Pilot Baot On Strike On St. Thomas!!!!!

Yes We Can

well damn.. if this causes carnival to skip this port for a while.. where else would it divert? i am on the nov 6th sailing.. 7 days with only 2 ports? or would they go somewhere else? not that im complaining.. Im on a cruise dammit.. i dont care if it ever stops anywhere.. including back home.. "Carnival take me away... "

well damn.. if this causes carnival to skip this port for a while.. where else would it divert? i am on the nov 6th sailing.. 7 days with only 2 ports? or would they go somewhere else? not that im complaining.. Im on a cruise dammit.. i dont care if it ever stops anywhere.. including back home.. "Carnival take me away... "

As long as the Dream keeps the SXM stop, it wouldn't bother me too much (at all) if the other two were skipped. :)

Hi everyone, just a note. We're not saying officially it's NOT a strike, but the tourism rep said they were still investigating. Either way, the ships will send out their own tenders to pick up the pilots ... bypassing the 'coxswain seamen,' as the St. Thomas rep called them.

We'll definitely look into the taxi drivers, too.

Hi everyone, just a note. We're not saying officially it's NOT a strike, but the tourism rep said they were still investigating. Either way, the ships will send out their own tenders to pick up the pilots ... bypassing the 'coxswain seamen,' as the St. Thomas rep called them.

We'll definitely look into the taxi drivers, too.

Great job, Dan. Thanks for staying on top of it...

:)

I know you are right and the captains must have enough experience to do that.But isn't it obligatory to have a pilot to guide you into the harbor? it remember me on a RCI cruise when they asked the captain what does the pilot do exactly when he comes onboard and his answer was have a cup of coffee and some muffins!

I figured it was some kind of a political thing. When you do something the same every week you don't really need someone else to come show you how to do it.

Just one more reason to AVOID St. Thomas! High crime,(14 yr. old cruise ship passenger tragically murdered during a gang shootout) Rude people, endless construction that goes NOWHERE, Failure to establish well organized services, and full of lowlifes, druggies, bums, drunks-n-losers! my advice.........STAY ON THE SHIP!!!!!

Just one more reason to AVOID St. Thomas! High crime,(14 yr. old cruise ship passenger tragically murdered during a gang shootout) Rude people, endless construction that goes NOWHERE, Failure to establish well organized services, and full of lowlifes, druggies, bums, drunks-n-losers! my advice.........STAY ON THE SHIP!!!!!

You have alot of hate in your heart. May god be with you. I will say a long prayer for you tonight. Prayer Works!!

Sounds like (insert and major us city here).....

I must say that this whole event is very interesting.

V.I. Port Authority Executive Director Kenn Hobson was in the Dominican Republic to promote the U.S. Virgin Islands as a destination for cruise ships.

Recents issues related to crime and murder on the USVI have been hightlighted as well as an increase in police presence at the Coco Beach and Coral World....

its one of the highest unsolved murder rates under the US flag.

Read the article by susan spano trouble in paradise - do a search for it.

Carnival Cruise Line pulling out of the island in May 2002. - St Croix

Charlotte Amalie, has the highest crime rate in the Virgin Islands.

Makes you wonder if St Thomas is becoming another Jamaica...

I have never had a problem while in St. Thomas and find it to be a beautiful island. I hope all things get settled and the police get a handle on the crime there, as there is no need for innocent people getting killed.

Simple solution. The VI's have thousands of people who know how to drive a boat.

Fire the folks who do not show for work without a valid doctors's excuse. File a restraining order for the fired people forbidding them to be within 100 yards of the port.

And, do not, under any circumstance, rehire them.

Treat them just like Reagan did the air traffic controllers.

Archived