Beaches in Cozumel within short walking distance of pier?

southernmomga

Hello! We are travelling over Thanksgiving on a Western Caribbean cruise. Cozumel is one of the ports we will be visiting. We will be with a 7 year old, 5 year old, and 10 month old. Can anyone recommend a beach within a short walking distance of the pier (or do we tender? not sure). We do not want to take a cab or bus, because of the car seat/seat belt issues. Thank you!

Hello! We are travelling over Thanksgiving on a Western Caribbean cruise. Cozumel is one of the ports we will be visiting. We will be with a 7 year old, 5 year old, and 10 month old. Can anyone recommend a beach within a short walking distance of the pier (or do we tender? not sure). We do not want to take a cab or bus, because of the car seat/seat belt issues. Thank you!

You dock not tender.

There are a couple of threads on this from last week or the week before, over a page or two.

Here's one link...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1286529

What ship are you on? I fyou dock at Punta Langosta, the public beach, Playa Calatita, is very close by.

Otherwise from the International Pier or Puerta Maya, walking might be a bit far for the kids though. And you can always ask the guy at the head of the taxi line (Carlos?) about taxi's with car seats.

Or maybe someone who has younger children can share what they did.

Discover Mexico may also be of interest to your family. It's not too far from the two southern piers. http://www.discovermexico.org/

Thank you for the reply!

We are on the MSC Poesia. How do I find out which specific pier?

Someone on the cruising with kids board mentioned that a hotel/resort near the pier may let us use their beach and facilities for a fee. But I need to know which pier...

Thank you for the reply!

We are on the MSC Poesia. How do I find out which specific pier?

Someone on the cruising with kids board mentioned that a hotel/resort near the pier may let us use their beach and facilities for a fee. But I need to know which pier...

With 2 Carnival ships in port the same day, you'll most likely be at either the International Pier or Punta Langosta. If the International Pier, there are two nearby hotles...Park Royal and El Cid la Ceiba. I don't think they have beaches per se, sort like La Palapita. PR does have a small pool though. They both do charge for day use, not sure of the fee. There are no hotels on the beach within short walking distance of Punta Langosta. Best to try the public beach, Playa Calatita.

With 2 Carnival ships in port the same day, you'll most likely be at either the International Pier or Punta Langosta. If the International Pier, there are two nearby hotles...Park Royal and El Cid la Ceiba. I don't think they have beaches per se, sort like La Palapita. PR does have a small pool though. They both do charge for day use, not sure of the fee. There are no hotels on the beach within short walking distance of Punta Langosta. Best to try the public beach, Playa Calatita.

I called MSC today and they told me the dock in Cozumel is Punta Langosta. So no walking distance beaches there? It looks like none of our ports of call (Key West, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman (Georgetown), and Cozumel have beaches within walking distance of the pier. :(

I called MSC today and they told me the dock in Cozumel is Punta Langosta. So no walking distance beaches there? It looks like none of our ports of call (Key West, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman (Georgetown), and Cozumel have beaches within walking distance of the pier. :(

If you get on gooogle earth for Cozumel you can tell alot about the beaches and how far they are apart/sidewalks etc. It is a neat tool for searching and looking without leaving your computer.

Thought I should inform you that the road leading from the pier to town is all torn up, as they are replacing the water pipes, so much more dangerous for walking with kids than getting in a taxi for a 10 minute ride would be to whichever beach you deem best.

Thought I should inform you that the road leading from the pier to town is all torn up, as they are replacing the water pipes, so much more dangerous for walking with kids than getting in a taxi for a 10 minute ride would be to whichever beach you deem best.

It´s been this way for months and doesn´t look like it will get any better by Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the information. I have told the kids that most likely they won't be going to a beach on this cruise. My husband and I will not put the kids on a taxi or bus without proper car seats, and none of the ports seem to have beaches within walking distance. Oh well, we'll still have a great time! :)

Thanks for the information. I have told the kids that most likely they won't be going to a beach on this cruise. My husband and I will not put the kids on a taxi or bus without proper car seats, and none of the ports seem to have beaches within walking distance. Oh well, we'll still have a great time! :)

In Grand Cayman you can rent a car from AVIS with car seats, they even ask on the web-site when reserving if you want 1 or 2. It would be sad to take kids on a cruise and not take them to the beach.

