it the right way. Keep up the great work!

I am surely trying!:p Scales has not budged one little bit, but I'm not giving up. When I switched over to the Phase II, maybe I'm eating a few too many fruits? Who knows! Anyhow, I try to only have a few bities of any fruit, be it cantaloupe, strawberries or whatever. Tonight I have eaten an apple, sliced into very small pieces. I know the scales will slide down once again, I just have to keep on doing what I'm doing. Oh my yes, each bite just tastes so good to me now; I don't care what it is, everything seems to taste better. I still have a small problem getting the three snacks a day in; just get too busy and forget and before I know it, it's time for the next meal. Even DH doesn't "bug" me about me eating different things than he is eating, so I guess he's jumped on the band wagon with me. Which is really good, because support is so important.

I'm gonna lose this weight! I know I can, I know I can!!!! AND I WILL!!!!:)

p.s. Sorry about your elliptical!

Hi Everyone, I know it seems like I've been a slacker but I've had my 3 grandsons here for the last few days and tomorrow I have to fly #1 back to Colorado. I've had so much fun. My DD and grandsons #2 and 3 (age 2 and 3mos) came from 3 hours away and I flew my oldest grandson, age 3 home for a few days while my DS and DIL went away to a wedding. We've been to the zoo and the park and the playground at the mall. Whew! I'm exhausted. The Easter Bunny came and brought bubbles. I thought I would hyperventilate blowing bubbles for the kids to chase! :o Wow!

I'll be back on Thursday ready to re-join the support system. All the travels have not been good for the diet and I'm sure that I've either gained or maintained in the last two weeks.

We had a great time in Las Vegas and what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas right? :eek: :rolleyes: :o The only good thing was that we walked miles!

Glad to hear you're having such a great time! As for the eating, don't worry about it. A lifestyle has to be malleable enough to accommodate celebrations and that's exactly what it is when the grandbabies are around. You'll get back on track when you get home and you'll have all those wonderful memories you're making too! Have a blast!!!! :D

Glad to hear you're having such a great time! As for the eating, don't worry about it. A lifestyle has to be malleable enough to accommodate celebrations and that's exactly what it is when the grandbabies are around. You'll get back on track when you get home and you'll have all those wonderful memories you're making too! Have a blast!!!! :D

Hey you deserve a break and when we are on vacation sometimes we just have to roll with the punches. Glad you are having so much fun.

Well Easter has come and gone and yes, I will admit I wasn't the best bunny on the block. Meaning, I did indulge in a few bites of things I should not have eaten, but it was a "holiday" for heaven's sake!:p I didn't bother to weigh this a.m. but know the scales didn't go down because of those little nibbles of goodies yesterday. Back on track this a.m. and had my first bowl of oatmeal (no brown sugar...but it wasn't bad) and will get back on this diet horse and ride it till the end.:rolleyes: I wasn't all that bad yesterday and it seems odd to me but I will admit something else. I had a very small piece of pecan pie (which is one of my favorites) and it was actually "too sweet". My son just laughed at me and said "mom you are gonna get a sugar high", but I really didn't enjoy it half as much as I used to. Guess I really have changed my idea of what food is good, etc. Now I doubt I will ever get to the point where chocolate doesn't taste good to me (I am a chocoholic), but I am limiting those as much as I can.

Good luck to all, and as we begin another week, may we all see those dreaded scales take a nose dive!:eek:

Good Morning everyone!

I lost 2 pounds over the last week, making my total loss 20.2 pounds!!! :D Now if I could just start seeing it!!!:rolleyes: Hope everyone has a great day and week!!!

SW: 207.2
CW: 187
GW: 135

Way to go, Rudy!!!!!

<vent on>
I guess I haven't had such a great week or so. A bit too much beer. Must learn to drink liquor more often as I hear it has less calories than beer. And I had a little bit of cake last week (my bday) and wasn't walking at all! So yesterday I get on the scale and it's 2 lbs up and today it's up another lb. I was so ticked yesterday that I walked for like 45 min with my girlfriend. Today I'm beyond frustrated with myself!!!!! I guess maybe I'll just walk all night!!!!!!!! :D

I understand plateaus and I know I'm going to hit them. But a plateau doesn't mean going up! Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!! :D
</vent off>

Thanks for letting me vent, y'all!

Vent all you need Hypermommy! You WILL get back on track!!! Soon your vents will turn into praises!!!

Babs, How are you doing?

5326jan, those little grandkids should have given you quite the workout!

LP, I am so sorry about your eliptical breaking! What are your plans now?

Everyone else...sorry I just can't remember all the names--my memory must be going away with the weight!:p How are you all doing???

