Pilot Baot On Strike On St. Thomas!!!!!

Yes We Can

Just one more reason to AVOID St. Thomas! High crime,(14 yr. old cruise ship passenger tragically murdered during a gang shootout) Rude people, endless construction that goes NOWHERE, Failure to establish well organized services, and full of lowlifes, druggies, bums, drunks-n-losers! my advice.........STAY ON THE SHIP!!!!!

St. Thomas sucks. They've allowed way too many cruise ships and it's not even worth getting off the ship anymore... 10-15 years ago things seemed much different. The last time I went I made the mistake of taking a hellish cab into town and then immediately another hellish ride back to a relaxing, beautiful ship almost all to myself. If you do get off the ship, it might be a good idea to pray to a magical god. Ha ha.:)

Just one more reason to AVOID St. Thomas! High crime,(14 yr. old cruise ship passenger tragically murdered during a gang shootout) Rude people, endless construction that goes NOWHERE, Failure to establish well organized services, and full of lowlifes, druggies, bums, drunks-n-losers! my advice.........STAY ON THE SHIP!!!!!

you just described most of this country.. so i guess you dont go to any cities in the US either.

We live in a dangerous world.. thats the way it is.. Im not going to let it keep me from enjoying my life. And if its my day for my thread of life to be cut then... thats the plan.. but im going out smiling having never given in to the fear.

I'm kinda tired of going there myself. I usually just do a little shopping and people watching at Havensite and spend the rest of the day on the ship. Frankly, that's about all I do in any of the Carribean ports these days. I'm more of a ship person rather than a port person.

I'm kinda tired of going there myself. I usually just do a little shopping and people watching at Havensite and spend the rest of the day on the ship. Frankly, that's about all I do in any of the Carribean ports these days. I'm more of a ship person rather than a port person.

Yes, me too. I mean, I love waking up in a different place everyday, but I live for sea days.

Simple solution. The VI's have thousands of people who know how to drive a boat.

Fire the folks who do not show for work without a valid doctors's excuse. File a restraining order for the fired people forbidding them to be within 100 yards of the port.

And, do not, under any circumstance, rehire them.

Treat them just like Reagan did the air traffic controllers.

Really? People have a right to earn a fair wage! When they are not taken seriously by their bosses (in this case the government controlled port authority) Fire them! I say fire the port authority for squandering and bad management! The problem is that trickle down does not trickle down! I am seriously not trying to start an argument, But being in a position where I have not had a COLA adjustment in 3 years, I am starting to loose a standard of living that allowed me to keep the lights on, and with proper planning a vacation on big ship once in awhile, with the cost of all services going up up up up and up, I don't see an opportunity to afford another vacation any time soon if ever! Think of the devastation that would occur to the families of the fired pilots.

Really? People have a right to earn a fair wage! When they are not taken seriously by their bosses (in this case the government controlled port authority) Fire them! I say fire the port authority for squandering and bad management! The problem is that trickle down does not trickle down! I am seriously not trying to start an argument, But being in a position where I have not had a COLA adjustment in 3 years, I am starting to loose a standard of living that allowed me to keep the lights on, and with proper planning a vacation on big ship once in awhile, with the cost of all services going up up up up and up, I don't see an opportunity to afford another vacation any time soon if ever! Think of the devastation that would occur to the families of the fired pilots.

Great Point!:):):):):)

Reagan fired the air traffic controllers because they broke the law and their strike was illegal. I'm not sure if it is illegal for these people to strike, but it is my guess that it is (thus the "sick out") If that is the case then yes they should be fired. If it hurts their families then so be it, they knew the rules when they took the job. As for your COLA if you don't like the way you're treated you are free to move on. If the economy is so bad there are no jobs to move to then you should understand why there have been no raises.

WOW..unfortunately you just described the world not just St. Thomas....

Reagan fired the air traffic controllers because they broke the law and their strike was illegal. I'm not sure if it is illegal for these people to strike, but it is my guess that it is (thus the "sick out") If that is the case then yes they should be fired. If it hurts their families then so be it, they knew the rules when they took the job. As for your COLA if you don't like the way you're treated you are free to move on. If the economy is so bad there are no jobs to move to then you should understand why there have been no raises.

I Respectfully Disagree with you. I don't care what kind of job it is. If someone don't get pay for the work they did they have the right to strike.

I Respectfully Disagree with you. I don't care what kind of job it is. If someone don't get pay for the work they did they have the right to strike.

Actually they don't. Typical government safety jobs do not allow you to strike under any circumstances. Of course if you are not paid (which I don't know is the case here, my understanding it was pay rates) you can quit, which is in essencially what they did here.

Sorry to hear that. Wife and I were there 2 weeks ago and loved it! Already booked again for May 2011!

No COLA, how terrible. My household has experienced a 10% cut. The economy sux, so while most people are getting pay cuts (me), or no raises(you) - these people want to strike? Give me a break. There are probably hundreds waiting in line for their job.

The guys going on strike, losing their jobs, should have thought about that before striking.

You said it better than I did

If their bosses withheld their pay check, then they have grounds for a lawsuit. If they want MORE pay, then fire their butts for not showing up.

This strike is because of what's going on in France - the French Minister wants to change their socialized retirement plan from retiring at age 60 to retire at age 62. The people over there are revolting. Remember part of St. Maarten is also French.

WTH?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

We're talking about St. Thomas, U.S.V.I, not St. Maarten!

This strike is because of what's going on in France - the French Minister wants to change their socialized retirement plan from retiring at age 60 to retire at age 62. The people over there are revolting. Remember part of St. Maarten is also French.

'Tis true that part of St. Maarten is French. However, we're talking about a strike in St. Thomas.;)

Dianne

You have the wrong island. We are talking about St. Thomas:confused:

Unless you have some inside information that you wish to share, the "sick-in" was a statement that the union was unhappy that a new contract has yet to be finalized. The final sticking point in contract negotiations seems to be pay rates.

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2010/10/27/vipa-marine-employees-return-work-after-talks-lt-gov

A port employee, who spoke only on condition of anonymity, told the Source in an interview Wednesday that many nonmanagement employees in the Marine Division are troubled by the lack of resolution with their contract.

The Marine Division employees are represented by the Seafarers International Union of North America AFL-CIO (SIU). It has been four years since their contract expired, and many of the employees affected make less than $25,000 annually and have not received a raise or any bonus in the last four years, the employee said.

“First, we need to address the unfair attitude and outlook in blaming these employees,” the employee said. “No one has taken time to realize that these people are suffering. The whole crux is the negotiations. They were close to finalizing the contract, and the Port has refused to come to the table.”

Hobson concurred that, with the exception of economic issues (i.e., raises), most of the new contract negotiations are complete. Hobson said he believed the period since the old contract expired had been three years.

“Everybody is bound by the remaining articles of the agreement.” Hobson said.

The employees are dissatisfied with what they called the authority’s failure to return to the negotiating table and filed an Unfair Labor Practice Charge, despite orders from the Public Employees Labor Relation board for VIPA to return.

Hobson said that this order did not involve the SIU employees, but another union.

Archived