People who live in cities take there children on buses using public transportation daily and they don't have car seats. Just food for thought

We took a carseat with us. Booster seats for the older two are small to carry. I've never seen anyone try to use a safety seat on a bus. It would be a shame to miss the beautiful beaches and activities at those ports. That's the part of cruising our kids and GD have loved the most.

• 2 weeks later...
...It looks like none of our ports of call (Key West, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman (Georgetown), and Cozumel have beaches within walking distance of the pier....I have told the kids that most likely they won't be going to a beach on this cruise. My husband and I will not put the kids on a taxi or bus without proper car seats, and none of the ports seem to have beaches within walking distance.

Seriously? You are going to go all the way to these beautiful Caribbean ports, many of which have traffic moving about 15- 25 miles an hour along the ocean roads....and you won't take them to a BEACH by taxi because Mexico and the other countries visited don't require or provide car seats for public transport?

Why take them out of the US at all? :eek: As a parent who travelled extensively with our children when they were young, I think you are making a mistake that will limit the return you get on your experience.

No offense intended, but I think that is overly protective, and...well....silly. Cozumel has some great beaches an easy and slow taxi ride away. You should explore them with your kids in my opinion.

Johncn

Easy and slow taxi ride? I don't trust that any taxi ride will be easy or slow. I have 42 pound, 31 pound, and 20 pound children. They need proper protection in a car. I won't risk it, end of story. We are going on this cruise as a group of 22 people. My parents, my sisters, my kid's cousins. We could never leave the ship and still have a great time. A cruise would not have been my first choice for a vacation for our family, but my parents planned this whole thing and this is what they picked. Would I have liked to visit a beach? Of course. But it does not change my mind that children need proper protection in cars. The fact is that an accident at even 15 miles per hour with a child that is not secured properly can cause serious injury or death.

...I won't risk it, end of story. ...The fact is that an accident at even 15 miles per hour with a child that is not secured properly can cause serious injury or death.

You may want to consider an extended stay at a theme park with fake beaches in the future rather than travel to other countries...lol...but each to their own.

Good luck to you, and I sincerely hope you and your group have a great time.

Johncn

Easy and slow taxi ride? I don't trust that any taxi ride will be easy or slow. I have 42 pound, 31 pound, and 20 pound children. They need proper protection in a car. I won't risk it, end of story. We are going on this cruise as a group of 22 people. My parents, my sisters, my kid's cousins. We could never leave the ship and still have a great time. A cruise would not have been my first choice for a vacation for our family, but my parents planned this whole thing and this is what they picked. Would I have liked to visit a beach? Of course. But it does not change my mind that children need proper protection in cars. The fact is that an accident at even 15 miles per hour with a child that is not secured properly can cause serious injury or death.

And, what will you do when your kids go to school? My grandson is in kindergarten and barely weighs 30 pounds. According to state law he still has to be in a car seat. Yet, he takes the school bus every day without benefit of even a seat belt. FYI - I venture to say that most of us in our 50's never rode in a car seat nor did we even have seat belts until we were nearly adults. OMG and we rode bikes without helmets. We not only survived - we thrived. A short taxi ride without a car seat is not the end of the world.

Really, folks. BACK OFF. She said that she's not willing to put her kids lives at risk in a Taxi (as far as I can tell, you can't take a school bus from the port to the beach :rolleyes:, and their safety is quite a different issue than children in cars without the proper safety restraints). The question on the table is if there are beaches that they can walk to from the pier. Not sure why everyone wants to question the parenting decisions that SHE gets to make for HER family.

Southernmomga, I applaude you for taking your children's safety seriously. Are the odds in your favor that you would be okay to take a taxi? Yes. However, I am right there with you in that if that ONE chance happened to YOUR family, you could never live with it. Good for you! The laws of physics don't change just because you're in a different country that doesn't have the same safety laws in place for children Anyone who has been in a crash before (even at a slow speed) understands just how serious things can be in a BLINK of an eye! I've been there. It's horrible.

As for surviving without safety seats and bike helmets when we were kids...I never did understand that argument. Times change. Life is VERY different on the roads now. We know much more about how to protect ourselves than we used to. And, if you think about it, the only reason you can say, "We did it and survived" is because you are one of the lucky ones. Really.