Well my weight has just more or less remained the same. It sort of went back up for a few days and has just stayed there. So the 10 lbs I had lost has been like a yoyo lately. I'm still trying hard, but I think with Easter falling this past Sunday, and I baked too many things...just too too tempting. I didn't go completely wild, but will admit I took a few tastes. If only this rain would quit, I could get out and work in the yard and take some walks. One day when it did stop for a while my son and I took a little walk. I know I need to get more exercise because the amount I am eating should show some better results. So vent away whenever you feel the need, we all understand, as we've walked in those same shoes.:( I sometimes feel I want to vent too....but mainly I try to just keep focused and look at that goal I have of wanting to lose some of this FAT! There I said it FAT, FAT, FAT. I hate that word but fat is what we all want to lose....and we just have to keep trying!

Have a great evening.:)

Hi Ladies! This whole month has been a wash for me, as far as weight loss. I just lost my momentum completely and just when I started to get back in the groove, the eliptical broke!! We tried to fix it, but so far it isn't working. :(

I am not sure yet what my options are. I have severe plantar faciitis in my one foot and so the non-impact on my foot was ideal. I could walk around the neighborhood or do some workout videos but those tend to aggrivate my foot when I do so repeatedly. I have to do something though!!!

Maybe I need to get to a gym before work. 5 am wakeup calls just don't seem like fun to me :(

Hi everyone, I haven't checked in in awhile. Still doing pretty good.
It's silly, I know, but I was a little concerned that the weight is coming off easier this time then any of the other times I've tried to lose weight, (usually lose 10 lbs and can't get past that point) so I went to my Dr to get a check up, Everything is great, all labs within normal limits, and I have brought my random blood sugar down out of the "pre diabetes" area.
So far I've lost 20 lbs, and want to get at least another 10 off before we cruise.
SW 169,
CW 148
GW 135 or less

Ummmm, interesting to see someone else dropped the ten pounds and then got stuck there. Same thing has happened to me this time. Oh well,
this a.m. when I weighed the couple extra I had put back on were gone, so I'm back to the loss of ten! Maybe if it warms up some I can get outside and do some exercise...walking, gardening, whatever. I sure hope so.

Next week our son will be gone on a little adventure to France, so during his absence I won't have any good snacks around. It is sure tempting when there is something in the fridge you want and you know you shouldn't eat it.

Hang in there everyone. WE CAN DO THIS! Let's just keep our focus!:)

[quote name='lovepea']Hi Ladies! This whole month has been a wash for me, as far as weight loss. I just lost my momentum completely and just when I started to get back in the groove, the eliptical broke!! We tried to fix it, but so far it isn't working. :(

I am not sure yet what my options are. I have severe plantar faciitis in my one foot and so the non-impact on my foot was ideal. I could walk around the neighborhood or do some workout videos but those tend to aggrivate my foot when I do so repeatedly. I have to do something though!!!

Maybe I need to get to a gym before work. 5 am wakeup calls just don't seem like fun to me :([/quote]

LP: I am so sorry...I know what you mean about needing the non-impact for your foot. I am the same way with my knee...I am not sure what would help though. I know that walking in grass is easier for impact versus cement or pavement. Keep us updated!!!

[quote name='Suzque49']Hi everyone, I haven't checked in in awhile. Still doing pretty good.
It's silly, I know, but I was a little concerned that the weight is coming off easier this time then any of the other times I've tried to lose weight, (usually lose 10 lbs and can't get past that point) so I went to my Dr to get a check up, Everything is great, all labs within normal limits, and I have brought my random blood sugar down out of the "pre diabetes" area.
So far I've lost 20 lbs, and want to get at least another 10 off before we cruise.
SW 169,
CW 148
GW 135 or less[/quote]

Suzque: That is wonderful news about your blood suger!!! You will get the last 10lbs no problem--you still have plenty of time! Keep it up!

[quote name='welovetocruisetwo']Ummmm, interesting to see someone else dropped the ten pounds and then got stuck there. Same thing has happened to me this time. Oh well,
this a.m. when I weighed the couple extra I had put back on were gone, so I'm back to the loss of ten! Maybe if it warms up some I can get outside and do some exercise...walking, gardening, whatever. I sure hope so.

Next week our son will be gone on a little adventure to France, so during his absence I won't have any good snacks around. It is sure tempting when there is something in the fridge you want and you know you shouldn't eat it.

Hang in there everyone. WE CAN DO THIS! Let's just keep our focus!:)[/quote]

Babs: Maybe you are weighing yourself to often??? Weight flucuates day to day, especially for women. Try picking one day a week, at the same time--this way your results are more accurate and steady. Keep up the good work!!

You are all doing so wonderful! I have been struggling with my body image lately. I know that I have lost 20 pounds; but I just don't see it on myself. That is the part that is frustrating for me, at least. I see all kinds of other people that have lost 20-30lbs and they look amazing--you can totally see the difference in them. Me? Nothing, zero, zilch!!! Oh well, keep on pushing through...

Have a great week everyone! And remember...it is not the cake on the counter or the ice cream in the freezer that are our weaknesses...it is our hands scooping and cutting that ice cream and cake to eat!!!:rolleyes::p

[quote name='RudyBC']
Have a great week everyone! And remember...it is not the cake on the counter or the ice cream in the freezer that are our weaknesses...it is our hands scooping and cutting that ice cream and cake to eat!!!:rolleyes::p[/quote]

I love that reminder! Thanks!

Today I dusted off a walk away the pounds dvd that I had and did 30 minutes of that this morning. I figure I just have to keep moving somehow. The elliptical might have burned more calories, but some calories burned is better than no calories burned, right?

Hi Everyone, I'm finally back. Many flight delays and I got home about 3AM, so it's been a chill day for me, but I'm happy to be back and able to get back on track. I like the advice that are choices are the problem, not the food..

Today I am 100% back into my program and will weigh myself in the AM. Not looking forward to that. :rolleyes:

Talk to you tomorrow!:D

I weigh myself in the morning as soon as I get up, before I dress even. I am coming up on 30 days I've been dieting. I think each of us have to do what they feel best about. Maybe for some of you weighing once a week works okay, but I'm sorry I need the "visual" of seeing that number on the scales. In fact, I'm seriously thinking about a digital scales I see they have at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Noticed it in a flyer we got today. My scales is really old and you can make it move back and forth by the way you stand on it. I think if I had a new digitial one, it would be much more accurate. Not sure I will buy this new one, it is not cheap, but anyhow I'm thinking about it.

I no longer have my monthly visitor, been a long time since I had that problem/situation to deal with, so I don't think my weight fluctuates all that much from day to day.:p

Anyhow I appreciate all the advice and hope I've not been too blunt about why I want to weigh myself more often than some of you feel I should. I may, eventually, back down on this but for right now, I just feel I need to see that number.

Have a great evening and keep up the good work.:)

Hi[B] Babs[/B], I wouldn't worry about weighing daily if it gives you comfort. Just know that you are going to fluctuate several pounds a day due to fluid content. If you use a "range of weight" and you allow yourself to stay within the range you will be fine. Once you go above your range for several weigh ins, you can adjust your diet, but don't do it if you change 2-3 times a day. :eek: If you go below your range for several weigh ins, then you are probably on the right tract and you can downwardly adjust a week at a time. No matter what the scale says, your "supreme signal" is how your clothes fit. Muscle weighs more than fat, but is more compact. You may weigh the same buy be smaller, so don't undo the momentum you achieve doing some kind of exercise just because of a number. :)

If a number helps you to be motivated, then do what works for you. I weigh in every day too. Just know that even if you don't have a monthly visitor, your weight can vary a little from day to day or from morning to night, etc.

Also, I have an electronic scale and depending how you stand, it also will affect the number. If I stand towards the front, it can be up to a whole pound lower than if I stand toward the back of it.

I think the biggest thing is to be consistent in what you do, and also to look for the bigger trend. Is your weight going down over a period of time? Do you feel better? That sort of thing.

But as always, you know you the best.

Good morning.
I have to admit today I am rather down.:( Wish I wasn't, but I gotta tell it like it is. Today is day 30 of my South Beach diet and the first two weeks were just great. I lost between 10 and 10 1/2 pounds (water I'm sure) but in the past two weeks, the scales has gone up and then down. This morning I was right at the 10 pound loss...but not another pound or even half a pound. Oh I am not giving up, I won't do that, but it is so disheartening to restrict one's self so much for that amount of time and not see a bigger loss. Yes, I realize ten pounds is good...and when I think of it in those terms....ten pounds of butter or 40 sticks of butter....I try to be happy. I just want to see that dumb scales dip below the number it is stuck on:rolleyes: I am giving myself a pep talk, even as I type, but I'm afraid today is gonna just be a complete downer for me.

We've had so much rain, and it is cold and windy a lot and I'm just not healthy enough to brave either the rain or the wind. I know I need to get my butt moving and today I promise I will try. Yesterday I went and picked up some bricks from a nearby house that was torn down, so I could place them around my small garden. I don't park near the stores we go to shop, always parking way out, so we have to walk and I am pretty busy just here at home doing my normal chores. I do try to keep active and get some exercise; I guess just not enough. So today I will try very hard to move more, get some exercise and hopefully in a week or so, I will see the scales move downward again.

Hope everyone has a good day and sorry to lay this burden on all of you, but I do need someone to talk to about this. Thanks for listening to my complaints.:o

Archived