Wow. This issue makes me HOT, and I can't believe what some of you are implying that this mother is doing to her children's lives because she wants to keep them safe. ugh.

Really, folks. BACK OFF. ....I am right there with you in that if that ONE chance happened to YOUR family, you could never live with it. Good for you! ...the only reason you can say, "We did it and survived" is because you are one of the lucky ones...Wow. This issue makes me HOT, and I can't believe what some of you are implying that this mother is doing to her children's lives because she wants to keep them safe. ugh.

Cuppycake,

Uh...we expressed a difference of opinion.

The OP will of course do what is right for her, and I certainly don't have a problem with that...but, it's not what was right for me and my family. She said a cruise wasn't her first choice for a vacation, and if she expects North American consumer and child protection regulations in place in each foreign port, then she is 100% RIGHT in knowing that foreign port exploration is less than an ideal choice for her. She's OK with the trade off. She'll do beaches with the kids elsewhere.

The last time I checked, though, voicing a difference of opinion was acceptable in a DISCUSSION FORUM thread...lol. You say "back off", but what you then proceed to do is give a defense and rationale that is LONGER than the original posts combined. :D

Look, opinions are like elbows...everybody has them. We welcome YOUR thoughts, but please refrain from telling us to hold our opinions while you express yours. It doesn't quite work that way..ha ha ha. Oh, wait. Maybe that is the NEW "free speech" I keep hearing so much about.

We could agree to differ.

Johncn

We could agree to differ.

Johncn

Understand, please, that I'm simply sick and tired of coming to these forums and seeing people attacked (yes, attacked) about something they weren't even asking.

Discussions are nice, and I welcome differences of opinion. However, to imply that she is somehow doing a diservice to her children because she won't put them in a foreign taxi since she feels they will be unsafe is annoying.

Yes, I most likely added to the problem, in that i didn't answer the OPs question either. I guess this was just the "straw" and all that for me, and I felt the need to vent.

As for the NEW "free speech"...ha! Don't even get me started :eek:

Peace.

NO seat belts on school buses! I would rent a car in cozumel then and use the seat belts. The beaches are only minutes in a cab. The roads they take have little traffic. You could ask them to go a bit slower if you do this route. By the way: The pools will have the ocean water in them. Stay on the ship while it is nice and quiet and use the pool...same ocean water, same sun!

We just did MSC POESIA and I love them. Enjoy your cruise.( which you are on already!)

Anyone here know where Crown Princess docks so we can just walk to the beach? We were just in Cozumel and we took a cab to Corona Beach and found it lovely entrance in and out of the ocean and nice place to hang out, but very few fish to see...so this time, we just want a beach close to the port.

I know this is the Cozumel board, but this is for Grand Cayman. As an option, go to Paradise Club and Grill. It is very close to the tender dock. The entry into the water is very rocky, so make sure the kids have water shoes. It is not a very large "beach" and will get crowded as the day goes on, so go early.

AbanksEntrance.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I come back to see this. Thanks for defending my message board honor, cuppycakemom. ;) It all worked out, there was a very nice public beach ($2.50 per adult) in Ocho Rios Jamaica. It was the only beach we went to, but the kids had a great time. WE did not even get off the ship in Cozumel or Key West. And camofwilliamsburg, you are right. My kids loved the kiddie pool on Deck 13. :)

The taxi ride from FLL airport to the ship was fine, although the driver charged us extra since it took my husband a few extra minutes to the carseats installed. However, the taxi ride back the the airport after the cruise was another story. No time for carseats, just an infant in the Ergo (baby carrier) strapped to my front, while the older kids sat next to me in shoulder belts. I was very stressed during that taxi ride. :(

we were just at ElSid Laceiba.. right next to the international pier.. they charged 13.00 per person with 10.00 of it gong towards food and drinks.. very very nice.. a lovely pool and nice padded chaise lounges.. nice restaurant with excellent food..good stairs into the water, however as all the beaches in Cozumel there are coral heads in the water so you need to be careful.. we snorkeled there ..the water was amazingly clean even with all the cruise ships there.. the area is roped off so no boats can come into the swimming area.. it's not a sandy walk in beach for kids....but you need no taxi to get to it.. just walk out the port gates and it's 1/2 block away

Archived